Sponsored by:

Macan EV: if you’re ordering EV ~ post your build

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 07:56 PM
bbmertz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan 4S Build

Here’s the Macan 4S I’m planning to order. I intended to order a 4 but the 4S was only a few thousand more and would be a MY25. I’m trying to keep the cost down and don’t plan to take it on the track, so I didn’t add any of the performance enhancing options. Only additional option I’m considering is the GT Sport steering wheel but am concerned it might reduce dashboard visibility due to the smaller diameter. https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSM3JDV6

I was an early adopter of the Tesla S and Y which I really enjoyed, but am looking for an EV which is more sporty and higher quality now that there are other options on the market. I initially planned to order a base 2025 Taycan but the Macan costs $18K less even when ordered with far more features, plus it has a longer range and a tow hitch option.
Old 08-05-2024, 02:18 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Oddly, I don't see the Power Charge Port Cover (2W9) on the configuration for the 4S, but it is a searchable option. Am I missing it somewhere? Not included on the standard equipment page. Also, any idea how hard it is to get calipers painted after delivery?
Old 08-06-2024, 02:36 AM
marcocean
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Going for the 4s now. Seems like it’s worth the extra money for what you get compared to the 4. Tried to keep it as close to $90K as possible. Will be my first Porsche.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS5NVYW7
The following 2 users liked this post by marcocean:
bbmertz (08-06-2024), TC Cruising (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 06:21 AM
bbmertz
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mb1
Oddly, I don't see the Power Charge Port Cover (2W9) on the configuration for the 4S, but it is a searchable option. Am I missing it somewhere? Not included on the standard equipment page.
You’ll find it under the last E-Mobility section in the configurator.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:33 AM
Awas
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by marcocean
Going for the 4s now. Seems like it’s worth the extra money for what you get compared to the 4. Tried to keep it as close to $90K as possible. Will be my first Porsche.

Nice.
I would have preferred Augmented Reality HUD, instead of rear axel steering. I was keen on RAS too, but my Porsche dealer insisted it's not necessary in a car of this size.
Besides, you won't feel anything missing if you never used it before. Anyway, in the end, these are all personal preferences.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:49 AM
bbmertz
7th Gear

Originally Posted by marcocean

I agree with Awas in that I’m not sure you need rear axle steering since the Macan has a relatively tight turning radius. I’d instead consider the 14-way seats which you will use every day.

Here’s my 4S build although it’s about $3K more than you were planning to spend. I’ve been driving Teslas since 2013 but excited to switch to Porsche.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSQEKBB7
Old 08-06-2024, 07:19 AM
Awas
Instructor

Here is someone who had a day-to-day experience with RAS. Interesting to watch - His RAS experience starts from 12:57

Old 08-06-2024, 08:30 AM
tmrqs
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
Nice.
I would have preferred Augmented Reality HUD, instead of rear axel steering. I was keen on RAS too, but my Porsche dealer insisted it's not necessary in a car of this size.
Besides, you won't feel anything missing if you never used it before. Anyway, in the end, these are all personal preferences.
To add a counterpoint @marcocean, there was a convo on this previously, question was whether it made sense on a Macan - general impression was that it was indeed not as useful as on a Taycan.

As it turns out, the Macan has a higher turning diameter than the Taycan, and marginally better with RWS.

Turning circle diameter:
- Macan EV (no RWS): 39.7 ft
- Macan EV (RWS): 36.4 ft
- Taycan (no RWS): 38.4
- Taycan (RWS): 36.7 ft

So if it’s useful on the Taycan, definitely worth considering on the Macan too. I ended up spec’ing it myself.

Every Cayenne driver I spoke to swears by RAS - naturally not the same type of car as a 992. Hoping to get more feedback over the next 3 days as I’ll be at PECATL and then Barber.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:41 AM
Awas
Instructor

@tmrqs
Cayenne is a bit bigger than Macan though.
Basically, I went with my Porsche dealer's advice. He said he had driven this car in Germany and didn't think it's an option I really need.
I thought he was being honest at least and not selling me more options to make more money : )

By the way, that video I posted, the guy says, initially he liked RWS a lot but not any more. So, I guess it's got positives and negatives.

Last edited by Awas; 08-06-2024 at 08:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tmrqs (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 09:04 AM
tmrqs
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
@tmrqs
Cayenne is a bit bigger than Macan though.
Basically, I went with my Porsche dealer's advice. He said he had driven this car in Germany and didn't think it's an option I really need.
I thought he was being honest at least and not selling me more options to make more money : )

By the way, that video I posted, the guy says, initially he liked RWS a lot but not any more. So, I guess it's got positives and negatives.
Yes and no.

The Cayenne, Macan and Taycan have pretty much the same wheelbase:
- Cayenne: 114 in
- Macan: 113.9 in
- Taycan: 114.in

To my previous post, if Cayenne and Taycan drivers recommend it, it could easily apply to the Macan.

The 992 on the other hand has a 96.5 in wheelbase - and is quite a bit lighter than the other 3.

Some dealers told me to get RAS, others to skip it. Drivers I talk to (not 992 drivers granted) also recommend it.

Not easy to make a decision without trying it. Hopefully will learn more tomorrow!
Old 08-06-2024, 09:31 AM
Awas
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmrqs
Yes and no.

Not easy to make a decision without trying it. Hopefully will learn more tomorrow!
I guess, that's the best way to find out to get first-hand experience.

But then again that Rennthusiast guy liked it too at first in his 992 : )
As I understand, he thinks it makes his Porsche drive “too surgical”. But I guess, Macan's handling is already pretty good without RWS, with its all-wheel drive system, torque vectoring system, an electronically controlled differential on the rear axle etc. A bit of drift in cornering could be more fun without RWS : )

Old 08-06-2024, 09:54 AM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts

Listening to the videos of those I trust the most such as savagegeese, Kyle/OutofSpec,Autogefuhl, Smoking Tire, and Edmunds, etc., we are definitely getting RWS. If nothing else it will allow us to back out of garage (tight turn) with the extra back and forth to turn it around and head out the driveway facing forward.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:35 AM
Awas
Instructor

Originally Posted by TC Cruising
Listening to the videos of those I trust the most such as savagegeese, Kyle/OutofSpec,Autogefuhl, Smoking Tire, and Edmunds, etc., we are definitely getting RWS. If nothing else it will allow us to back out of garage (tight turn) with the extra back and forth to turn it around and head out the driveway facing forward.
Yes, that is true. I watched all of those videos too and hence was keen at getting RWS too as mentioned above, before I got dissuaded by the Porsche dealer.

Besides, all those reviewers you mention drove the Macan for how long? And just like those reviewers, that Rennthusiast guy also liked RWS to begin with too : )
Old 08-06-2024, 11:23 AM
digli
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

A 1m (3.3 ft) reduction in turning radius is significant when navigating tight urban driveways, laneway garages, parallel parking, etc. Also, has anyone noticed how tight underground parking garages have become? For my use case as a daily driver in an urban environment, a tighter turning radius is huge plus. And if the handling at speed improves to the point of becoming "surgical", I'll take it.
The following 3 users liked this post by digli:
bandrews (08-07-2024), beye (08-06-2024), TC Cruising (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 03:15 PM
beye
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Same here: I spec’ed it because underground parkings are so tight, it is a big pain because of the wheelbase when there are long tight turns with borders! (They like this kind of thing in Europe).
First day with my TMS, years ago, I was unable to exit the parking without scratching my rear left wheel… Shame on me.

I never drive a car with RWS, I hope the « surgical » behavior you’ve mentioned is not a « comfort issue » for both driver and passengers.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: if you’re ordering EV ~ post your build