Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 12:08 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

The contract I offered would not replace the rim if assembly was still holding air. So you can drive off with a wobble wheel and it’s OK, LOL. If that exclusion were removed from the contract I would have signed.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:44 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Macanfan
Hi all. Just joined the club. Main reason - to vent frustration with a dealership. Manhattan Motorcars. Bought Macan S 2018 three years ago, their "head of finance" sold me a Platinum care package for tires and rims (what a fool I was!), claiming that it's an amazing deal - you damage any tire they have to change the other side too, being that it's such a "high performance car". Haven't used it for 3 years. Drove over something on one side - both front and rear are slowly leaking. Took it to dealership - no go, only damaged tires are changed. How come?! "well, they should have told you that, we are sorry... the "head of finance" Gary Price is no longer with us..." . BS! Not only that - we'll polish rims only on damaged tires! can you imagine that!?
Well, time to go intentionally damage them....I have a sledge hammer somewhere in the garage
Old 10-23-2020, 01:03 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I have for many years proposed a thread of RECOMMENDED vs STAY WAY dealers covering items such as technical expertise, sales, allocations etc. In various forums (though so many have stated that the manufacturers do not look at them...) many have prevented the creation of such threads. So whilst the world is awash in disinformation as "freedom of expression" auto forums apply the rules of the marquise of Queensbery and refuse to host such a discussion - my take is that there is some remuneration or debt of some sort between the owners of a forum and manufacturers.

Though here is no substitute for a total lack of preparation, dealers are there to make money and if you're gullible enough or didn't do your homework, ask friends/relatives etc. to counsel you, the old roman adage caveat emptor applies. But it would benefit all if such a thread were started to steer people away from dealers who clearly should not be in the business and especially not for a marque as illustrious as Porsche but also to funnel people to those dealers whose technical, sales etc. staff go beyond the norm. The usual tactic of "Please give us a 10 rating and we'll throw in some jujubeads" is a disservice to the the industry as a whole and to the point that manufacturer surveys now regularly ask whether you've been asked to change a rating in favor of some trinket or other.

Personally past the warranty period I will never set foot in the dealership I bought the car, nor will I ever buy anything from them again. Although the technical/service branch is good, the sales process was a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone. I hope to pull the trigger on a 992 and it certainly won't be through them.

siberian
Old 10-23-2020, 02:59 PM
Macanfan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Well, time to go intentionally damage them....I have a sledge hammer somewhere in the garage
Right? Actually, that's what they're suggesting, I think, with their "oh, there's no limit, you can bring it as many times as you want, it pays off in the end". Instead of that, they should have been honest in the beginning and explain the policy as it is!
Old 10-23-2020, 03:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The world just doesn't work that way Macanfan, it just doesn't. You need to do YOUR homework, ask the right questions and if seems a bargain, most times, walk away.

siberian
Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 PM
Jellybean
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Will the 2021 Macan GTS be stuck at the ports until the EPA provides the emissions certificate like the GT4?
if I understand it correctly all 2021 are held at the port until November 6th if the certification comes through. The 6th is the magical date the cars get their freedom. I have a tentative date of December 3rd to pick mine up at PEC so I’m crossing my fingers that all goes well or I will have to change my delivery date.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Good luck getting a Porsche dealership to honor a warranty on what appear to be intentionally damaged wheels. There is plenty of fine print in those lousy tire "warranties" to let them avoid ever replacing the wheel itself.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:01 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
Good luck getting a Porsche dealership to honor a warranty on what appear to be intentionally damaged wheels. There is plenty of fine print in those lousy tire "warranties" to let them avoid ever replacing the wheel itself.
I'm not really condoning intentional damage...but nothing pisses me off more than all these companies that make huge money off of warranties and insurance trying to weasel their way out of claims. You buy the warranties/insurance for peace of mind, so they should be unconditional.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:46 PM
Jellybean
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

For those of you who are waiting for news on your new GTS, I got an email from the new car delivery person at PEC who does the schedules and they mentioned that the GTS has cleared certification and they are now able to offer me a sooner date to pick up my new love. I hope the rest of you who have been waiting will be getting calls from your SA about coming to get your new cars soon.
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 08:05 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a 2021 GTS on the way and was informed originally 11/13 delivery date. So, if GTS has cleared cert, then I guess I will plan on it being on time.

Last edited by T3X4S; 10-24-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jellybean
For those of you who are waiting for news on your new GTS, I got an email from the new car delivery person at PEC who does the schedules and they mentioned that the GTS has cleared certification and they are now able to offer me a sooner date to pick up my new love. I hope the rest of you who have been waiting will be getting calls from your SA about coming to get your new cars soon.
Awesome. Just got a similar email from my dealer. He said the Macan GTS is not CARB delayed but the base macan is impacted. I Should get my GTS mid November.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:48 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Pending. My Macan with 150,000 miles needs a lot of work. Let's see how PCNA responds to see if a Macan is a lifetime keeper like a 911 or a pump and dump like a Mercedes.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:35 AM
SaulV
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely. If I had to do it again I would:

- Get a GTS Model since a lot of the modifications and upgrades I’ve done to the car pretty much brought my S model to the equivalent of a GTS in mods or performance.
- Get a less conspicuous color since I get spotted everywhere for the unique Blue color of this Macan. Preferably a grey one.
- I would get a a 2016 or above to be able to get one with a rear ac vents.
- I would get one with roof racks and Hitch already installed from the factory.

I still get second thoughts about not going to an SQ5. I prefer the less flashy Audi Brand and certainly miss the VAG Mods

Last edited by SaulV; 10-31-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:43 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

After putting .15 million miles on a Macan, your description of a "pump and dump" ownership experience is hilarious.
The average vehicle annual mileage is 10-12K.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:09 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
After putting .15 million miles on a Macan, your description of a "pump and dump" ownership experience is hilarious.
The average vehicle annual mileage is 10-12K.
.15 million makes it seem like a lot. And our ownership experience while not unique is definitely not the norm.

My experience has been problems come with time and not miles. Putting lots of miles on a car quick seems to keep everything happy. Brakes last longer, engine and all seals and electronics always seem happy. This is honestly the first car I've had with this many miles in this amount of time that needs this much work and this much cost.

Currently sitting in my 08 535xi with 212959 miles. It's needed some work and had its share of leaks. But nothing near the costs of what I'm looking at.

Seat sensor $2800
Timing cover leak $6700
Coolant hose $1300

Also needs new front tires and an alignment
And rear brakes. Still on original rotors back there. Swapped the pads at 50,000 so these pads have 100,000.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?