Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 12:30 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
I think someone is just trying to justify their purchase...I would not go with anything less than an S. The base model is not nearly enough power to move such a heavy vehicle.
BTW a friend (name withheld to protect the guilty) who owns a base when asked why not an S replied, it's plenty for what I need and if I want to have fun, I have my Ferrari.

siberian
Old 08-08-2020, 12:32 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
You don't state what exactly (other than moving or living in "snow" or cold climates) you expect to do with the Macan? Tow? Don't tow much at 4k pounds, cargo area? Not much due to the roof slanting. And we can go on, but perhaps if you stated what your intended use is moving from a 996 would entail we could perhaps answer more fully. I of course realize, coming from a long line of 911s towing and cargo room wasn't an issue since it's non existent. So would those be factors in your new life? And yes, I've had 911s, 356SC's, 728...

And yes, as we get older we surprise ourselves as to what we are contemplating. I've pondered for years doing a project 71 Cuda muscle car and decided I'd spent enough time under a car. I'm keeping my 08 V8 Touareg for ever, selling my RS5 and hope to get a 992C4. The Macan S is my wife's car. Several mods with more coming but it's her car.

siberian
snow is only a couple months annually and light. but awd is good to have and my current 911 has been rwd converted and is unsuitable for winter as such.

the macan would be for DD ( not that i'll be going anywhere ) and trips on the twists - to the market etc. no other use but all mountain road.

thanks for the reply.

just saw that. a pal of mine did the 71 'cuda full resto. purple, it was. it harkens back, indeed.
The following users liked this post:
Kodabear (05-28-2024)
Old 08-08-2020, 12:44 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh God, I wish you hadn't said that...my heart always aches for my 68 Roadrunner 383... but those few words... aw man, that hurt...was it a manual or auto? Not the convertible right (last seen at 1.2 million)? Purple with he stripes??? Lime green or yellow was a standout as well... and you could actually sit in the engine bay and work...

So cargo/Towing not an issue? Then the base would be fine IMHO. Be happy to help with the options (heated steering, seats, PDLS+, panoramic view (skip the sunroof), blind spot monitoring, sport chrono, keep the 19" rims you don't want or need 20/21 in winter etc. HTH

siberian
Old 08-08-2020, 12:52 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
i haven't had a "base entry level" model 911 since my 993 in '96 so i fully appreciate your point.

is there an easy way to know the differences btw the "base" macan, the S, and the gts(?) and the macan turbo without spending hours searching them individually?

I appreciate your and anyone's input as these forums are invaluable for owner feedback.
Go to the dealer and test drive them? They should at least have a base and S for demo. The long and short, the base has a 2.0l 4 cylinder turbo with 248hp and the S has a 3.0l v6 with 348hp...the GTS and Turbo share the same 2.9l turbo now, one with 375hp and the other with 434hp.

The base still has a PDK and drives exceptionally well for such a big vehicle but when a Camry beats you at the lights, it will kill you inside.

BTW a friend (name withheld to protect the guilty) who owns a base when asked why not an S replied, it's plenty for what I need and if I want to have fun, I have my Ferrari.

siberian
If you have another fun vehicle it might be okay, but to replace his 996 I doubt it would be sufficient.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:32 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Oh God, I wish you hadn't said that...my heart always aches for my 68 Roadrunner 383... but those few words... aw man, that hurt...was it a manual or auto? Not the convertible right (last seen at 1.2 million)? Purple with he stripes??? Lime green or yellow was a standout as well... and you could actually sit in the engine bay and work...

So cargo/Towing not an issue? Then the base would be fine IMHO. Be happy to help with the options (heated steering, seats, PDLS+, panoramic view (skip the sunroof), blind spot monitoring, sport chrono, keep the 19" rims you don't want or need 20/21 in winter etc. HTH

siberian
no cargo. my days as a foot soldier are over, so no bodies to carry. heated seats are required as my cold *** needs warmth. i have always preferred oem sized wheels. not one for what once was called "bling" and i second guess weissach as infrequently as i can.

i don't need anything fancier electronically than what was oem that i can't easily get rid off. backup view? ok, i'll concede that.

purple it was. stripes, i cannot recall. didn't the roadrunners have tweety bird on the raised wing? geez. you're taking me back.

i think i need a pdk base model - to slow down.

thanks for the offer to advise, and your input.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:36 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Go to the dealer and test drive them? They should at least have a base and S for demo. The long and short, the base has a 2.0l 4 cylinder turbo with 248hp and the S has a 3.0l v6 with 348hp...the GTS and Turbo share the same 2.9l turbo now, one with 375hp and the other with 434hp.

