Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 01:32 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
To clarify, I’m referring to this part of your post:

The base model is not nearly enough power to move such a heavy vehicle.”
For a modern Porsche, 6.7 seconds 0-60 is sad...yes, compared to a lot of economy SUV's and even entry level luxury SUV's it's not bad, but for a 2 ton performance SUV from Porsche, the base engine leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:19 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
For a modern Porsche, 6.7 seconds 0-60 is sad...yes, compared to a lot of economy SUV's and even entry level luxury SUV's it's not bad, but for a 2 ton performance SUV from Porsche, the base engine leaves a lot to be desired.
So based on your subjective preference then.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 449 Posts

I really think it depends on your use case. The base Macan isn't Fiat 500 slow. It's adequately speedy especially for commuting and pretty efficient too. The PDK does a magnificent job of making up for the lack of horsepower. You still get the same looks and interior, generally speaking, so not missing much there. If it's your second Porsche (daily driver), I see no reason to shun the base model when you might have a Cayman/911 for fun.. However, the S is where it makes up for the four cylinder and gives you a much bigger leap in general performance. If it were my only Porsche, I would try to find an S that is CPO which would certainly cost the same or less than a new base Macan.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:39 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

as someone who has had both, you genuinely cannot tell the difference between the base and S day to day. other than the S just feels more planted due to the ease of the torque. but on the highway from a roll and flooring it, daily passing, etc, it's not really any slower.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:15 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lamacan
as someone who has had both, you genuinely cannot tell the difference between the base and S day to day. other than the S just feels more planted due to the ease of the torque. but on the highway from a roll and flooring it, daily passing, etc, it's not really any slower.
I respectfully disagree...mind you I've only ever driven both back to back at a dealer.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:15 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

I respectfully disagree...mind you I've only ever driven both back to back at a dealer.
equally respectfully disagree as someone who has had both for a year each.

i had a more pronounced difference between 2018 and 2019 S's than between 2017 base and 2018 S. 2019 S is greatly improved chassis/gas mileage/interior to the 2018.

2018 engine is immensely smoother. 2019 S engine feels like a Volvo compared to 2018. but i'd trade the engine downgrade for the better chassis/interior/economy without a second thought.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
It seems like the Macan owners love their Macans more than the Panamera owners love their Panamera.
I’ve driven/owned both, base Macan 4cyl and base Panamera 4, so can offer an objective observation. While Macan is a fantastic SUV and punches above its weight, Panamera is in another league. In my opinion, based on ownership of several Porsche models, it’s the best driver’s car Porsche currently makes. How’s that for ❤️ love?

Old 08-12-2020, 11:05 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pawnstar
I’ve driven/owned both, base Macan 4cyl and base Panamera 4, so can offer an objective observation. While Macan is a fantastic SUV and punches above its weight, Panamera is in another league. In my opinion, based on ownership of several Porsche models, it’s the best driver’s car Porsche currently makes. How’s that for ❤️ love?
Better than a 911?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:15 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

i've also had a base panamera. it's a "fine" car, but i wouldn't buy it over, say, an S class. S class is better value, better built, better tech, etc. does it handle as good? no. but who cares. they handle the same as far as the stresses a freeway on ramp would demand, and neither are good on anything more demanding than a freeway onramp. also, it's standard tech is a joke compared to its segment rivals. you'd have to spend $15K in options on a panamera to get standard stuff in an S class/7 series/A8.

i guess the market agrees with me, since the macan i believe now has the number one resale value of any car, despite the enormous production numbers. the panamera on the other hand, has absolutely atrocious resale value, and is a total dog of a seller for porsche.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

i've also had a base panamera. it's a "fine" car, but i wouldn't buy it over, say, an S class. S class is better value, better built, better tech, etc. does it handle as good? no. but who cares. they handle the same as far as the stresses a freeway on ramp would demand, and neither are good on anything more demanding than a freeway onramp. also, it's standard tech is a joke compared to its segment rivals. you'd have to spend $15K in options on a panamera to get standard stuff in an S class/7 series/A8.

i guess the market agrees with me, since the macan i believe now has the number one resale value of any car, despite the enormous production numbers. the panamera on the other hand, has absolutely atrocious resale value, and is a total dog of a seller for porsche.
I pretty well expect that the Panamera will get cancelled at the end of this generation. With the Taycan now out and the Cross Turismo waiting in the wings, I can't see Porsche maintaining two 4 door sedans in a market where they aren't selling.

With the Macan slated to go electric, I could also see them adding a third SUV variant to the line up....if I were to guess, I'd say something with a 3rd row as I can't see them doing anything smaller than the Macan.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:52 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

I pretty well expect that the Panamera will get cancelled at the end of this generation. With the Taycan now out and the Cross Turismo waiting in the wings, I can't see Porsche maintaining two 4 door sedans in a market where they aren't selling.

