Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gac1077
Just lost 3rd gear today,...build 4/16, 15,843 miles.
Sorry to hear that. I also have a 4/16 build (no failure yet). Sent in a note to the "contact us" page asking they read this thread...

https://my.porsche.com/usa/dialogue/...ion/contactus/
Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 644 Posts

I have begun going through the posts and gathering data. I'm focused on capturing all the reported failures not yet on the spreadsheet.

I have added a column for DATE OF FAILURE. I'm taking it from date of the post as many (so far) indicate that's also the date of failure.

I"ll be reaching out to folks who left off some data to see if I can fill in the blanks.

One helpful tip: if you haven't had a failure yet please don't post your stats.

It's a slow, time consuming process. Thanks to the OP for getting it started, and everyone who has contributed. Feel free to PM me with questions/concerns or details of your failure. Or post the details in the thread. I'll be sure to add them to the spreadsheet.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I have begun going through the posts and gathering data. I'm focused on capturing all the reported failures not yet on the spreadsheet.

I have added a column for DATE OF FAILURE. I'm taking it from date of the post as many (so far) indicate that's also the date of failure.

I"ll be reaching out to folks who left off some data to see if I can fill in the blanks.

One helpful tip: if you haven't had a failure yet please don't post your stats.

It's a slow, time consuming process. Thanks to the OP for getting it started, and everyone who has contributed. Feel free to PM me with questions/concerns or details of your failure. Or post the details in the thread. I'll be sure to add them to the spreadsheet.

Thanks!
thanks for taking this on! it will be a big benefit to all GT4 owners . carl
Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
thanks for taking this on! it will be a big benefit to all GT4 owners . carl
It's my pleasure!

UPDATE:

There are now 45 entries

Some have very few details and I can only guess that the info was PM'd to the OP. There are mentions of waiting for a new gearbox but I didn't see a post "announcing" the failure so I will reach out individually to those with missing info and ask the specific questions needed.

If anyone would like to review the spreadsheet - I'm hoping this is a good link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GDE/edit#gid=0

If you see missing data please let me know.

Next step is to comb through the other GT4 3rd gear failure thread to be sure nothing is missing that was posted there, but not in this "database" sticky thread.

As of a few minutes ago I have looked at every post in this thread starting with #1. I also collected data from the few PM's I received (thank you!).

I do find the first several entries on the database to be confusing. I don't think I have duplicates (but can't be 100% certain without more specific info in the entries with little identifying info.

EDIT - just read first post of "other" failure thread and there is info over there that is not repeated in this "database" sticky thread. I will comb through and update here once all failures are collected from that thread.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The link works - thanks for taking this on.

Would be interesting to compare the spread of build dates with the number of cars actually built in total each month, because at first glance it looks like a pretty even spread.

It's my pleasure!

UPDATE:

There are now 45 entries

Some have very few details and I can only guess that the info was PM'd to the OP. There are mentions of waiting for a new gearbox but I didn't see a post "announcing" the failure so I will reach out individually to those with missing info and ask the specific questions needed.

If anyone would like to review the spreadsheet - I'm hoping this is a good link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GDE/edit#gid=0

If you see missing data please let me know.

Next step is to comb through the other GT4 3rd gear failure thread to be sure nothing is missing that was posted there, but not in this "database" sticky thread.

As of a few minutes ago I have looked at every post in this thread starting with #1. I also collected data from the few PM's I received (thank you!).

I do find the first several entries on the database to be confusing. I don't think I have duplicates (but can't be 100% certain without more specific info in the entries with little identifying info.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:44 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bardman
The link works - thanks for taking this on.

Would be interesting to compare the spread of build dates with the number of cars actually built in total each month, because at first glance it looks like a pretty even spread.
Kyrocks Oct 2015 build is the earliest to fail but many of the entries don't include build date.

