Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:22 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Nice, sounds great too! Updated!
Thanks Matt for maintaining this thread!
Old 12-04-2016, 05:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
COTA - 2.2882 - WRL / Momentum HPDE 12/2/16 - 19" RE71r 285/265 - Track Alignment, 19" OZs, Pagid rs29, Castrol SRF, Fabspeed Race Headers

https://youtu.be/fNlIikIqMrg
DANGgggggggg!!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
DANGgggggggg!!
Thanks Jacy. A few observations from this DE.

Need to get over my newly found fear of turn 3 & 4 . Also, I think I need to short shift into 4th in the carousel b/c I'm always running out of gear, but i don't know if it's worth it due to having to manage to downshift right before turn 19? Also, car feels nervous in the carousel as well causing me not to get WOT until late. Maybe thinking about going back to M/M swaybar setting and getting more rear toe.

Advice from ANYONE is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jacy. A few observations from this DE.

Need to get over my newly found fear of turn 3 & 4 . Also, I think I need to short shift into 4th in the carousel b/c I'm always running out of gear, but i don't know if it's worth it due to having to manage to downshift right before turn 19? Also, car feels nervous in the carousel as well causing me not to get WOT until late. Maybe thinking about going back to M/M swaybar setting and getting more rear toe.

Advice from ANYONE is greatly appreciated!
I upshift to 4th going into T2 and T16. T19 is tricky to downshift no doubt. You can carry 4th through T19 without loosing much, but it is possible to downshift if you are super smooth and get a nice clean controlled exit from T18. You should be able to be close to flat foot through 17 and 18 if you're in 4th, and it's way easier to modulate the throttle as well...as you move weight around fighting under and oversteer at the limit there. You might feel it being nervous if you've dialed out the understeer...it's all about balance. Do something to move a bit of balance to the rear like stiffer front/softer rear, or let some air out of the rear. Does not take much. A big adjustment might make it push again.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Josh, definitely short shift to 4th in the carousel...it'll also solve the nervousness

And take 19 in 4th
Old 12-06-2016, 12:03 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Josh, definitely short shift to 4th in the carousel...it'll also solve the nervousness

And take 19 in 4th
I upshift to 4th going into T2 and T16. T19 is tricky to downshift no doubt. You can carry 4th through T19 without loosing much, but it is possible to downshift if you are super smooth and get a nice clean controlled exit from T18. You should be able to be close to flat foot through 17 and 18 if you're in 4th, and it's way easier to modulate the throttle as well...as you move weight around fighting under and oversteer at the limit there. You might feel it being nervous if you've dialed out the understeer...it's all about balance. Do something to move a bit of balance to the rear like stiffer front/softer rear, or let some air out of the rear. Does not take much. A big adjustment might make it push again.
thanks guys great advice! I'll definitely try it out next time!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

And take 19 in 4th
Def 4th for the carousel, and as Dave showed, me, if you shift right as you approach the second apex it actually helps rotate the car, letting you be on throttle sooner.

I shift down to 3rd for 19 as I have to brake there anyway and then I only need one shift into 20, but then again, I am chickens###t as far as not going faster through 19.

BTW, now after having run the re71's I am convinced their grip level is super close to the R7's. That is a sweeeet tire!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Def 4th for the carousel, and as Dave showed, me, if you shift right as you approach the second apex it actually helps rotate the car, letting you be on throttle sooner.

I shift down to 3rd for 19 as I have to brake there anyway and then I only need one shift into 20, but then again, I am chickens###t as far as not going faster through 19.

BTW, now after having run the re71's I am convinced their grip level is super close to the R7's. That is a sweeeet tire!
How close in your opinion are the two tires? I was hoping Hoosiers were worth 2-3 seconds as most have stated b/c was planning going to go Hoosier fulltime after a couple more sets of RE71.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone know what happened to the yellow GT4 that was there? He was in front of me, puffed some smoke going into T1 and then seemed to have problems getting the car to move under power. He pulled off at T3 and was gone the next time I came around. This was on the first advanced session of the day.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

How close in your opinion are the two tires? I was hoping Hoosiers were worth 2-3 seconds as most have stated b/c was planning going to go Hoosier fulltime after a couple more sets of RE71.
Purely my opinion - I think the R7s are at best 2 secs faster at cota than re71's for no more than 8 sessions. After that they are equal with the 7's dropping off fast. Not sure where the crossover is and the r7's actually become slower, I would guess around 12-16 cycles.

BUT, I don't have concrete data and this is my speculation. Ortojoe also pointed out that the re71's handle heat better and more consistent over a session and that is often more important in DE environment as you never know when you will get a clean lap in.

Going forward I will only run R7's in select cases where best lap times can be reasonably expected - cool weather, dry track, fast groups with passing everywhere. Any other time, for me, running R7's over RE71Rs are simply pissing money away...

Again, lots of opinion...
Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 PM
jslee225
Racer

Purely my opinion - I think the R7s are at best 2 secs faster at cota than re71's for no more than 8 sessions. After that they are equal with the 7's dropping off fast. Not sure where the crossover is and the r7's actually become slower, I would guess around 12-16 cycles.

BUT, I don't have concrete data and this is my speculation. Ortojoe also pointed out that the re71's handle heat better and more consistent over a session and that is often more important in DE environment as you never know when you will get a clean lap in.

Going forward I will only run R7's in select cases where best lap times can be reasonably expected - cool weather, dry track, fast groups with passing everywhere. Any other time, for me, running R7's over RE71Rs are simply pissing money away...

Wise man! Makes sense, and i'll probably follow suit! Can't wait to try Hoosiers
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

That would be awesome - but I need another set of wheels for the 71s. At the BMW event, the R7s I was running were on their 4th day (about 14-16 cycles) and the best I could muster was a 26.8 with unicorn hairs mixed with my coffee. Fun, but not fast.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 PM
jslee225
Racer

That would be awesome - but I need another set of wheels for the 71s. At the BMW event, the R7s I was running were on their 4th day (about 14-16 cycles) and the best I could muster was a 26.8 with unicorn hairs mixed with my coffee. Fun, but not fast.
Jacy, that is moving! Would love to get a reference lap next time so I have something to aspire to
Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Spot on about using a short shift to gently aid rotation. Underrated underutilized and under appreciated
Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Jacy, that is moving! Would love to get a reference lap next time so I have something to aspire to
Are you using racelogic? I can open up a folder a few of us use to share lap data in circuit tools. Otherwise I'll upload lap to youtube...not a reference by any means.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4