Macan 2014-Current

No electric steering column after January

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 08:43 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

lol @ Grey Coupe

I see in another thread that the electric column adjustment mechanism is prone to clicking.
It seemed a bit fishy that with all the complex systems in these cars that some basic controller chip a motor and some cogs (like in the seat mechanism) should be in such short supply.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:16 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Wait.

For all you who minimize the absence of electrically adjustable steering, just a moment please.

I ordered EZ access because I wanted it. Life will go on without it, but I would prefer to have it, and so chose it as an option.

I expect there is a wide variety of options you chose or bought on your current car one could choose, that if ordered and then unilaterally removed by Porsche out of manufacturing necessity, there would be plenty here singing opera and playing sad violins.

Pray for peace.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:42 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Here's the thing. I set everything and pretty much forget about it. Not having the electric steering column doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that we all paid for this feature but some of us didn't received it. Porsche needs to compensate all of us who are effected and not some. I hate law suits but this has class action lawsuit written all over it.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:51 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Betcha everyone who raises their hand with a VIN is compensated per their local market.

My point is options are some of the most personally appealing aspects of an ordered car. Think of something you selected as an option on your last car, having it dropped and having people weigh in to tell you it doesn't really matter...
The following users liked this post:
noodle9527 (04-17-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 05:39 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

My fiance and I have decided we want to get a new Macan S to complement my 992. Unfortunately, the manual steering rack is a deal breaker for us.

Normally I would not care as I just set and forget, but this will be a shared car that we both drive. With the manual column we'd each have to reposition the steering wheel every time we drive. I'm also a bit OCD about my driving position being exactly the same when I drive.

I'm hoping they are able to add it back for MY23.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I can’t find the letter with the $500 certificate from Porsche, I asked my sales person to see if there was anything known to take it off the cost of the car when we traded in our 2016 Macan S today, but they didn’t. Guess I’ll ask Porsche NA if I can get another coupon..
Old 04-20-2022, 10:50 AM
ADC1
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I appreciate bringing this to our attention. We have the feature now our 18 Macan S with 18 way seats and like it. Can we live without it? Sure.
We were looking to order a new Macan S and no one mentioned this.
The following users liked this post:
MidCoastMainer (04-21-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

So if you ordered the electric column ( with memory ) and the chip was missing ( due to shortage ) I though the dealer had to move the column to split the difference between two primary drivers ( if you share the vehicle ). That led me to conclude that manual controls were not on the column ( redundant ).

If that is true, and there are no module chips for the wheel control, the dealer is not going to retrofit a manual column either, correct ?
Old 05-10-2022, 06:28 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
So if you ordered the electric column ( with memory ) and the chip was missing ( due to shortage ) I though the dealer had to move the column to split the difference between two primary drivers ( if you share the vehicle ). That led me to conclude that manual controls were not on the column ( redundant ).

If that is true, and there are no module chips for the wheel control, the dealer is not going to retrofit a manual column either, correct ?
They can't just put a chip into a manual column. What this first happened, Porsche installed manual columns into vehicles that were supposed to come with electric ones with the promise that they would remove the entire manual stereing column and replace it by installing an electric column once the parts arrived. They later changed that policy (probably because of cost) and instead said that any 2022 Macans built after a certain date (I believe it was in January) would come with a permanent manual column that would not get switched out but since the specifications at the time of ordering had promised an electric one, they gave the affected buyers a $500 rebate coupon.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:33 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beefchopper
They can't just put a chip into a manual column. What this first happened, Porsche installed manual columns into vehicles that were supposed to come with electric ones with the promise that they would remove the entire manual stereing column and replace it by installing an electric column once the parts arrived. They later changed that policy (probably because of cost) and instead said that any 2022 Macans built after a certain date (I believe it was in January) would come with a permanent manual column that would not get switched out but since the specifications at the time of ordering had promised an electric one, they gave the affected buyers a $500 rebate coupon.
Wasn't there a point in time with this shortage where the electric columns were equipped (with motors) but without the module? This required a dealer with PWIS to set the column's extension and tilt (during delivery to customer) until the chips were available.

Fast forward-only manual columns are installed in the cars, and there won't be any additional dealer visits to remedy it.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:39 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Wasn't there a point in time with this shortage where the electric columns were equipped (with motors) but without the module? This required a dealer with PWIS to set the column's extension and tilt (during delivery to customer) until the chips were available.

Fast forward-only manual columns are installed in the cars, and there won't be any additional dealer visits to remedy it.
Perhaps my SA was wrong, but that is not what he told me. He said at that point his dealership was receiving the Macans with regular fully manually adjustable columns and had to remove those entire columns when they received electric replacements. I don't see how what you are describing is possible. The electric columns do not have a lever to release the column so that it can be manually adjusted. I don't think and electric column without a chip would be able to be adjusted at all while waiting for the chip to arrive. If that is correct, I doubt Porsche would let a dealer release a car that way.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:27 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Perhaps my SA was wrong, but that is not what he told me. He said at that point his dealership was receiving the Macans with regular fully manually adjustable columns and had to remove those entire columns when they received electric replacements. I don't see how what you are describing is possible. The electric columns do not have a lever to release the column so that it can be manually adjusted. I don't think and electric column without a chip would be able to be adjusted at all while waiting for the chip to arrive. If that is correct, I doubt Porsche would let a dealer release a car that way.
My understanding is that the PWIS performed the control function that the module would have performed. The chip being in the control module, while the electric motors and gears are in the column.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:58 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

This. As far as I read there was never a time it was just a chip or programming change by the dealer. It was that the entire column had to be swapped out when an electric one became available. That program ended mid-Jan 2022.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nickshu
This. As far as I read there was never a time it was just a chip or programming change by the dealer. It was that the entire column had to be swapped out when an electric one became available. That program ended mid-Jan 2022.
Check this thread on the Cayenne forum. Chips for Cayenne ? Why would they treat one model line different than the other ?

GTS will be delivered without ability to adjust steering column due to chip shortage - Page 10 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 05-20-2022, 03:26 AM
karlsino
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche China is providing following two options to customers impacted by this issue.
1. Swap to a electric steering column later and 1 year extended warranty
2. CNY13800(~US$2000) voucher and 1 year extended warranty

Previously Porsche China was providing no compensation and there are controversies about this. Under the pressure Porsche China reversed the course and provided compensations.

Last edited by karlsino; 05-20-2022 at 03:43 AM.

Quick Reply: No electric steering column after January