Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 11:29 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

After 10 months in our 2020 S Macan, yes I would buy another. Will never buy a MB again. Would buy Lexus/Toyota again. 3 of them went over 250,000 miles with nary a problem.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:05 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

I might consider a Macan when they go electric. Overall I liked my Macan miles better than any other SUV I've driven but it (and the Panamera) aren't nearly as sporty as they get credit for. In their categories (SUV & ultra big luxury sedan), sure, but in general they're not really interesting to drive. Any mention with a 911 or Cayman/Boxster or even now a Taycan is simply silly.

They could really use more engaging engines, the V8 in the Panamera is fantastic but too muted and the older V6 & newer (Audi) V6 in the Macan are very meh. Even an aftermarket exhaust only helps so much with them. Of course neither will be getting a more fun engine, they're headed the opposite direction.

Given that the current engines don't add much to the Macan, I really think the electric version might be a real gem. If they update some of the cheaper parts of the interior while they're at it, that's going to be a fantastic daily vehicle. Plus it'll be sportier simply by virture of a much improved center of gravity.

The following users liked this post:
Thinc2 (09-03-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 09:26 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

so.... as an update my 2019 Macan S with 6000 miles (our third macan) had its first issue. threw two codes, Engine Control Unit Malfunction and Oil Measurement Malfunction. Took to dealer. I was about to leave for a week long road trip and the dealer said don't worry about it just take our loaner on your road trip and it'll be fixed when you get back. two days later they said it was a bad oil sensor and oil separator replaced under warranty. that gave me a week with a base macan to compare. honestly the base is the way to go. S is sort of a dead zone. base or GTS all the way in my book.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by lamacan
so.... as an update my 2019 Macan S with 6000 miles (our third macan) had its first issue. threw two codes, Engine Control Unit Malfunction and Oil Measurement Malfunction. Took to dealer. I was about to leave for a week long road trip and the dealer said don't worry about it just take our loaner on your road trip and it'll be fixed when you get back. two days later they said it was a bad oil sensor and oil separator replaced under warranty. that gave me a week with a base macan to compare. honestly the base is the way to go. S is sort of a dead zone. base or GTS all the way in my book.
Seems like the GTS is the sweet spot as I rarely see anyone talk about the Turbo. Why is that? Are there features the GTS has that the turbo doesn't or is the performance difference so minor that it's not worth the cost difference?
Old 08-29-2020, 09:55 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Seems like the GTS is the sweet spot as I rarely see anyone talk about the Turbo. Why is that? Are there features the GTS has that the turbo doesn't or is the performance difference so minor that it's not worth the cost difference?
for 2019+ GTS and Turbo are same engine. previously GTS was tuned S. now GTS is detuned Turbo. GTS is more dynamic on the chassis/suspension setup. also think the GTS just looks better personally.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 PM
mopdahl
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
i'm nearly about to do something i would never have considered owing to life and world changes. trading out my beloved modded 996 turbo for a used macan for life in wintry mountainous snow in winter country. i've had 7 911's and most always had one in the garage since the 1970's but i'm moving to a place that i feel the macan would be more practical, and while i have yet to drive one, strongly suspect it is nimble enough to "enjoy" in a "sport mode" kinda drive.

my question(s) for all the learned owners here. given i'm coming from a modded and RWD converted twin turbo 911 with roughly 475rwhp - and although i'm slowing down a "bit" owing to my chronological age.. am wondering if that will fulfill my need for speed, although it is not a 200 mph capable vehicle. of that i'm clearly aware.

would anyone think that a "base model" would provide enough "on tap juice"? or should i go for the turbo or S or gts only. i'm thinking a low miles '15 to '18 MY macan.

any suggestions or comments/advice are welcomed and appreciated.
i cant post this query in the 996 turbo forum, for they will try to talk me out of this. TIA.
I just moved out of my 996TT to a '17 MT and have ZERO regrets. It is nowhere as visceral, but I live in Michigan, home to worlds worst roads, and I'm at a place in my life where I'm valuing a bit of comfort in exchange for road connectivity. Plus as a DD the manual has just gotten old--I have a weekend fun car for that, and traffic in a boosted/modded 996 gets old fast. It isn't as fast "feeling", but I just did 600 miles this past weekend & 100+ in the MT felt like 75 in the 996....
Old 09-14-2020, 08:23 PM
mopdahl
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
CPO turbo is what you need after living with that monster 996
Agree 100%. That is what I went with. GTS felt fine, but in Sport the Turbo is really good. Looking into a Cobb tune to take it to the next level.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:42 AM
JonnyD72
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, I would. As a matter of fact, I just placed a replacement order for my 2017 S. Went GTS this time around.
2021Macan (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:26 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mopdahl
Agree 100%. That is what I went with. GTS felt fine, but in Sport the Turbo is really good. Looking into a Cobb tune to take it to the next level.
the turbo is plenty fast without a tune. However like you I’m going to do a Cobb for mine as well just as soon as some traffic court issues are resolved...
Old 09-17-2020, 01:42 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Many agree that the GTS model is the sweet spot in the lineup, not only in the Macan lineup, but for other Porsche models as well. Many reviews in the automotive press say the same. Porsche themselves describe the GTS models as the enthusiast’s choice. The Turbo model is more of the premier grand tourer for any of their models.

