Macan 2014-Current

No electric steering column after January

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 05:17 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
GM announced that several of its models wont be supplied with heated steering wheels or seats. When announced they would offer discounts back to customers for the missing features, but then subsequently updated this to have their dealers retrofit them at a later date - though heated steering wheels wont happen.

I wonder why Porsche isnt providing something? A discount really doesnt make much of a difference on a $70k+ car, but why not extend the warranty or throw in the second years servicing for free - something that a buyer will feel the difference?
I think it is because they are in business to make money and believe they don't need to offer that much compensation especially given that you have the option to cancel the order..
Old 01-31-2022, 05:23 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MidCoastMainer
I said earlier that I wasn’t happy with the lack of an electric steering column because my wife and I will both drive the S. However, we’ve also found on her Land Rover LR4 with an electric column that it was originally set for me and she never felt a need to change it. I think Porsche should send a letter to all customers affected and give them the option once the parts are in to have the manual swapped out for electric at no cost. While not all would take them up on it, it would certainly show better customer relations.
They were swapping out the manual columns as they got the chips needed to do produce electric replacements but found it was very costly for them to do that. My dealer told me it was a big job as the entire column had to be removed and replaced, not just inserting the missing chip. I'd bet that looking at what that was costing them, Porsche decided risking disappointing some affected customers was a better option for them to deal with it,
Old 01-31-2022, 05:43 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by beefchopper
They were swapping out the manual columns as they got the chips needed to do produce electric replacements but found it was very costly for them to do that. My dealer told me it was a big job as the entire column had to be removed and replaced, not just inserting the missing chip. I'd bet that looking at what that was costing them, Porsche decided risking disappointing some affected customers was a better option for them to deal with it,
Hey, when the chips are down go with disappointing a few customers. I agree with your assessment .
Old 01-31-2022, 08:48 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

This is unfortunate news. Our GTS rolled off the assembly line on 1/24/22 so I guess it will have a manual column unless by "built" they mean it entered production, which in our case might be prior to 1/19/22.

Anyone know if Porsche gave a VIN split in the message?? b/c I have my VIN so would be nice to be able to verify one way or the other.

Last edited by Nickshu; 01-31-2022 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
griffinto (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 11:51 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 340 Posts

I think it may be prudent to keep track of what else may be missing. Before I canceled my order, the salesperson didn’t know where the 12v socket was located in the center console.
Not related to Porsche but when I picked up our 2022 Volvo V90, I noticed lots of missing features that were standard in the 2021 model year such as CarPlay, equalizer for the upgraded sound system , drive modes etc. The chip shortage is affecting the auto makers and with factory- ordered cars, it may be too late to back out if some missing features are deal breakers.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:23 AM
The W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
I think it may be prudent to keep track of what else may be missing. Before I canceled my order, the salesperson didn’t know where the 12v socket was located in the center console.
Not related to Porsche but when I picked up our 2022 Volvo V90, I noticed lots of missing features that were standard in the 2021 model year such as CarPlay, equalizer for the upgraded sound system , drive modes etc. The chip shortage is affecting the auto makers and with factory- ordered cars, it may be too late to back out if some missing features are deal breakers.
Yeah....I am watching this closely. While I am okay with manual steering adjustment, there will be that point where too many things removed will cause me to cancel....I read somewhere (rennlist or macanforum) where Audi is removing BSM alerts and rear cross traffic alerts on some vehicles. While I have not verified this anywhere, safety features like that I will not accept being removed.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:25 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by pawlie
I have a Macan S on order for delivery in April/May. My concern is that there's been no communication from the dealer about the steering column change and if there are going to be other "missing" features when my Macan shows up.
Welcome to Porsche world. Not only are customers left in the dark, so are the dealers. When my 2022 was going to get delayed because of the Bose chip, the dealer said Porsche was not telling them anything about when the chips would be available or what the exact issue was.
Grey Coupe (04-17-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:03 AM
MTVP49
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a great choice . Accept an 85k without this power option. Will it have an * next to the model year in the future resale market?

Last edited by MTVP49; 02-04-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:50 AM
The W
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTVP49
Not a great choice . Accept an 85k without this power option. Will it have an * next to the model year in the future resale market?
IMO, this really depends upon how long you hold on to your cars....if you are a 3-4 year person, then I would be hesitant to enter the market at this time unless the car is a NEED. Reason being is once the computer chip shortage is resolved (12-18 months), new and used car prices will plummet and you will be stuck with a product that you (1) overpaid for, and (2) has had a major depreciation in excess of normal due to the glut of new and used cars on the market.

If you are a buy and hold (6+ years), you still overpaid, but the depreciation curve has lessened and you are likely going to be okay (not great, but okay) as the depreciation has leveled off in the car's later years. At that point, the manual adjustment will not be as much of a deterrent in the resale market.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:13 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do people not realize the GTS always came with a manual steering column?
Old 02-04-2022, 11:26 AM
The W
Advanced

Originally Posted by jem7v
Do people not realize the GTS always came with a manual steering column?
power adjustment is included with 14- and 18-way seats.

Not sure if the GTS 8-way power seats includes that, as I did not see the notification on the configurator. But the notice is on the optional seats.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:04 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by The W
power adjustment is included with 14- and 18-way seats.

Not sure if the GTS 8-way power seats includes that, as I did not see the notification on the configurator. But the notice is on the optional seats.
Correct, the rational being that due to the bigger bolsters on these seats they are harder to get in and out of with the steering column in driving position.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:08 PM
The W
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Correct, the rational being that due to the bigger bolsters on these seats they are harder to get in and out of with the steering column in driving position.
Ok...so those of you who have the 14- and 18-way seats....is the comfort entry steering wheel an issue if it doesn't move up on entry? How big of a loss is it?
Nickshu (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:45 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by The W
Ok...so those of you who have the 14- and 18-way seats....is the comfort entry steering wheel an issue if it doesn't move up on entry? How big of a loss is it?
It is an issue if one has a big protruding belly.
pawlie (02-04-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 08:21 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

A real pain in the butt if you are tall. Whack your head on the roof frame & your knee on the wheel getting in & out.
The following 2 users liked this post by bernpep:
Grey Coupe (04-17-2022), Nickshu (02-05-2022)

Quick Reply: No electric steering column after January