Macan 2014-Current

No electric steering column after January

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 06:15 AM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No electric steering column after January

Dealer informed that all Macans (including GTS) built after Jan.19th will have a manual steering column. ….chip shortage sucks! Wondering if I should cancel GTS order….

Anyway, fyi, dealer shared official communication from Porsche:

“Beginning with January 19 production, all Macans were built without Electric Steering Column Adjustment. This will continue for the duration of 2022 Macan production. Furthermore, no retrofit is intended nor planned for these vehicles. This impacts every model regardless of Standard Equipment.”
Old 01-29-2022, 09:06 AM
MTVP49
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm strongly considering it as a deal-breaker. It is not acceptable on an $80 + K vehicle. If they put it in writing that at some point they will retrofit it to full power in the near future. I'll not cancel my order.

Last edited by MTVP49; 01-29-2022 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Grey Coupe (02-12-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:33 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

Another car company with electric steering wheel needs and far greater volume than Porsche is getting those chips.

Coming from old school Porsches last 35 years, it would not be a deal breaker for me. YMMV.
VT Blue (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:52 AM
hammergjh
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I couldn’t care less. Manual adjustments work fine.
patrickoleas (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 10:38 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

It is only a problem if the vehicle is driven by more than one person of different physical dimensions. The is pretty typical for a husband and wife sharing the vehicle.

I guess Porsche forgot to reduce the price by the value of the feature they're no longer providing.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:01 AM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The value of reduction was a useless $179. Here is the rest of that Porsche notice. I had not included it all above:

Portal

(MY22) Macan III – Electric Steering Column Adjustment Discontinuation

The ongoing global semiconductor shortages has forced the permanent discontinuation of the electrically adjustable steering column for all (MY22) Macan III models. This impacts all Macan models produced beginning calendar week 3, January 2022, and future months. Further information on identifying these vehicles will be updated within this post.

Please note this impact differs based on the Macan model as detailed below:
  • Macan (2.0L) / 95BAU1:
  •  
    • Vehicles equipped with Power Seats (8-Way) are not affected as the manually adjusted steering column is standard
    • Vehicles with any Power Seat upgrade (14-/18-Way) – Memory Package will exclude the electrically adjustable steering column and include a manually adjusted column
  • Macan S & GTS / 95BBV1 & 95BBW1:
  •  
    • Driver Memory Package is a standard feature; therefore, all of these models will exclude the electrically adjustable steering column beginning CW3 andinclude a manually adjusted column

Please note: Pricing for optional seats and packages will remain the same. PCNA will offer a compensation price adjustment for all stock (LF) units impacted by this change. Dealers with impacted vehicles will receive a credit for option wholesale price ($179) via the incentive payment process, processed automatically in the month following the wholesale event. PCNA expects your Dealership to pass this price reduction on to the customer.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:19 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo power
The value of reduction was a useless $179. Here is the rest of that Porsche notice. I had not included it all above:

Portal

(MY22) Macan III – Electric Steering Column Adjustment Discontinuation

The ongoing global semiconductor shortages has forced the permanent discontinuation of the electrically adjustable steering column for all (MY22) Macan III models. This impacts all Macan models produced beginning calendar week 3, January 2022, and future months. Further information on identifying these vehicles will be updated within this post.

Please note this impact differs based on the Macan model as detailed below:
  • Macan (2.0L) / 95BAU1:
  •  
    • Vehicles equipped with Power Seats (8-Way) are not affected as the manually adjusted steering column is standard
    • Vehicles with any Power Seat upgrade (14-/18-Way) – Memory Package will exclude the electrically adjustable steering column and include a manually adjusted column
  • Macan S & GTS / 95BBV1 & 95BBW1:
  •  
    • Driver Memory Package is a standard feature; therefore, all of these models will exclude the electrically adjustable steering column beginning CW3 andinclude a manually adjusted column

