Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
seems like there are a higher percentage of GT4s that are tracked than GT3s.

not necessarily type-casting owners, but the lower cost of the GT4 likely plays a role in being more tolerant of track risk/losses
Not necessarily more tolerant of losses, but just more money over to spend on consumables, trackdays and proper tuition. Also more fun to be the underdog with the GT4 and go Nordschleife full round sub 8 minutes, which everybody expects from a GT3 (and not many driver are capable)...
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

For me its because the Cayman/GT4 is the last rung on the ladder before you get to truly obscene fast/powerful cars that really should always be the fastest.

If you have a Viper/Z06/GT3/McLaren you should always be the fastest, if your not you're a poor driver. You can only lose.

If you have a GT4 you should be mostly faster but any 500hp+ car you pass is going to be a bit of a victory.

If you have a Miata then every pass is a victory.

I think its the weird HPDE math everyone does to figure out where they are at. Possibly why many who could afford more purposely self handicap with Miatas and aging E46 M3's, besides just running costs.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
For me its because the Cayman/GT4 is the last rung on the ladder before you get to truly obscene fast/powerful cars that really should always be the fastest.

If you have a Viper/Z06/GT3/McLaren you should always be the fastest, if your not you're a poor driver. You can only lose.

If you have a GT4 you should be mostly faster but any 500hp+ car you pass is going to be a bit of a victory.

If you have a Miata then every pass is a victory.

I think its the weird HPDE math everyone does to figure out where they are at. Possibly why many who could afford more purposely self handicap with Miatas and aging E46 M3's, besides just running costs.
Cost is what prevents me from tracking an RS instead of the GT3. I don't track a car with slicks because I prefer the convenience of being able to drive my track car to the track and not change tires. I don't think I'd want to be tracking a car faster than the GT3 or RS without a full roll cage, etc. Well-driven Cup cars, etc. are faster than me in the GT3 - I don't expect to always be the fastest and I only compare pace with similar cars.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 235 Posts

1:29 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway NASCAR ROVAL

Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
1:29 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway NASCAR ROVAL

https://youtu.be/lG4-zuFkON4

Cool! Looks like fun. And sweet to be able to do it at twilight.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Cool! Looks like fun. And sweet to be able to do it at twilight.
Even better under the lights!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Shamun160
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2:00.90 PittRace

PittRace Fulll. 2:00.90
12,000 mile original Cup 2s, street aero, headers

Old 08-05-2018, 06:32 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Had fun at Summit Point this weekend. Could have used some rain tires on Friday, but yesterday and today were sunny, warm and humid.

Set a new personal best: 1:20.28 (which also beats Chris for the top spot! ). It'll take me a few days to get the video off my phone, but I'll post it as soon as I can.

Came very close to getting a couple of 1:19.x laps, but got hung up on traffic right before the last turn (twice), and got really slow passes which cost me at least half a second each time. Yeah, I know that's easy to say, but those laps were 1:20.36 and 1:20.48, so 19's are in reach.

Also, track report on the RE71Rs I've been running: they really are good down to the cords. I set those lap times on tires that are now completely worn out (tread worn off most of each tire). I actually skipped the last two sessions because I had to drive home on those tires and didn't want to risk cording them.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
Set a new personal best: 1:20.28 (which also beats Chris for the top spot! )......
Congats Bill!! I knew you'd take it this season!! You are a great driver and hope to see you at an event sometime to do some comparisons! (Looking at the older video your corner entry is A+)

Came very close to getting a couple of 1:19.x laps, but got hung up on traffic right before the last turn (twice), and got really slow passes which cost me at least half a second each time. Yeah, I know that's easy to say, but those laps were 1:20.36 and 1:20.48, so 19's are in reach.
I agree, 1:19's are more likely this season given the improved 2018 traffic surface. If you're getting mid 120's with traffic, no-tread re71's and hot weather - I see "teens" in your future! That will be hard work to chase you down!
On weather - if you get a cool morning with no traffic - I wouldn't be surprised if a high 118 were in the cards. Just hard to get that perfect weather!

On the RE71's. curious cold/hot tire PSI and how many days/sessions you had on those tires? I have been getting rid of RE71's after ~ 4 days (12 sessions). My current set has 4day/12session but it looks ok for another track day.

Great driving Bill !
Old 08-07-2018, 07:06 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
Congats Bill!! I knew you'd take it this season!! You are a great driver and hope to see you at an event sometime to do some comparisons! (Looking at the older video your corner entry is A+)
Thanks!

