Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 03:46 PM
waltersafety
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes ; I would buy another one . But I want more ,that's why I hung out on the Panamera forum .

So let me throw this out there . A Macan GTS or Panamera GTS are so capable on track that with average drivers a 911 is not going to run away when it starts first.

With advanced drivers the Macan or Panamera will not be easy for a 911 to pass until the Macan and Panamera have the tires go away .

With expert drivers its over at the first turn in favor of the 911 .

So I think the Macan GTS and Panamera GTS are drivers cars . I'm sure that the 944's and old 911's that get passed want to think that too.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:58 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by waltersafety
Yes ; I would buy another one . But I want more ,that's why I hung out on the Panamera forum .

So let me throw this out there . A Macan GTS or Panamera GTS are so capable on track that with average drivers a 911 is not going to run away when it starts first.

With advanced drivers the Macan or Panamera will not be easy for a 911 to pass until the Macan and Panamera have the tires go away .

With expert drivers its over at the first turn in favor of the 911 .

So I think the Macan GTS and Panamera GTS are drivers cars . I'm sure that the 944's and old 911's that get passed want to think that too.
I have taken my Macan GTS to the race track, and I have seen other Macans share a race track with inexperienced drivers in their 911’s. At equally skilled drivers it will already be behind by turn 1, and from there the gap will open in every straight and at any turn.

And don’t take me wrong; I love my Macan GTS.
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 05:04 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 460 Likes on 186 Posts

Yes here as well - as an indulgence.

I have a GTS - it strikes a great balance between being fun to drive and utilitarian. If I were being honest with myself though, a Golf GTI PP or R would probably be equally fun and balanced - but I enjoy the Porsche interior/ergonomics and exterior as well.

To follow up on some other recent comments on the thread on Base vs S vs GTS - I once got a loaded Macan "Sport Edition" as a loaner. Blasphemy I know, but if I were not inclined to occasionally throw my GTS down some fun twisty backroads, I would be hard pressed to notice a lot of practical difference in the day-to-day drive if I had the Sport Edition.

I would not personally take the Macan on track, but have been fortunate enough to drive more track focused cars in conjunction with owning one. I could see it being fun for a once a year blast in a beginner or low intermediate group (especially if you're passing people in 'faster' higher-end sportscars) but after a while I'd be looking up used Caymans on the marketplace.

Last edited by ducktails; 08-14-2020 at 05:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ducktails:
ABusLux (08-14-2020), Blarghicide (08-15-2020), lamacan (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 05:38 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

3 months into ownership of a CPO 15’ macan turbo. I really like the car a lot and I am happy with my purchase. It is a nice daily driving car and is far more powerful than one “needs” for daily driving. With The air suspension in low, sport mode, and PASM in sport or sport plus its amazing what the car can do. PDK really adds a lot to the driving experience. Nice ground clearance in normal or off road mode. Leave it at normal drive height and comfort dampers and it’s like a nice CUV. I’m sure I would be even more impressed driving it at 10/10 but that will get you in jail or causing serious harm to yourself or others if not careful. It would be fun to track it for a few laps but with its weight you would destroy brakes. I have my 996 for track. Like I said a versatile car for an “enthusiast.” It’s neither a sports car or a SUV and fills a nice gap between and is sort of a lifted “hot hatch” I often find myself well above the speed limit and I think an S would have sufficed but the overall package or the turbo was worth it to me (especially after 5 years of depreciation). I couldn’t justify spending the $ for a new one for what’s its worth. For the $ I would get a used 991 +
Old 08-14-2020, 05:39 PM
waltersafety
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ABusLux
I have taken my Macan GTS to the race track, and I have seen other Macans share a race track with inexperienced drivers in their 911’s. At equally skilled drivers it will already be behind by turn 1, and from there the gap will open in every straight and at any turn.

And don’t take me wrong; I love my Macan GTS.
Yeah; I should have qualified further ,it is a track dependent situation too . A big heavy vehicle is no fun on a tight track . My experience is a high speed track is a equalizer at the average driver level.
But on the street or local twistys the Macan sure feels like a drivers car.
That's where Porsche executes so well ,convincing average drivers in average situations that they are having more fun and better off than the guy next to them.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:06 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat1202
Hey Silly Goose - I was in your shoes early this year - looking at the M550i - great car - comfort, speed, without the M5 price - but after driving the Macan, I was hooked. I actually looked all over the US for the car I wanted - found it in Chicago and have not looked back! And driving in Sport is a blast!!! lol

You were coming home from high school and then going down to the basement and using your moms computer to post on most subsections simultaneously about buying that particular Porsche earlier this year?
Old 08-18-2020, 05:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I placed an order for a 2021 Macan GTS earlier this month, love the car and it's great for my business.
The following users liked this post:
lamacan (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
Unfortunately I believe this to be true for just about any modern, higher end, luxury vehicle.

