Macan 2014-Current

No electric steering column after January

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 11:25 AM
sctw
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Wilke
Picked up my new GTS about 3 weeks ago. Nobody said anything about and I forgot to ask. I have not seen a check.

I did have to wait about an hour while 2 sales people and the mechanic got this car into Porsche Connect ... which I will never use.
Porsche Connect is so outdated and useless. The fact that it took the DEALER an hour to set-up says it all. The Porsche app is pointless as well. Love my porsche's but so far behind on the tech vs. Tesla, etc.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:57 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Porsche grossly mishandled this situation from the start. I, personally, could care less about the electric vs. manual steering column but a feature that was promised must be delivered one way or another-no exceptions. $1,000 per head is heck of a lot cheaper than a class action lawsuit. VAG knows better than any other automobile manufacturer that a lawsuit is costly.
The following users liked this post:
sctw (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 12:13 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree; "grossly mishandled this situation from the start."

Before anyone again minimizes the importance of this option that many of us carefully selected and valued enough to pay for, it is the ease of ingress/egress that I want an integrated electric steering wheel to be part of...I don't actually change my steering wheel adjustment very often, but I use the option I chose every time I enter/depart the vehicle.

Things are difficult in manufacturing for sure, but an engaged, carefully thought out global solution, perhaps developed with customers, is not too much to expect from a company the quality Porsche purports to be...

Noah Fect (07-03-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 07:25 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I recently ordered a 2023 Macan S and curious in anyone knows if the power steering column will be added back for the 2023 model year. Can't seem to find anything regarding this on the Porsche website.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:42 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 131 Posts

Just picked up my 22GTS after months of delays. Was very happy to have the power/telescopic wheel and heated wheel in Race tex in vehicle as some Cayenne Turbo GT vehicles are arriving without it.
Nickshu (07-10-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Received no elec adjustable steering in Macan GTS and GT4, $500 each certificate received.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:16 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to be clear, the $1000 that I mentioned earlier on this forum is a REFUND, not a voucher.
I am not sure I would accept a voucher from Porsche, since there is nothing that I would want from them within 12 months. An extended warranty sounds nice (like China seems to get), can they add that onto the $1k?

Get me a GT4RS at sticker and I will call it even.....
Old 07-13-2022, 10:05 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
I recently ordered a 2023 Macan S and curious in anyone knows if the power steering column will be added back for the 2023 model year. Can't seem to find anything regarding this on the Porsche website.
Look in the list of technical specs in the configurator. If it is included it will be on that list as a feature.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:28 AM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the copy of the letter that I received for my August 2021 GTS delivery:

This notification contains important information about your Porsche vehicle with VIN: xxxxxxx

At the time of your vehicle delivery, we informed you the ongoing global semiconductor shortages forced Porsche to manufacture your vehicle with a manually adjustable steering column. Your vehicle should have been equipped with the electrically adjustable steering column, which was included in the seat memory package. We informed you of the change in vehicle specification and offered to retrofit your vehicle with the electrically adjustable steering column when it became available.

Unfortunately, since that time, the semiconductor situation has only deteriorated, making it impossible to provide the electric adjustment mechanism. Consequently, we are no longer able to offer you the retrofit. Because we are unable to perform the retrofit, we will provide you with a refund for $1,000.

Refunds will be issued on a rolling basis between June and the end of 2022 based on the delivery date of your vehicle. You will receive an email communication from noreply@epiqpay.com when your payment is available and will receive a second email shortly thereafter with a link to claim your refund. Reimbursements are being processed by Epiq. Epiq can be reached at the following address and more information can be found at the website and toll-free number below:

Steering Column Refund
P.O. Box 5389
Portland, OR 97228-5389

Thank you again for your patience and for accepting this refund to help maintain your satisfaction with your vehicle. For more information, please visit ElectricSteeringColumnOptionReimbursement.com or call toll free 855-917-3537 to hear answers to frequently asked questions.

Very truly yours,

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:45 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by ZG911
Here is the copy of the letter that I received for my August 2021 GTS delivery:

This notification contains important information about your Porsche vehicle with VIN: xxxxxxx

At the time of your vehicle delivery, we informed you the ongoing global semiconductor shortages forced Porsche to manufacture your vehicle with a manually adjustable steering column. Your vehicle should have been equipped with the electrically adjustable steering column, which was included in the seat memory package. We informed you of the change in vehicle specification and offered to retrofit your vehicle with the electrically adjustable steering column when it became available.

Unfortunately, since that time, the semiconductor situation has only deteriorated, making it impossible to provide the electric adjustment mechanism. Consequently, we are no longer able to offer you the retrofit. Because we are unable to perform the retrofit, we will provide you with a refund for $1,000.

Refunds will be issued on a rolling basis between June and the end of 2022 based on the delivery date of your vehicle. You will receive an email communication from noreply@epiqpay.com when your payment is available and will receive a second email shortly thereafter with a link to claim your refund. Reimbursements are being processed by Epiq. Epiq can be reached at the following address and more information can be found at the website and toll-free number below:

Steering Column Refund
P.O. Box 5389
Portland, OR 97228-5389

Thank you again for your patience and for accepting this refund to help maintain your satisfaction with your vehicle. For more information, please visit ElectricSteeringColumnOptionReimbursement.com or call toll free 855-917-3537 to hear answers to frequently asked questions.

Very truly yours,

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Now I understand what the difference is. Porsche originally promised to swap out the steering columns for vehicles already delivered with the manual ones installed. That was undoubtedly a very expensive process for them. Later they made an announcement that as pf a certain production date in January they would no longer swap the columns of any newly built Macans and would instead give a $500 rebate. Your car was one of the ones for which they had promised to make the swap and because they have reneged on that promise you should have gotten higher compensation. For my Macan, I was offered the choice of the $500 rebate or to cancel the order as the car had not yet been delivered.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:55 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
According to my SA, the hope is that electric steering rack will return for MY23 but Porsche cannot confirm yet. I would wait for official confirmation from Porsche vs relying on the website, which isn't the most reliable.

We are waiting to order until we have it officially confirmed.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:19 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Our 22 GTS came without electric column and we got $500.
Would you mind sharing your order and delivery dates? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Ordered in Jan/Feb, picked up from factory end of April.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:27 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Would you mind sharing your order and delivery dates? Thank you in advance.
I bought an S, not a GTS, and also got the $500. I ordered it on 1/25/22 and it arrived at the dealer in Florida on 5/17 (although I had to wait awhile after that to actually take delivery until the dealer received the missing Bose amplifier).
Old 08-13-2022, 12:54 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Ordered in Jan/Feb, picked up from factory end of April.
Originally Posted by beefchopper
I bought an S, not a GTS, and also got the $500. I ordered it on 1/25/22 and it arrived at the dealer in Florida on 5/17 (although I had to wait awhile after that to actually take delivery until the dealer received the missing Bose amplifier).
Thanks guys! I ordered mine in October ‘21 and took delivery in March ‘22. Porsche says that I’m not eligible for compensation.

Quick Reply: No electric steering column after January