Please note: Pricing for optional seats and packages will remain the same. PCNA will offer a compensation price adjustment for all stock (LF) units impacted by this change. Dealers with impacted vehicles will receive a credit for option wholesale price ($179) via the incentive payment process, processed automatically in the month following the wholesale event. PCNA expects your Dealership to pass this price reduction on to the customer.
LOL. If an electronically adjustable column was an option selectable on the configurator why do I guess the price would look more like $1790?
The following 4 users liked this post by beefchopper:
hammergjh (01-29-2022), Noah Fect (01-29-2022), RidgeRunner (06-08-2022), Veki (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 12:12 PM
MTVP49
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take the Tilt & Telescope for $179. Alex

Last edited by MTVP49; 01-30-2022 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:25 PM
Veki
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Aww

Originally Posted by turbo power
Dealer informed that all Macans (including GTS) built after Jan.19th will have a manual steering column. ….chip shortage sucks! Wondering if I should cancel GTS order….

Anyway, fyi, dealer shared official communication from Porsche:

“Beginning with January 19 production, all Macans were built without Electric Steering Column Adjustment. This will continue for the duration of 2022 Macan production. Furthermore, no retrofit is intended nor planned for these vehicles. This impacts every model regardless of Standard Equipment.”
Just received same info from my dealer,and no pricing change...Macan S order for April...

Last edited by Veki; 01-29-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:42 AM
MidCoastMainer
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My '22 S initial Expected Exit Production (V270) and Expected Vehicle Completion (V300) went back and forth between 1/7 and 1/14 from 12/20 to my latest V270 and V300 of 1/28 on 1/28. Since Porsche says the electric steering column adjustment will be discontinued for all Macan S models "produced" beginning calendar week of 1/3/22, I expect "produced" means "completed" and that I'll get the manual adjustment. Not happy about that since two drivers.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:30 PM
The W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had a couple discussions with my SA on this. I have a S on order which locks on 2/11. I thought a lot about cancelling and moving over to a new MB GLE450. Ended up deciding that there really was no substitute for the Porsche and the SA threw in all weather mats as well. So I am keeping my slot.

I guess really the deciding factor is the driving experience in the Porsche trumps everything else I have driven. My build is not a cheap build ($84K), and out of it all, the manual steering wheel adjustment will not affect the overall driving and feel.

oh, and I will be the only driver as well, so moving back and forth between drivers is not an issue. Those who will have multiple drivers—I do see that would be an issue there.

just my $0.02

Old 01-31-2022, 04:07 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

While this is an unfortunate collateral problem from the global chip shortages I find the comments about pulling orders because they are loosing power adjustment bewildering. I am SO frustrated I have to reach up and move the rear view mirror to adjust it (KIDDING). If someone switches to another marque over this then Porsche does not need these buyers as they will nitpick the dealer to the insane asylum.

I took delivery of a '21 GTS late Aug of '21 and no auto adjust and the promised recall for installing said "upgrade" has yet to come (pretty sure it never will). The only reason I care at all is that in five years or so when I go to sell the car it may make a tiny difference for a buyer.
The following 5 users liked this post by georgej:
Gleebag (06-28-2022), Nj99 (04-12-2022), rasetsu (01-31-2022), RED HORSE (02-04-2022), Wilder (01-27-2023)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:46 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

GM announced that several of its models wont be supplied with heated steering wheels or seats. When announced they would offer discounts back to customers for the missing features, but then subsequently updated this to have their dealers retrofit them at a later date - though heated steering wheels wont happen.

I wonder why Porsche isnt providing something? A discount really doesnt make much of a difference on a $70k+ car, but why not extend the warranty or throw in the second years servicing for free - something that a buyer will feel the difference?
MTVP49 (02-05-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 05:03 PM
MidCoastMainer
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I said earlier that I wasn’t happy with the lack of an electric steering column because my wife and I will both drive the S. However, we’ve also found on her Land Rover LR4 with an electric column that it was originally set for me and she never felt a need to change it. I think Porsche should send a letter to all customers affected and give them the option once the parts are in to have the manual swapped out for electric at no cost. While not all would take them up on it, it would certainly show better customer relations.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:09 PM
pawlie
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Macan S on order for delivery in April/May. My concern is that there's been no communication from the dealer about the steering column change and if there are going to be other "missing" features when my Macan shows up.

Quick Reply: No electric steering column after January