I can tackle this analysis after data is extracted. Found 3 more days n second thread that were not duplicated. Still have 2/3 posts remaining.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

And there I was thinking my Oct 2015 build was safe.

needmoregarage, thanks for your time and effort.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM
MineisanRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all of you at Rennlist,

After the loss of 3rd gear in Sept 2016 and a three months wait to get a new box, I just had a similar experience in track again: 3rd got blocked. After having being towed to the paddock and restated the car, I got the stickshift out of third and everything seemed fine. I have been careful and have asked them to tow the car to the dealership. They tried the car and lost third... they should get année box by next week. My car has 11.000kms, was delivered mid June 2016 and has less than 3.000kms of track time.
I really don't know if I want to go endlessly through these experiences with this car...
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I almost have 20k miles and 30+ track days and 3rd gear is still good. Build date is June 2015.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:47 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

We are at 54 entries with three confirmed "double" failures (meaning they had the transmission replaced, and then the replacement transmission failed - so they will be on their third transmission).

I'm approximately 1/2 way through the "other" failure thread and there are several reports of failures that I picked up over there - that were not in this "official" database. There were also some duplicated but I only record them once on the spreadsheet (unless they have had more than one transmission fail).

Once I capture everything I'll update. I believe some may be missing that were PM'd to the OP so I'll contact him once I'm up to date on everything.

I have received a great deal of value from the RL community and many owners who have been generous sharing their knowledge and experiences. It's my pleasure to help, and give back (a little) to the community that has been so helpful and supportive!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 421 Posts

We are at 54 entries with three confirmed "double" failures (meaning they had the transmission replaced, and then the replacement transmission failed - so they will be on their third transmission).

I'm approximately 1/2 way through the "other" failure thread and there are several reports of failures that I picked up over there - that were not in this "official" database. There were also some duplicated but I only record them once on the spreadsheet (unless they have had more than one transmission fail).

Once I capture everything I'll update. I believe some may be missing that were PM'd to the OP so I'll contact him once I'm up to date on everything.

I have received a great deal of value from the RL community and many owners who have been generous sharing their knowledge and experiences. It's my pleasure to help, and give back (a little) to the community that has been so helpful and supportive!
Thank you for your service.

It has been suggested before and after you complete this update, seems to me if someone could contact a moderator to close one of these 2 gearbox failure threads, and remove the closed thread from the sticky list, the GT4 community would be better off. The closed thread would still be available through search, and there would be less confusion on which thread to go to for what, all communications will be in one place on the topic.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:15 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

c

So good of you for creating a real tanagble asset that will serve to verify a real defect . I still really want to know what exactly is going on wish the factory would fess up! Carl
Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be more in Germany who are not on Rennlist or don't known this thread. Do you mind if I advertise your great work and include a link to the database. Any email you can be reached at and are you ok to have it posted?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
So good of you for creating a real tanagble asset that will serve to verify a real defect . I still really want to know what exactly is going on wish the factory would fess up! Carl
Carl - I'm happy to help and I also benefit. Remember - I didn't create it. I'm just picking up where Steve08027 left off due to lack of time.

I agree - it would be nice to have an explanation, but the most important thing is that the failures are being fixed under warranty with no questions asked (so far)

Originally Posted by Sven76
There will be more in Germany who are not on Rennlist or don't known this thread. Do you mind if I advertise your great work and include a link to the database. Any email you can be reached at and are you ok to have it posted?
This is a GREAT idea Sven! Thanks for offering to have our German (or any ROW) friends report their failures. And please note I can't take credit as Steve0827 started the spreadsheet and the idea to record failures!

Feel free to post my email:

NAflat6@yahoo.com

Ask for the following information:

Username or some way to identify (can be made up name - doesn't matter)
Car I.D. (If no user name give location or partial VIN or a way to identify)
Date of Build
Date of Delivery
Date of Failure
Total miles (at failure)
Total # track days (at failure)
Estimated track miles/kilometers (at failure)
Failed Gear (so far all are 3rd)
Brief summary of failure (sentence of what happened at the time of failure)
Tires (brand, type, size)
Modifications or any other relevant info (suspension, engine, etc)
Length of time taken for replacement

These^ are the categories on the spreadsheet

Please note we have had a few reported transmissions replaced because there was a notable "grinding" going from 2nd to 3rd. Third gear didn't fail in these cases but I am logging these into the system because Porsche determined the entire transmission needed to be replaced.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done, GT4 gearbox failure thread at German forum PFF

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"