Any chance you'll make it out to the DE the last weekend of October? I think that's going to be my next DE (and last for the year) -- having a kid in college is really putting a crimp on my "fun" budget....

I agree, 1:19's are more likely this season given the improved 2018 traffic surface. If you're getting mid 120's with traffic, no-tread re71's and hot weather - I see "teens" in your future! That will be hard work to chase you down!
On weather - if you get a cool morning with no traffic - I wouldn't be surprised if a high 118 were in the cards. Just hard to get that perfect weather!
Definitely looking forward to some nice, cool weather. The in-car thermometer said the temp was about 94 degrees F on track.

The session before this one, I spent a while chasing a 991.1 GT3 and we were running fairly even. After that session, he said his virtual best time had dropped to mid-18s. So, maybe....

On the RE71's. curious cold/hot tire PSI and how many days/sessions you had on those tires? I have been getting rid of RE71's after ~ 4 days (12 sessions). My current set has 4day/12session but it looks ok for another track day.

Great driving Bill !
I had 2 weekends/6 days on these tires, 3 days at Watkins Glen and 3 days at SP, plus 3 autocrosses. I did notice a bit of a drop-off of traction after the first DE, but not a huge amount. Also, I had them flipped on the rims after the first weekend.

I aim for 33-34 psi hot, and usually start around 26 psi before the first heat of the day, and then check/adjust when I come off the track. I've noticed that they start to get a little squirrelly over 36 psi, but don't get really bad until over 38.

Anyways, here's the video:

Yes, I know it sucks. I'm putting a VBox on my Christmas wish list. I tried the magnet trick on my iPhone X, but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I'll see if I can find a stiffer window mount for the phone, as this one seems a little more flexible than the one I used for my old 5S.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice drive, Great Vmin in T3 and T10.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Definitely looking forward to some nice, cool weather. The in-car thermometer said the temp was about 94 degrees F on track.

The session before this one, I spent a while chasing a 991.1 GT3 and we were running fairly even. After that session, he said his virtual best time had dropped to mid-18s. So, maybe....
Bill, nice driving! With the mods and RE71R you have, I think the GT4 has 19s in it, but that's about it. I would say that you're pretty much at pro times, and hence the limit.

I think I can get the GT3 to 18s, but the Cup 2 tires are only good for ~4 optimal laps per session, maybe even less in heat like we had this past weekend. Once the Cup 2 overheat, I think I'm off by 1-2 secs a lap. When we were running together and my tires had overheated, it was clear to me that you were outgripping me through the esses.

I need to try the DSC box too, because the GT3 suffers from instability when hard braking into T10, T4, and especially T3, which makes corner entry a lot more precarious than it should be. I believe Chris has experienced the same issue with the GT4 without the DSC box, at least in T3 (I've experienced it in our GT4).
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Nice drive, Great Vmin in T3 and T10.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Manifold
Bill, nice driving! With the mods and RE71R you have, I think the GT4 has 19s in it, but that's about it. I would say that you're pretty much at pro times, and hence the limit.

I think I can get the GT3 to 18s, but the Cup 2 tires are only good for ~4 optimal laps per session, maybe even less in heat like we had this past weekend. Once the Cup 2 overheat, I think I'm off by 1-2 secs a lap. When we were running together and my tires had overheated, it was clear to me that you were outgripping me through the esses.

I need to try the DSC box too, because the GT3 suffers from instability when hard braking into T10, T4, and especially T3, which makes corner entry a lot more precarious than it should be. I believe Chris has experienced the same issue with the GT4 without the DSC box, at least in T3 (I've experienced it in our GT4).
I think the biggest issue with your GT4 is that you really need a set of TPC rear toe links and a decent alignment, like we had talked about. The DSC box will help, but not nearly as much as the links & alignment will -- you will be amazed at the improvement from just those two things.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I think the biggest issue with your GT4 is that you really need a set of TPC rear toe links and a decent alignment, like we had talked about. The DSC box will help, but not nearly as much as the links & alignment will -- you will be amazed at the improvement from just those two things.
The GT3 suspension feels great at every track I've been to except SP, where I have the issue of instability under heavy braking in the bumpy brake zones. The GT4 has much of the same issue at SP, so I'm thinking that that DSC box may offer a significant benefit for both cars at SP, even if the benefit is minimal at other tracks. But I do want to move forward with the toe links and alignment, since there seems to be a consensus that the GT4 needs those changes for track use.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:44 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

The DSC helps but the TPC toe links and a good alignment will cure the instability under braking....if you later add the DSC they have a specific MAP for cars with TPC toe links that even compensates for front end dive during heavy braking....you are going to love the combo.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4