Macan 2014-Current

No electric steering column after January

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 04:49 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beefchopper
It is only a problem if the vehicle is driven by more than one person of different physical dimensions. The is pretty typical for a husband and wife sharing the vehicle.

I guess Porsche forgot to reduce the price by the value of the feature they're no longer providing.
Maybe they want you instead to buy two Porsches?
The following users liked this post:
beefchopper (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 08:31 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
A real pain in the butt if you are tall. Whack your head on the roof frame & your knee on the wheel getting in & out.
If you're tall your butt may be the only thing that is safe from being whacked by the wheel.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:21 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

Anyone get a VIN split yet on where the cutoff was for the automatic column delete? For those of us who have January builds incoming.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:48 AM
griffinto
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2022 GTS was built early January and build is complete waiting for shipping container. I reached out to my SA requesting info and he said they just learned the info from my email last week. They reached out to Porsche for more info and he confirmed the delete of the electronic steering adjustment. However, they could not provide any info on if my vehicle included the electronic steering adjustment. We won't know until the vehicle shows up. SA said he would provide some level of discount off the vehicle if its a manual steering wheel adjustment. This discount is being offered at my local dealer.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:57 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by griffinto
My 2022 GTS was built early January and build is complete waiting for shipping container. I reached out to my SA requesting info and he said they just learned the info from my email last week. They reached out to Porsche for more info and he confirmed the delete of the electronic steering adjustment. However, they could not provide any info on if my vehicle included the electronic steering adjustment. We won't know until the vehicle shows up. SA said he would provide some level of discount off the vehicle if its a manual steering wheel adjustment. This discount is being offered at my local dealer.
As I understand it, all the Macans have been built with the manual columns for some time now. What has changed is for those built after 1/18/22 Porsche will no longer remove and replace those manual steering columns for electric ones at their cost after the chips become available. I'd ne very surprised if your vehicle arrives with an electric column. Whether or not Porsche will replace it the issue.
Nickshu (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 04:27 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

As I understand it, all the Macans have been built with the manual columns for some time now. What has changed is for those built after 1/18/22 Porsche will no longer remove and replace those manual steering columns for electric ones at their cost after the chips become available. I'd ne very surprised if your vehicle arrives with an electric column. Whether or not Porsche will replace it the issue.
That makes sense. I wonder if an owner could later do it on their own if desired. I am sure not cheap, but if you were keeping the car long-term and it was a plug and play installation might be worth it.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:05 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by Nickshu
That makes sense. I wonder if an owner could later do it on their own if desired. I am sure not cheap, but if you were keeping the car long-term and it was a plug and play installation might be worth it.
I'm pretty certain could be done but also would guess the price a dealer would charge to do it would be pretty hideous. I was told it involves removing the entire column and replacing it with a different one plus doing whatever electronic work would be required. I have no idea if this is the part but check out the price on this and then just imagine the labor cost. https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...EaAsenEALw_wcB

Just as a reminder, Porsche valued the downgrade to a manual column as worthy of a $179 credit.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:15 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Anyone get a VIN split yet on where the cutoff was for the automatic column delete? For those of us who have January builds incoming.
Our 2022 Base arrived the second week of Jan with the electric column. VIN xxxx00693
Nickshu (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 06:24 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Our 2022 Base arrived the second week of Jan with the electric column. VIN xxxx00693
I stand corrected!
Old 02-06-2022, 07:03 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty certain could be done but also would guess the price a dealer would charge to do it would be pretty hideous. I was told it involves removing the entire column and replacing it with a different one plus doing whatever electronic work would be required. I have no idea if this is the part but check out the price on this and then just imagine the labor cost. https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...EaAsenEALw_wcB

Just as a reminder, Porsche valued the downgrade to a manual column as worthy of a $179 credit.
Not to mention disassembling that much stuff on a brand new $100K vehicle. There is no way not to break clips, marr panels when prying a bit, etc when doing such a job and no way the dealer would special order every little clip they break along the way during the job. So much less stuff is probably in the way when the column is installed at the factory.
MidCoastMainer (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 06:55 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

than does that mean the comfort feature of the steering wheel going up and the seat going back is gone? i love that feature on my 2016 macan s.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:19 PM
The W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-t
than does that mean the comfort feature of the steering wheel going up and the seat going back is gone? i love that feature on my 2016 macan s.
I confirmed with my SA that the seat will still go back for comfort entry, but the steering wheel will not go up. My build locked yesterday (week early), so before it locked I wanted to make sure the impact.

I have had cars before where the comfort entry was only the seat and not steering wheel, and it worked fine for me, but will test it to make sure before I sign off and drive off the lot....also believe the comfort entry is only on 14- and 18-way seats.
The following 2 users liked this post by The W:
dave-t (02-08-2022), Nickshu (02-08-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 06:31 PM
MidCoastMainer
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=turbo power;17937992]The value of reduction was a useless $179. Here is the rest of that Porsche notice. I had not included it all above:

Portal

(MY22) Macan III – Electric Steering Column Adjustment Discontinuation

The ongoing global semiconductor shortages has forced the permanent discontinuation of the electrically adjustable steering column for all (MY22) Macan III models. This impacts all Macan models produced beginning calendar week 3, January 2022, and future months. Further information on identifying these vehicles will be updated within this post.

Please note this impact differs based on the Macan model as detailed below:
  • Macan (2.0L) / 95BAU1:
  •  
    • Vehicles equipped with Power Seats (8-Way) are not affected as the manually adjusted steering column is standard
    • Vehicles with any Power Seat upgrade (14-/18-Way) – Memory Package will exclude the electrically adjustable steering column and include a manually adjusted column
  • Macan S & GTS / 95BBV1 & 95BBW1:
  •  
    • Driver Memory Package is a standard feature; therefore, all of these models will exclude the electrically adjustable steering column beginning CW3 andinclude a manually adjusted column

My Sales Mgr received the following fm Porsche this AM regarding the electric steering column (I, of course, have no idea what this means): Customer communications regarding the discontinuation of the Electric Steering Column Adjustment for the MY22 Macan will be handled by PCNA’s CRM team. Customer notifications should begin in 2-3 weeks.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:17 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

I hope software-controlled seats aren't next.
jdcolombo (03-23-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 04:25 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
While this is an unfortunate collateral problem from the global chip shortages I find the comments about pulling orders because they are loosing power adjustment bewildering. I am SO frustrated I have to reach up and move the rear view mirror to adjust it (KIDDING). If someone switches to another marque over this then Porsche does not need these buyers as they will nitpick the dealer to the insane asylum.

I took delivery of a '21 GTS late Aug of '21 and no auto adjust and the promised recall for installing said "upgrade" has yet to come (pretty sure it never will). The only reason I care at all is that in five years or so when I go to sell the car it may make a tiny difference for a buyer.
Man, this is going to make cars w/o memory access rare!! The early ones will really hold their value.

Quick Reply: No electric steering column after January