With the Macan slated to go electric, I could also see them adding a third SUV variant to the line up....if I were to guess, I'd say something with a 3rd row as I can't see them doing anything smaller than the Macan.
100% agree.

i think the panamera turbo sport turismo will be a future collector. you can get a CPO one basically brand new for $100K. crazy to think you get 45% depreciation in two years. first car in the US porsche stopped requiring dealers to keep in inventory.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:24 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

i've also had a base panamera. it's a "fine" car, but i wouldn't buy it over, say, an S class. S class is better value, better built, better tech, etc.
Fake news. S class is neither of those things. see below.

does it handle as good? no. but who cares.
I care. That’s why I, and majority of Porsche buyers pay ‘Porsche premium’.

they handle the same as far as the stresses a freeway on ramp would demand, and neither are good on anything more demanding than a freeway onramp.
more fake news. S class drives and ‘handles’ nothing like Panamera.

While S class is a superbly comfortable car for passengers, it is not a drivers car by any stretch of imagination. (source: 2019 S560V4 which I drove for for 4 months / 5600 miles)

also, it's standard tech is a joke compared to its segment rivals. you'd have to spend $15K in options on a panamera to get standard stuff in an S class/7 series/A8.
yet more fake news. 19 S450 had less standard equipment than a base 19 Panamera, which came with 19 inch wheels, CarPlay, Panoramic sunroof and $9300 lower MSRP.
Also, Multimedia is far more responsive in a Panamera than outdated Command in S Class.

i guess the market agrees with me, since the macan i believe now has the number one resale value of any car, despite the enormous production numbers.
Market strongly disagrees with you. See actual auction values below.

while Macan is quite strong, countless other cars have higher resale, % of original MSRP. By way of example, Forester, CRV, RR Sport, Civic Si etc.

the panamera on the other hand, has absolutely atrocious resale value, and is a total dog of a seller for porsche.
Anecdotal speculation, as some Panamera models fare better than others and do quite well relative to other makes at similar price points.

Case in point:

2019 Panamera 4 with 10k miles and 105k original MSRP is changing hands at wholesale ~84k and maybe one or two on offer at a given location, v. limited selection.

Similarly priced when new ‘competition’ is no where near Panamera values a year or so later:

19 S450V4 ~63k
19 740xi 52k
19 A8 3.0L Hybrid ~61k

Old 08-13-2020, 03:01 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Better than a 911?
💯 %

Spacious, quiet, supple Panamera is a whole hell of a lot more comfortable to drive on 65 mph -limited US roads (55 mph in NY) than (relatively) small, stiff lightweight 911, with big breaks, huge tires and narrow seats.

On public roads, Panamera can do everything 911 can do, but do it in supreme comfort 911 simply can not match by design.

things change at the track, but we’re talking ‘driver’s’ car, not ‘racing’ car. And how often do 911 owners take their new cars to the track? 🥱
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

💯 %

Spacious, quiet, supple Panamera is a whole hell of a lot more comfortable to drive on 65 mph -limited US roads (55 mph in NY) than (relatively) small, stiff lightweight 911, with big breaks, huge tires and narrow seats.

On public roads, Panamera can do everything 911 can do, but do it in supreme comfort 911 simply can not match by design.

things change at the track, but we’re talking ‘driver’s’ car, not ‘racing’ car. And how often do 911 owners take their new cars to the track? 🥱
I just have to respond to your [redacted] post.

If you do not appreciate the difference between a 911 and a Panamera- please, keep driving your four door.
It would be a waste of a superior chassis to put you in a 911.

Really difficult to believe you are not trolling for a reaction- your opinion is so clueless.
A Pana is no 911, not even close. I have driven both. The sole advantage it possesses is back seats with legroom.

I drove my 997 GTS from Boston to Los Angeles- 3 months and 8000 miles through Canada to Seattle and the entire Pacific Coast Highway to LA. It covered those miles in style and comfort. *** are hardly "narrow" seats, they adjust 18-ways. If you spread the bolsters, they are plenty wide. And in the mountains or canyons, a 911 can eat a Panamera's lunch. Did you actually buy a Porsche to drive 55-65 on freeways? If so, you wasted your money.

Sorry, but one need not drive on a track to appreciate "big breaks (sic), huge tires and narrow seats".

Wow, just wow.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 08-21-2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: No insults, please. You can be polite and still make your point. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:44 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Very nice build! But all this, and no PCCB?!?!

That would have been the icing on the proverbial cake!

Jokes aside, beautiful build...well done.
Yo, I almost bought (but was a day late) a CPO 2017 GTS with all of the options on my build sheet, plus Burmeister stereo and PCCB.

After missing out on that vehicle, I did some research and decided the stereo upgrade and PCCBs were not worth the incremental upgrade (to me).

Some of my options were chosen at the behest of my wife, who wanted them (LKA, LCA, ACC, PAS) for safety reasons. I would have passed on every one of them. And she would have passed on PTV+, Sport Chrono and several of the trim choices. Different strokes. So we ended up with everything you see on the build sheet.

If I ordered another Macan, there would be no additions, only deletions of the nannies that my wife insisted upon. Some of them came as part of a package, at very little extra cost compared to ordering each one a lá carte.

I have to say that my Macan is close to perfection, if a blend of both paved road performance and off road capability is your goal. I concede that my preferences are unique, but there is no better blend of on/off/alpine road performance out there in a single vehicle. I've looked, and driven most of the competition. A better chassis and drive-train in a CUV for on/off/alpine road performance simply does not exist. Add the Porsche fit and finish, engineering, reliability and styling, and it fills a sweet spot that cannot be replicated elsewhere, especially for the price.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 08-13-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?