Macan 2014-Current

No electric steering column after January

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 12:02 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Haven't seen any comment to the contrary, but I presume Porsche is first giving buyers back on the final invoice the cost of the option they are not getting.

Would be really pissed if all I got was the $500 voucher for chachkas I don't want and that cost them a few cents on the dollar.
I don't believe that is the case because the electric column that has been removed was supposed to be included as standard equipment, not an extra cost option. I believe the $500 is the total compensation.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:58 PM
nevil
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I'm so old I can remember when Porsches only had manual roll-up windows, no a/c, no adjustable steering, 4-speed was standard, 5-speed came later, no automatic trannies, radios were a dealer-installed option. They were still twice as much as a Mustang, three times as much as a VW. We still bought 'em 'cause they were a hoot to drive. Now, a restored old one is more expensive than a new one!
A lot of this is a matter of perspective. My first 911 didn't have power steering or an adjustable wheel. (But the power windows and top made up for it.?) My '91 964 doesn't have adjustable steering and I've still managed to enjoy the hell out of it. I don't think I ever thought "if only this was adjustable". To me, it was perfect that way it was. However, I haven't figured out what to do with the factory installed cassette holder in the center console.
The following 2 users liked this post by nevil:
NC TRACKRAT (03-22-2022), Nickshu (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:54 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

Agree w/ above comments. To me personally a fixed steering column is not a big deal. The seat still has an easy entry feature and power memory.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:11 PM
EvoGT89
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relieved my car entered production in December and was largely finished before the new year... car has just shipped and is en route to Canada and I was worried there would be missing parts/features. So far my SA says its looking all good. Even more so relieved the car, despite being in production for a little over 3 months (!), just squeaked by and completed right before they closed the factory. Hoping to finally get behind the wheel next month!
Old 03-22-2022, 05:16 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, whether an individual can dispense with memory steering, or you ever adjust your steering wheel, I ordered it. I can be patient, but I would really like to have it--as part of the memory access. Strikes me as reasonable to expect Porsche's continuing efforts to give us what we ordered, as soon as the part becomes available.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:29 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

I get it now, except that no cost standard equipment base price sort of includes the no cost because standard, not option.

Like an airline involuntary downgrade from business to economy (SFO to FRA) and try to claim refund for the difference. Depends on pricing that day. Was offered free upgrade to first next day, but not overnight hotel near SFO. Couldn't wait as had prepaid vacation starting in South Africa. So like the comfort package that includes steering wheel, got an involuntary downgrade but still a seat on the same day flight.

I got an adequate downgrade refund, only because I am a royal PITA. Like car insurance claims, don't accept phone rep's first offer. Hers was, "You have no proof that you were downgraded." Me: "What's the small claims court judge going to say when I show him the Economy boarding pass stub and paid for Business?"

So $500 worth of free useless chachkas is just their opening offer. I'd be pissed. A better offer would be $500 service discount for when the transmission breaks. Or 100k mile Porsche warranty. I just spent months on a PCNA negotiation over repeated warping carbon fiber issue. Happy camper with their acceptance of my proposal to replace not with c.f. on one side ($1100), but standard trim both sides.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:45 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I get it now, except that no cost standard equipment base price sort of includes the no cost because standard, not option.

Like an airline involuntary downgrade from business to economy (SFO to FRA) and try to claim refund for the difference. Depends on pricing that day. Was offered free upgrade to first next day, but not overnight hotel near SFO. Couldn't wait as had prepaid vacation starting in South Africa. So like the comfort package that includes steering wheel, got an involuntary downgrade but still a seat on the same day flight.

I got an adequate downgrade refund, only because I am a royal PITA. Like car insurance claims, don't accept phone rep's first offer. Hers was, "You have no proof that you were downgraded." Me: "What's the small claims court judge going to say when I show him the Economy boarding pass stub and paid for Business?"

So $500 worth of free useless chachkas is just their opening offer. I'd be pissed. A better offer would be $500 service discount for when the transmission breaks. Or 100k mile Porsche warranty. I just spent months on a PCNA negotiation over repeated warping carbon fiber issue. Happy camper with their acceptance of my proposal to replace not with c.f. on one side ($1100), but standard trim both sides.
I'd rather get the $150 cost reduction on the vehicle purchase they initially talked about than $500 worth of grossly overpriced Porsche logo crap that I neither want nor need.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:52 PM
alanek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I just decrypted my Vin date of production February 21, 2022. This was in the list.
2C4 STEERING COLUMN, AX., VERT. ADJUST.+MEMORY Not sure what it means.
on other items I did not order it is prefaced by w/o
MY22S is arriving in Davisville tomorrow. Should have it soon. Will let everyone know.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:05 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

How do you do this? Mine is at Emden, went into production 20 December. How can I find this out? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:36 PM
alanek
Advanced

If you have the Vin go to Vin Analytics. It cost $12. Used to be free
The following users liked this post:
Grey Coupe (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 02:06 PM
alanek
Advanced

If you have the Vin go to Vin Analytics. It cost $12. Used to be free Get the ship name from your SA.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:14 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Thank you...
Old 03-23-2022, 06:50 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts

I have had power operated steering columns in the past, in REALITY it isn't such a big deal...how often do you ACTUALLY adjust the column?
Old 03-23-2022, 07:14 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by dak911
I have had power operated steering columns in the past, in REALITY it isn't such a big deal...how often do you ACTUALLY adjust the column?
Not much unless there are more than one driver of the vehicle in which case it might be every time the driver is switched.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:45 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Actually, if the Memory access thingie is working properly you move the steering wheel on ingress and egress.

Quick Reply: No electric steering column after January