Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM
tgale
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dropped mine at my dealer in Pa and they replaced the transmission with what I thought was a new one (some say rebuilt but I never asked...yet). It took a few weeks as the transmission comes from Germany...no cost. Fairly easy...
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Forgive my laziness, but... can anyone give me a summary of where we are on this issue? I just posted in the transmission failure "database" thread after 3rd gear went out on my GT4 at Texas Motorsport Ranch yesterday morning :-(

Is there anything I should know before I bring the car in to the dealer? Anything I should tell them? Is there a recall I should be referring to? (Looks like the answer is no to that last one)

... And can I expect whatever fix they implement to be permanent? (In theory, at least, not the same issue as before... sounds like everyone is getting a new transmission, so hopefully that's a pretty definitive fix)

Thanks for any help!
Outside of perhaps removing any track numbers on your car, and perhaps cleaning up tire marks all over the car, no prep necessary. If your dealer is of any size, this will not likely be news to them and they likely won't question a thing. At best, they might apologize for the inconvenience.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:31 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgale
I just dropped mine at my dealer in Pa and they replaced the transmission with what I thought was a new one (some say rebuilt but I never asked...yet). It took a few weeks as the transmission comes from Germany...no cost. Fairly easy...
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Outside of perhaps removing any track numbers on your car, and perhaps cleaning up tire marks all over the car, no prep necessary. If your dealer is of any size, this will not likely be news to them and they likely won't question a thing. At best, they might apologize for the inconvenience.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the tips, although my dealer already knows I track that car. I thought Porsche GT cars were among the few that were actually warrantied for track use even from the factory, aren't they?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Gentlemen, just a post to tell you that I've been called by my center to be informed that "another" gearbox was available at the workshop due to a campain of something. Finally this will be my 2nd replacement... However my curent gearbox (the replacement one) is still running normally. It was replaced in november 2018, due to a 3rd gear failure at the end of August 2018.

They told me that another reference was there and the which was installed should break again.. I'll let you know when my "3rd" gearbox will be mounted.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:07 PM
tgale
Track Day

Thanks for the tips, although my dealer already knows I track that car. I thought Porsche GT cars were among the few that were actually warrantied for track use even from the factory, aren't they?
Yes, so did mine. They knew it let loose at VIR and still had the numbers on it and hunks of rubber on the wheels when i dropped it. You will be fine.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:36 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Good to hear. That's my hope and expectation, thanks tgale.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Does anyone know if Porsche will reimburse for lost costs on a track day/weekend resulting from this issue? I feel like it couldn't hurt to call Porsche corporate... a few mins for potentially a few hundred bucks. Honestly, it's something that a luxury make that wanted to do the right thing should do, but I don't know if they would.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

My transmission was replaced due to 3rd gear issue last year and is now starting to fail. There is a lot of noise when at maintenance throttle and progressively getting worse. Tranny replaced around 9k and car now at 18k miles.

We dumped the fluid and found small chunks of metal in it (see below.) Wondering what approach I should take if I contact dealer now or wait for the recall? The car still works but noise is pretty annoying.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:58 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkh
My transmission was replaced due to 3rd gear issue last year and is now starting to fail. There is a lot of noise when at maintenance throttle and progressively getting worse. Tranny replaced around 9k and car now at 18k miles.

We dumped the fluid and found small chunks of metal in it (see below.) Wondering what approach I should take if I contact dealer now or wait for the recall? The car still works but noise is pretty annoying.

Wow, so your second gearbox (replaced due to third gear issue) is also failing???? That sucks!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 02:04 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy974
Wow, so your second gearbox (replaced due to third gear issue) is also failing???? That sucks!!!
Yep - its not failing in the same way (with 3rd gear just going out) instead it seems to be dying slowly. I seem to be having more trouble getting into first gear, and some noise and the fragments.

The question I have is the recall going to effect all transmissions or just the ones that haven't already been replaced.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 PM
morjo02
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tgale
did you have a problem or just preventive assurance ?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:58 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

Does anyone know if Porsche will reimburse for lost costs on a track day/weekend resulting from this issue? I feel like it couldn't hurt to call Porsche corporate... a few mins for potentially a few hundred bucks. Honestly, it's something that a luxury make that wanted to do the right thing should do, but I don't know if they would.
Highly, highly doubt it....but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:48 PM
aeromax
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

I recieved a call to bring my GT4 in for the gearbox-recall, Belgium
the job will be done in may
never had an issue while driving
Old 04-01-2019, 02:22 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Highly, highly doubt it....but it doesn't hurt to ask.
i wouldn't kick a sleeping dog. So far they have been good replacing the trans on heavily tracked cars. i think the odds of getting them to reimburse you for a lost track day is about the same as getting hit by a meteorite in the next 10 minutes. carl
Old 04-01-2019, 05:34 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Had mine replaced last week. Box was fine. New one seems to shift a tiny bit better...
Drove my GT3 today, still prefer GT4 shifter action.

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure