Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 10:57 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

BTW, COTA is ripe for some records. Repaved and mostly back to it's youth. Without much trouble on old tires I was able to get right up on my best lap time from many years ago. It's easily 2 seconds faster now than it was last year...and easier on tires.

Blue is on fresh tires, 40F weather so the car was super strong back in April 2018. Red is 75F on 3 day old tires from my October trip to VIR. You can see that corner entry in the red is MUCH faster, but the lap ultimately lost to the stronger acceleration from the colder weather in blue.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 03-09-2020 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (02-25-2021)
Old 03-10-2020, 10:23 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
Got my GT4 out to VIR for first time. This was morning session on the only day I was there. Later on I broke something in the header area and had an exhaust leak.
2:04.7 @VIR Weather was perfect, just need to clean up my driving next time I'm there all over the track. Hogpin might be higher priority. Maybe even a few more mph available in the Esses.
Tires: 20" RE71R's mods: DSC sport, no other mods.
Nice time! A couple questions: What is that car that passes you at the very end (near start/finish line)? Looks like maybe a 718 clubsport, but wondering how he is overtaking you like that - does not look like you lifted. What data system are you using? Who was the event sponsor?
Old 03-11-2020, 11:25 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Nice time! A couple questions: What is that car that passes you at the very end (near start/finish line)? Looks like maybe a 718 clubsport, but wondering how he is overtaking you like that - does not look like you lifted. What data system are you using? Who was the event sponsor?
yah that was a 718 gt4 clubsport. It had more accel than my981 gt4. not sure if my exhauat leak had happened at that point or not.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:27 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Originally Posted by aryork
it was a Chin trackday.
and i was using race chrono app. With a 10hz gps
Old 03-14-2020, 10:24 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't have a GT4, but 3 of my track buddies do. Being in Norcal we frequent Laguna, Sonoma and Thunderhill. Late last year my friend hit a 1:35.6 at Laguna, which is the fastest I have ever seen a GT4 on street tires. Car has MSC 2 way suspension and re-geared gearbox, using RE71R tires. Everything else is stock outside of brake pads, harness, and the usual safety stuff. Pretty amazing time for that car.

The following 2 users liked this post by adi_d:
flipmeraz (06-13-2020), phefner (03-17-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 11:49 AM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Not quite my best time at Rd. ATL, and certainly no great shakes, in any case, but it’s the best one I have video from. (Apologies for the add-on of the fire-blasting Cup Car at the end. Did it for the entertainment of the grandkids.) This was my first track visit since Dec., and also since installing Soul Performance headers to go with my Softronic flash. They proved quite the combo in the mid-range, and helped a lot in passing and cutting back split times. Car has max camber and 19” Re-71r’s. Otherwise stock. Using Aim Solo DL and Smarty Cam wired directly to the Can.I have loved everything about this setup, except that I obviously have still not figured out how to get the gear to display properly. Not sure whether it is simply not available in this Can configuration, or what. Any advice on this is most welcome. Tks.

https
Softronic (06-15-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 02:08 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
Not quite my best time at Rd. ATL, and certainly no great shakes, in any case, but it’s the best one I have video from. (Apologies for the add-on of the fire-blasting Cup Car at the end. Did it for the entertainment of the grandkids.) This was my first track visit since Dec., and also since installing Soul Performance headers to go with my Softronic flash. They proved quite the combo in the mid-range, and helped a lot in passing and cutting back split times. Car has max camber and 19” Re-71r’s. Otherwise stock. Using Aim Solo DL and Smarty Cam wired directly to the Can.I have loved everything about this setup, except that I obviously have still not figured out how to get the gear to display properly. Not sure whether it is simply not available in this Can configuration, or what. Any advice on this is most welcome. Tks.

https://youtu.be/iR7zqEH7RvQ
Go to the AiM site and look for "Gear calculation with SoloDL"
Old 06-13-2020, 03:41 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Was that last weekend? I was there.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bldn10
Was that last weekend? I was there.
Yep. Don’t know about you, but I thought they did a very good job with handling all the virus security issues. Really enjoyed it myself and hope you did as well. May not get back there until the 3-day PCA event in Sept. I’m an old geezer, and my wife allowed me to go only under protest. BTW, if you were still around then, you may know of the unfortunate incident befalling that Cup Car that sacked me in the bonus clip. If do another one there, maybe we can do an eyeball, hopefully without social distancing.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:38 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Go to the AiM site and look for "Gear calculation with SoloDL"
Bill, Many thanks. I have tried that, but for some reason, it won’t allow me to enter the highest gear when I reach that stage. Looks like I will have to break down and call them to find out what I am doing wrong. Best, jc
Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Default Nelson Ledges Lap time

Got my 981GT4 out to the historic Nelson Ledges track June 2020. Track was narrow, but suited my style with high speed, light left foot braking. Not bad and great weather!