It has to do with the GTS treatment offering quite a bit for the price, as opposed to optioning an S model to match a GTS. Also there are a couple things that are exclusive to the GTS. As far as performance goes, published tests confirm that the GTS is generally within 2-3 tenths of the Turbo’s acceleration, and handling is the best of the bunch as standard (although other models can be equipped with PASM/air suspension).

The GTS treatment is basically the same as what Porsche also calls the “Powerkit” which has been available on other models from time to time.....power bump via software and sometimes hardware as well, PASM/air suspension standard (sometimes with some minor S/W enhancement tuning), larger brakes, sport chrono, PSE, and cosmetic enhancements. Think of the GTS Macan as basically a ‘powerkitted’ S model.

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 09-17-2020 at 01:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CarGuyNVA:
ABusLux (09-17-2020), evil panda (09-23-2020), JonnyD72 (09-17-2020), Liste-Renn (09-27-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:17 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Many agree that the GTS model is the sweet spot in the lineup, not only in the Macan lineup, but for other Porsche models as well. Many reviews in the automotive press say the same. Porsche themselves describe the GTS models as the enthusiast’s choice. The Turbo model is more of the premier grand tourer for any of their models.

It has to do with the GTS treatment offering quite a bit for the price, as opposed to optioning an S model to match a GTS. Also there are a couple things that are exclusive to the GTS. As far as performance goes, published tests confirm that the GTS is generally within 2-3 tenths of the Turbo’s acceleration, and handling is the best of the bunch as standard (although other models can be equipped with PASM/air suspension).

The GTS treatment is basically the same as what Porsche also calls the “Powerkit” which has been available on other models from time to time.....power bump via software and sometimes hardware as well, PASM/air suspension standard (sometimes with some minor S/W enhancement tuning), larger brakes, sport chrono, PSE, and cosmetic enhancements. Think of the GTS Macan as basically a ‘powerkitted’ S model.
Given the latest GTS is now the turbo engine detuned, it's even better than a powerkitted S.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:09 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Given the latest GTS is now the turbo engine detuned, it's even better than a powerkitted S.
Yes, good point. What I stated in my previous post above applies to the 17 & 18 GTS Macans. The new generation is more like a de-tuned Turbo model now as far as the powerplant goes.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:17 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
We have a 2017 Toyota Highlander in our family that has already had several issues since new and is currently at the dealer for a replacement transmission. Toyota is a brand with legendary and almost mythical reliability yet still not immune to major issues like any other manufacture.
That's for sure. We bought an '87 Camry last day of 1986. Worst car we ever owned from Day 1. It was a litany of quality issues in manufacturing and material. Ultimately left my wife stranded 3 times when the elec system failed. Noises drove me nuts, Dealer said, "Turn up the volume on the radio." At one point it was in the shop five weeks within a 2 month period to fix surging that I told dealer was due to ignition problem. He was sure it was something else. They did a lot of remove & replace under warranty. Ultimately I set up a session with the Regional Service Manager who diagnosed that it was indeed ignition. My MGB was more reliable. You couldn't pay me to buy another Toyota product.

Had an X3 when we moved to Florida. It was good, but using it to tow my race car killed the suspension. Bought an X5 diesel and it was one of the best vehicles we ever owned. Fast, comfortable and got 30 mpg, 20 when towing car in trailer. Only downside was it was too easy to do 90 mph despite towing the racecar. Not good for trailer tires. I delaminated 2 on one trip to Roebling Road & back.

Macan S has its faults. But, it is better than the Cayenne loaner I am now driving while 991 is in the shop for a split coolant tank. The Cayenne suspension feels too vague. The Mac is like a Carrera and if it were 2-inches lower would handle almost as well as one. And, my wife wouldn't complain about scraping her calf on the rocker panel. Planning on lowering it at some point as we don't go off-roading with it.
canasion35 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

First post in years. I'm a former 911 guy with track experience who hasn't owned a toy in a decade. I now live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with cobble stone, speed bumps, potholes, and salt. It also floods here three months of the year. Jeeps are popular here.

I'm craving a fun DD that I don't mind trashing and that can handle the speed bumps, potholes, and flooded roads with composure. Macan seems to fit the bill.

The question now is, which one? Because it'll likely get somewhat trashed, because I'm buying cash, and because I'll likely keep it for a while, I'm thinking of getting an early S with air suspension and chipping it to 400HP/TQ. I've seen low mile options near me around $40k. Then I read comments by @Liste-Renn and @lamacan and wonder if I should get a base. As a DD, I can't go anywhere fast here but I don't want to regret not having the option to push it on twisty roads the odd time I take a road trip, especially after being deprived for such a long time.

For reference, now that I've convinced myself to get a Macan, if I was back in Vancouver, I'd get a 2019+ GTS but the location and use really need to be considered.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Wilder; 09-27-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 608 Posts

When I picked up my '18 GTS in Leipzig, my track (and off road) instructor told me that Porsche AG sells more Macans in China than the ROW combined. Also that there are more miles of unpaved road in China than paved. My Macan is excellent on rough and unpaved surfaces- also great in snow with the right tires.

You will be fine with any Macan model on the poor PV roads.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 09-27-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Wilder (09-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?