As someone who also keeps vehicles long term I’ve come to accept that there really isn’t any new car out there these days that is going to make that 10yr 200+k mi mark without extensive or cost prohibitive repairs.
For decent luxury car reliability, you have to stick with Japanese cars, Lexus in particular. I would never own any german car with lots of miles. Worst offenders are certainly BMW, MB, VW. Porsche is a bit better, but reliability is still much worse than the Japanese.

If you lease your cars, or always drive cars less than 6 years old, then German luxury models are reasonable. Basically get them new, or with CPO on a 2-3 year old car and sell at age 5-6. Rinse and repeat. If you like to buy and drive into the ground, stick with Japanese luxury brands.

I'd never own a german car long term unless it was a truly special car and I was ok with paying out the nose for repairs.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:33 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
For decent luxury car reliability, you have to stick with Japanese cars, Lexus in particular. I would never own any german car with lots of miles. Worst offenders are certainly BMW, MB, VW. Porsche is a bit better, but reliability is still much worse than the Japanese.

If you lease your cars, or always drive cars less than 6 years old, then German luxury models are reasonable. Basically get them new, or with CPO on a 2-3 year old car and sell at age 5-6. Rinse and repeat. If you like to buy and drive into the ground, stick with Japanese luxury brands.

I'd never own a german car long term unless it was a truly special car and I was ok with paying out the nose for repairs.
Toyota / Lexus has been the well deserved "go to" brand for reliability for many decades but I believe that will be slowly fading as the complexity of even those cars continues to increase in order to meet the demands of emissions regulations and consumer expectations. I have several Toyota / Lexus vehicles in my personal circle spanning across the model range and nearly 2 decades to base those beliefs on.

The second issue for myself and I believe many others, is that while Toyota / Lexus certainly has a reputation for reliability they also have a well deserved reputation for not being very interesting or exciting. That's where I personally would have difficulty ever considering one because reliability, while always important, is NOT the primary motivator for my purchase decisions. I think that for many enthusiasts reliability takes a back seat to the many other important attributes of a vehicle. If that were not the case then I think just about every Italian and British car company would have gone out of business long ago!
The following 2 users liked this post by blepski:
2021Macan (08-19-2020), MAPC (08-30-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 07:48 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

i've owned every brand of car at some point or another (almost). in my experience, nothing has been as reliable as modern porsches. except for rattles here and there. MB is by far the worst offender.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Sorry but those of you who think you know everything are really starting to upset those of us who do.

Despite having owned a 61 Corvair "back in the day", I would place my wildly modified 99 Durango as the worst offender and with the Corvair (and 61 Buick "Special") as examples of vehicles who made it to production without ever having gone through a design or QA review. I think MB is still safe...

siberian
Old 08-20-2020, 03:25 AM
LILBENZ230
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lamacan
i've owned every brand of car at some point or another (almost). in my experience, nothing has been as reliable as modern porsches. except for rattles here and there. MB is by far the worst offender.
I have the opposite experience in regards to MB. I've owned 5, they've all be great. My worst car in terms of reliability was an Acura. 3 transmission failures in 76k miles. I've had Lexus, super reliable but also a total snooze. Never owned a BMW out of warranty.

I'd buy another Macan, for sure. Lots of fun and utility. Better than the direct competition.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:07 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
for k9turbo asking if a Macan with the base motor is going to have enough juice for them to like it when he's coming from an M3 or a 996TT with a RWD conversion, that answer is a capital NO. No base model Porsche is going to make someone coming from these cars happy no matter how much older or more mature they've gotten - --------

so for someone who liked his M3 or his 996TT but wants more comfort and space, and maybe light towing capability, with 85% of the usable performance a Macan GTS or Turbo is an excellent choice.
knowing porsche 911's as i do, i never would have assumed that a base model macan would do. but never having owned one, it never hurts to "ask". at bare minimum an "S" but yes, the gts and more likely the "turbo" would more closely approximate the adrenaline surge i experienced early this AM leading/following a pal to a shop so he could drop off his modded 911 turbo.

as we exceeded trip digit speed in our dueling 996 turbos - i realized that the scofflaw in me still lives.

greatly informative post. thanks.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Sorry about your fire evacuation.

It handles Mulholland Highway quite well.
(For you non- Southern Californians, it is an epic road that dances through the Malibu Canyons.)

I test drove a 2018 Macan GTS from Porsche Woodland Hills when I was shopping for a Euro Delivery build slot back in 2017.
thank you for that. i have driven and lived on or atop mulholland for over 50 years and bought from steve at woodland hills porsche as well.

i have found better less crowded roads after the last devastating fires and enjoy them still. but find myself hankering for the comfort and dual capability of an S or turbo macan.

with built in artillery. planning for the future.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:01 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by k9turbo
thank you for that. i have driven and lived on or atop mulholland for over 50 years and bought from steve at woodland hills porsche as well.

i have found better less crowded roads after the last devastating fires and enjoy them still. but find myself hankering for the comfort and dual capability of an S or turbo macan.

with built in artillery. planning for the future.
add: having caught up in this thread i am bemused by references to any macan on a shared racetrack as compared with *any* well sorted 911.

forget the caveat. any *modern" turbo - and even stock 911. c'mon fellas.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?