We had light traffic, but best time between me and Randy Pobst that day was my 1:12.90. Randy's best lap would have been a mid 1:12's but hit traffic in the final turn.

Didn't have video, but did have 10hz data that is better. I'm Red line, Randy is Blue line. Here's my analysis of that data:
T1 (alot to work on for both of us on that turn)
T2 my fav turn - great light left foot brake high speed turn. me and Randy similiar with only a few hundredths to me.
T4 Randy better entry, i had better exit. but at exit of T4 I came out with 4 tenths overall advantage (it's a key turn with alot of camber on exit)
T7-8 is my weakness (very long and hard to know where end of turn is) and Randy gained everything back and was 2 tenths ahead braking into T12.
T12 - randy had lap traffic - he looked like a 1:12.7 if i had to guess w/out traffic

Car setup - DSC, RE71R's 20" (very little tread left front). Car felt looser than previous tracks but alignment hadn't been checked in a while.

Oh, and our team blew not 1 but 2 engines during practice (one cayman S and an E46 328) - so neither me nor Randy had a chance to learn the track for Saturday or Sunday's race.. oh well - next time!!
P.S. Randy's always faster than me, so I'd bet with a little more time - he'd be running quicker laptimes.

There's decent time left for someone to work on - I'm pretty sure in those conditions a 1:11 would be possible, but remember Nelson has little margin for error. Have fun!

vantage (08-19-2022)
Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts

[QUOTE=Jim Cobb;16698966]Not quite my best time at Rd. ATL, and certainly no great shakes, in any case, but it’s the best one I have video from. (Apologies for the add-on of the fire-blasting Cup Car at the end. Did it for the entertainment of the grandkids.) This was my first track visit since Dec., and also since installing Soul Performance headers to go with my Softronic flash. They proved quite the combo in the mid-range, and helped a lot in passing and cutting back split times. Car has max camber and 19” Re-71r’s. Otherwise stock. Using Aim Solo DL and Smarty Cam wired directly to the Can.I have loved everything about this setup, except that I obviously have still not figured out how to get the gear to display properly. Not sure whether it is simply not available in this Can configuration, or what. Any advice on this is most welcome. Tks./QUOTE]

Nice vid Jim

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:22 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 238 Posts

Yep. Don’t know about you, but I thought they did a very good job with handling all the virus security issues. Really enjoyed it myself and hope you did as well. May not get back there until the 3-day PCA event in Sept. I’m an old geezer, and my wife allowed me to go only under protest. BTW, if you were still around then, you may know of the unfortunate incident befalling that Cup Car that sacked me in the bonus clip. If do another one there, maybe we can do an eyeball, hopefully without social distancing.
I stopped by but sorry I didn't get to talk with you. I noticed a couple of GT4s there... your's and a nice red one too. Hope to see ya next time!
Jim Cobb (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I stopped by but sorry I didn't get to talk with you. I noticed a couple of GT4s there... your's and a nice red one too. Hope to see ya next time!
Me too! Thanks!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Softronic;16704210]
Not quite my best time at Rd. ATL, and certainly no great shakes, in any case, but it’s the best one I have video from. (Apologies for the add-on of the fire-blasting Cup Car at the end. Did it for the entertainment of the grandkids.) This was my first track visit since Dec., and also since installing Soul Performance headers to go with my Softronic flash. They proved quite the combo in the mid-range, and helped a lot in passing and cutting back split times. Car has max camber and 19” Re-71r’s. Otherwise stock. Using Aim Solo DL and Smarty Cam wired directly to the Can.I have loved everything about this setup, except that I obviously have still not figured out how to get the gear to display properly. Not sure whether it is simply not available in this Can configuration, or what. Any advice on this is most welcome. Tks./QUOTE]

Nice vid Jim

Best,
Scott
Thanks, Scott, Really loving my set up.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4