The base still has a PDK and drives exceptionally well for such a big vehicle but when a Camry beats you at the lights, it will kill you inside.

If you have another fun vehicle it might be okay, but to replace his 996 I doubt it would be sufficient.
that data point tells me on paper alone i need ( at bare minimum ) the 3.0 S as a four cyl base won't do but 348 crank is approximately 290 whp so the S would probably suffice. i already have a souped up gti to spin donuts with. the S sounds like some solid "middle ground".

if $ were not a consideration, then the turbo would obviously be the "no brainer". i hate shopping. but it seems i must.

thanks for the input.

PS if you ever see me try to roll on a camry ever? shoot me.
#1SomeGuy (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:59 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

no cargo. my days as a foot soldier are over, so no bodies to carry. heated seats are required as my cold *** needs warmth. i have always preferred oem sized wheels. not one for what once was called "bling" and i second guess weissach as infrequently as i can.

i don't need anything fancier electronically than what was oem that i can't easily get rid off. backup view? ok, i'll concede that.

purple it was. stripes, i cannot recall. didn't the roadrunners have tweety bird on the raised wing? geez. you're taking me back.

i think i need a pdk base model - to slow down.

thanks for the offer to advise, and your input.
That was the Superbird with the raised wing and the 440 Wedge but high 12s on my 383 with a Holley 850cfm DP etc. ahhh bliss.

As I said, for what you need the base will do fine and you can spend the cash saved to "check the boxes" as Porsche encourages you to :-)

Best from 65 North

siberian
k9turbo (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

CPO turbo is what you need after living with that monster 996
k9turbo (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:00 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

i'm on my 3rd macan. 2017 base > 2018 S > 2019 S. if i had to choose one car to die with that had to do everything, it's the macan. best car ever made.
k9turbo (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
CPO turbo is what you need after living with that monster 996
funny you should say that. the 911 turbo before this current was cpo'd at purchase and it saved me $10K on a m 96g50 trans repair that pcna initially denied coverage on. it had undetected 2nd gear synchro issues, common to the initial two years of that iteration and required a "rebuild". there is much to be said for that add'l two years of warranty coverage.

based upon input here and 17 +/- YT vids of reviews i am leaning toward the 3.0S given they are both t-charged and with the hope i could then flash tune it for the bump in power.

unless of course a "turbo" appears at a reasonable price point. my needs and desires are such that a low miles '15 or a MY '16 will suffice.

are there any "first year" bugs for the 2015 that any have noticed? i have yet to do the "hours" of "common issues" search but will at some point.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:26 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Biggest early years issue is the transfer case going. Just search for Macan Transfer Case and you'll find lots of info.
k9turbo (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:45 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lamacan
i'm on my 3rd macan. 2017 base > 2018 S > 2019 S. if i had to choose one car to die with that had to do everything, it's the macan. best car ever made.
how does it handle mulholland? where i've spent the last 50+ years driving, mostly.

until my recent evacuation.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:09 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

We have an Allroad and a Macan. They are very different cars, but I think they are two of the best cars(SUV) we've owned. Both are daily drivers that do duty in the mountains and town in winter.
k9turbo (08-21-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

how does it handle mulholland? where i've spent the last 50+ years driving, mostly.

until my recent evacuation.
for this size car, it's the best there is. for me it's the perfect size to "do everything". only complaint is sometimes you could do. with a bit more room but it's very rare.

if i needed more room, i wouldn't bother with a cayenne though. i'd go range or g wagon. cayenne is very floaty and feels like every other generic SUV to me.
k9turbo (08-21-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

140 odd miles from the arctic circle, the best vehicle for me, for where I live, for what I need remains the 2008 V8 air suspension VDub Touareg, hands down. Towing 7,700 pounds, comfort, hp, options (rear lockers, opening hatch, HIDs...) nothing comes close in its class. And if you need more torque, there's the V10 Turbo diesel Touareg. Check out youtube they have one towing a 747.

From -56F (without a heater block) to 90F, in ice, snow, gravel etc. it rocks at 13 years young. The 2020 Macan S is the wife's car and would never be able to replace the Treg.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 08-09-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?