Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:15 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
You're running less camber than most of these guys??
On a fairly stock car, the DSC can have very effective results... as it minimizes compression in corners, therefore lessening the loss of camber as the rear suspension compresses.

Originally Posted by Hawk Yama
Greeting trebien!! Maybe you are the guy standing close to us when the storm was passing? I noticed there was a red GT4 in the same paddock so was it your car?
Yes, I was walking through that garage during the storm... but the red GT4 was not mine, my GT4 is white... will see you soon at the next event.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm jealous I missed Chin at COTA, great laps guys! Josh, bummer on the issues with the car, but four 29s in a row on RE71Rs is mental, nice driving!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yama,

What's your secret?
Contrary to conventional wisdom, alignments don't add much to performance on GT cars. The GT3 guys figured this out over a year ago. You can still run really fast times with stock alignment. I'll bet the outer edge of his tires are really beat up, though.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Contrary to conventional wisdom, alignments don't add much to performance on GT cars. The GT3 guys figured this out over a year ago. You can still run really fast times with stock alignment. I'll bet the outer edge of his tires are really beat up, though.
I was going to say, I don't recall the car being any faster with an alignment - but it keeps the front tires a little happier. Tires are probably the biggest factor R7>RE71r>Cup2.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

^^ on RS I would even say the more camber, the slower.
And unless really slow youre gonna kill the tires' outer edge anyway.

With -2F and R the tires cord on day 4 at that point they are slow anyways.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I was going to say, I don't recall the car being any faster with an alignment - but it keeps the front tires a little happier. Tires are probably the biggest factor R7>RE71r>Cup2.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ on RS I would even say the more camber, the slower.
And unless really slow youre gonna kill the tires' outer edge anyway.

With -2F and R the tires cord on day 4 at that point they are slow anyways.
3 guys who know what they are talking confirming. Who'da thunk it?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:19 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
3 guys who know what they are talking confirming. Who'da thunk it?
wish I would have known that before dropping $$$ on perfecting alignment.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:21 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by trebien
Now you're thinking! Go west, young man...

I think I met you and a friend Sunday as I was walking through one of the garages; I had short hair and the heel-toe t-shirt on.

It was a busy weekend instructin

g with lotsa traffic, variable conditions and students/ride-alongs... I got in 1 session on Saturday without a passenger for 6 laps and knocked a second off my PB... irritating because I started running 2:30s with a passenger on Sunday, but then tires corded. I learned that the RE71 grip well at end of life; still consistent but do lose a little bit of traction... which made for some fun, sloppy Sunday laps with ShakenBake taking up my rearview mirror... mainly sideways with his worn Hoosiers.

CotA - 2:30.47 - stock car, stock pads, stock alignment, stock wheels with RE71R

And then, for those that stuck around Sunday afternoon... the skies parted, the sun came out, and these 8 Unicorns dropped from the heavens after the track went cold... mass Vulcanization:

Great time shawn. Looks like every time you go to cota you chip away at your times!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 PM
jslee225
Racer

Went to Chin HPDE at COTA this weekend. I knew there were some Rennlist guys but didn't have a chance to visit... Actually I went to ShankNBake trailer to chat without knowing why today (because the car looked fast and exhaust sound was good!!) but nobody was there at that moment...

Anyhow, I was hoping it would be still kind of cool temp but it was around 75F and probably humid too due to storm approaching. I wasn't able to run the 1st session due to a check ride for a first time instructor. I was able to make only one clean lap overall and it was 2m28.69. The configuration was pretty much same when I ran at TWS but I did alignment this time (it was as is last time). Then it turned out actually the rear was toe-out!! I guess that's why the car was neutral :P The car was felt tight at exit this time. The overall configurations are:
Awesome time! I've actually looked at some of your cayman r videos which gave me some tips for COTA. Hope to meet you soon!
Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jslee225
wish I would have known that before dropping $$$ on perfecting alignment.

Live and learn I guess.
I've always said that the only reason I make changes to my GT cars is to get even tire wear so I don't burn money on tires so fast. It's never been to extract better lap times because I haven't seen it.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 AM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

Yama,

What's your secret?
There is no secret JSF101, They are the max camber I can put on my GT4. That's all. As orthojoe mentioned, putting more camber can help even tire wear but could cause irregular wear on street or more ruts wandering.

On a fairly stock car, the DSC can have very effective results... as it minimizes compression in corners, therefore lessening the loss of camber as the rear suspension compresses.

Yes, I was walking through that garage during the storm... but the red GT4 was not mine, my GT4 is white... will see you soon at the next event.

trebien, it wasn't cheap to buy the unit I bet it helped a lot!! Actually, I feel more value on street though...

Originally Posted by jslee225
Awesome time! I've actually looked at some of your cayman r videos which gave me some tips for COTA. Hope to meet you soon!
Thanks jslee225!! It's very nice if my video gave you some tips. Now the track allows more short cut and wide exit than before so lap time relies on how aggressive you do that too.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:46 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Now the track allows more short cut and wide exit than before so lap time relies on how aggressive you do that too.
They have always let you do that as long as you stayed in control - but it's a different track at that point, especially 3-5 and 19. Easily worth 2 seconds cutting those corners by straddling or completely crossing the gators like I saw a TON of people doing last weekend. We were snickering in the drivers meeting when one of the race teams asked what the "track limits" were that weekend.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:42 PM
trebien
Racer

They have always let you do that as long as you stayed in control.
Unless the orange gator pyramids are in effect... of which, I believe they have 3 heights.

Personally, I wish they would leave them out there installed...

My student asked how much he could cut the corners... and I had to explain that there are "DE" rules and "Racing" rules. For the sake of creating good driving habits, I instruct my students to try to utilize the more restrictive racing rules.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Unless the orange gator pyramids are in effect... of which, I believe they have 3 heights.

Personally, I wish they would leave them out there installed...

My student asked how much he could cut the corners... and I had to explain that there are "DE" rules and "Racing" rules. For the sake of creating good driving habits, I instruct my students to try to utilize the more restrictive racing rules.
Exactly. On the gators is very different than straddling them, or going outside them. 3-5 can be WAAAAAAAY faster if you don't need to turn.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 04-05-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:09 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you rate in that ranking the NT01?

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4