Sponsored by: APR

Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John,

My first thought was that it would make it easy to insulate/coat the inside and outside of the header pipes without contaminating the converter, but the track conversion sounds as good if not better.

V6
Old 12-23-2016, 02:58 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Can we order it in the group buy?

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We are proud to announce the release of the newly redesigned Sport Manifolds from Cargraphic which offer a 2 piece modular design, include removable 200-cell Catalytic Converters. We will update as we receive more information from Cargraphic as to the availability or cost on a cat-delete pipe for those who want the best of both worlds!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:10 PM
981.GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3rs.
+1
Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My queation about this (maybe for people who have the headers already) is how do they affect the sound of the car? I would of course like my Spyder (ok I'm lurking on the GT4 forum but you understand!) to have more power, but the car as it stands just sounds perfect to me so I am hesitant to change it. Any sound impressions of the header swap appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

A good option. This would be a welcome addition for those of us who don't plan to track, so that the cat can be easily replaced if necessary.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:04 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the removable cat option for sure. definitely would have gone that route if available when I got mine.
Attached Images   
Old 12-27-2016, 12:01 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3rs.
Originally Posted by 981.GT4
+1
Yes absolutely! This group buy will be for the first batch of the new 2 piece design, so all sport manifolds purchased through this will be the new version.

We are at 9 committed parties, one more and we can make this happen! Once we reach the 10, we will run the group buy through the end of this week. Get in while you can! For those on the fence, at group buy pricing these are coming in right at $3000 shipped to your door!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

John, have you found out whether or not Cargraphics will be offering "straight pipe" adapters to replace the cats on these? If so, count me in.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Yellowbyrd
John, have you found out whether or not Cargraphics will be offering "straight pipe" adapters to replace the cats on these? If so, count me in.
Cargraphic is shut down until the new year, so we are still waiting on final word from on the "cat-delete" pipe. We will update as soon as we know more!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I've had the CG sport headers on my car for about 3500 track miles. I picked them because they had the longest tube design and were promoted by John at BGB, a shop with a tremendous reputation in racing caymans, building 3.8 conversions (in which a had a couple really eye-opening rides, long before the GT4 existed), and raved about in general by the PCA community. He also hooked me up with all my suspension bits I needed. Long story short, the headers have worked out flawlessly. A few of us in Texas have been worried about header temps, so when my car caught fire this summer at COTA, I was quick to blame the headers before we had taken the car apart to see what really happened. John must have sent me 5 emails and even more calls over the period of a week to check in and see what he could do to help...even after we learned that the headers had nothing to do with the incident. (As an aside, it turns out that the fabspeed exhaust I have broke at the flange where it connects to the header. That failure then piped in hot exhaust gases into the wheel area which melted everything that was not metal. There was nothing that stayed on fire, so no damage beyond wiring and brake line. Still a big expense to fix, and Fabspeed stood behind their product.)

One thing that BGB learned from racing Caymans is that there is a lot of mechanical stress put on the exhaust system, and having the ear of cargraphic, BGB recommended a stress relief in the race header design. Now that I've seen a stock header fail at the flange on a friend's car, in addition to my cat-back exhaust failing in about the same location, it seems pretty clear that having this two-piece design on a track car is pretty valuable.

Along the way I've had a cat efficiency code throw, which I think I posted about...I was not happy about it at the time, but turned out to be a fluke and has never appeared again. When it happened, BGB was all over it, and was prepared to do whatever it took to make everything work out....but the code never came back, even after another few hundred miles of track and road use.

Given that i've not had any trouble with my Sport header, and with BGB in the mix, my choice would be a race header from cargraphic if I were to do it again. You do run a risk of burning up your cats on the track, especially if you are running in high ambient temp area, and a failure is not covered by warranty. You can look at it as the cost of having your cake and eating it to, or you can get race headers. Either way, CG makes an excellent header and you have a great business helping you out.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John, do you have more info re the cat delete option? Pricing and availability?
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

What happened to the group buy did it go through? If in need of another I will hop in.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
John, do you have more info re the cat delete option? Pricing and availability?
Still waiting to hear back with confirmation on this from Cargraphic after the holiday. Hope we can have final word on this by tomorrow!

Pricing on the 2 piece Sport Manifolds is $3294.50, plus shipping. We are offering 15% off on the group buy, with shipping charges at $200

Originally Posted by CarAholic
What happened to the group buy did it go through? If in need of another I will hop in.
Due to the delay in the details of the 2 piece design manifolds, we are extending this group buy through the end of next week (January 13th).
Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys. We are ready to place our initial order with Cargraphic on this group buy for the first 10 sets! I have emailed anyone who expressed interest to collect payment information. We will still run the group buy pricing through the end of next week, so if you are interested but on the fence, now is the time!

Wray
Old 01-05-2017, 06:47 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Hey guys. We are ready to place our initial order with Cargraphic on this group buy for the first 10 sets! I have emailed anyone who expressed interest to collect payment information. We will still run the group buy pricing through the end of next week, so if you are interested but on the fence, now is the time!

Wray
Does the group buy include both the catted section and the straight pipe option? Sorry if this has already been covered

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?