Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ok, these are the GPS coordinates that I use

#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_LAT 36.579005
#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_LONG -121.751864
#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_RADIUS_POINT_LAT 36.581142
#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_RADIUS_POINT_LONG -121.754436
Thanks! Updated to version 2 and linked here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e_4wire_v2.zip
Old 10-02-2016, 03:08 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx
Updated GPS unit!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 01:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Took the car to Sonoma raceway yesterday and demolished my last PB of 1:50.5 with a new PB of 1:48.2. It was primarily attributed to MUCH cooler weather. Ambient temps were in the 70s.

The car is perfectly setup for me right now. There is very little understeer at this point and the car is essentially neutral thoughout the entire corner. For whatever reason, understeer starts to show up the warmer the weather gets. With the DSC, tarret springs, and camber set at -3.0F/-2.6R, the tire wear is almost even, and the front/rear are wearing at a similar rate too. My 19" RE71R are still good, but I decided to try out the 20" RE71R on my OEM wheels. I don't think the added 10mm in the rear makes a difference, but I can't say for sure. All I know is that right now the car is perfect and I'm not changing a thing anymore. To recap my setup:

Tarret monoball ends front and rear
Tarret front thrust arm bushings
Tarret front tie rods
Tarret rear toe links
Tarret swing swift spring kit
2 Front 448 lb/in Swift main springs
2 Rear 560 lb/in Swift main springs
4 Rear Swift helper springs with spacers
DSC unit
-3.0F/-2.6R camber
front toe zero
rear toe 6mm TOTAL toe in
Front sway bar soft
rear sway bar stiff

I had this clunking and squeaking going on in my car that has been getting worse ever since it started back in March. Turns out it was a pair of failed rear lca monoball ends which tarett replaced under warranty. The noise is now gone.

Going to Laguna next Friday!

I love this car.

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-08-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^ VERY happy for you! It's been a long time coming! You've put in so much effort to tweak and refine the setup on your car. Once you get it right it's blissful. It's a great car that's been made even greater.

Thank you for your continued efforts to iron out all the kinks and to keep us abreast of your progress!

Please edit your post above to include the rates of the new springs you installed. IIRC you didn't feel much of a difference with the new springs. Is that correct? No reduction in dive upon hard braking? No improvement in weight transfer in the quick transitions?

You know, of course, that the whole process could start over again once you try a set of Hoosiers...
Old 10-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

OrthoJoe, GREAT thread,just wow-boon for GT4 owners! Some questions, if you can find time to explain, you're at the Holy Grail of gt4 nirvana-commendable!

I'm maxed out on shims and oem settings for camber and its not enough, like everyone else here.

Radio and ac del Carmine Red LWB PCCB Red Painted dash and yellow stitch
100% trailer queen to track only
Car setup by EVOMS here in AZ got like 2.4/2.2 max front camber and about 2.1/2.4 with some shims and oem limits

.. so I have the following so far:

-TPC latest DSC
-TPC rear toe links

and am about to place an order this week:

-front race Tarret camber plates(?) OR monoballs, see Q1
-981 GT4 Spring Upgrade Kit

and have a few questions before I add monoballs and solid bushings to the order:

Q1Camber vs monoball: Is there a reason you opted to not use a camber plate up top?similar costs. Are you getting 3.0 front camber using *just* the monoball ends? are you using them for the longer stud then, less play or both aspects? Is the key tire wear solution HERE?!? Im very curious how much spacer width are you running in the front and rear LCA-I assume these are the longer than oem?

Q2Sways:What is your sway bar settings be with that setup you have?

Q3TAB: Regarding Tarret front thrust arm bushings- are you adjusting caster at all or just taking out play?

Q4TieRod: How do Tarret front tie rods help over oem? Can this be skipped? You're at oem ride height, yes?

Q5PCCB19: maybe I missed it but anyone on 19's on pccb?

thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 92 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htT700NgCTY

Took the car to Sonoma raceway yesterday and demolished by last PB of 1:50.5 with a new PB of 1:48.2. It was primarily attributed to MUCH cooler weather. Ambient temps were in the 70s.

The car is perfectly setup for me right now. There is very little understeer at this point and the car is essentially neutral thoughout the entire corner. For whatever reason, understeer starts to show up the warmer the weather gets. With the DSC, tarret springs, and camber set at -3.0F/-2.6R, the tire wear is almost even, and the front/rear are wearing at a similar rate too. My 19" RE71R are still good, but I decided to try out the 20" RE71R on my OEM wheels. I don't think the added 10mm in the rear makes a difference, but I can't say for sure. All I know is that right now the car is perfect and I'm not changing a thing anymore. To recap my setup:

Tarret front tie rods
Tarret rear toe links
DSC unit
-3.0F/-2.6R camber
front toe zero

I had this clunking and squeaking going on in my car that has been getting worse ever since it started back in March. Turns out it was a pair of failed rear lca monoball ends which tarett replaced under warranty. The noise is now gone.

I love this car.
Awesome, Joe! You were right about RE71's, they worked great for me yesterday and got PB. Just needed proper alignment settings.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
^^^^ VERY happy for you! It's been a long time coming! You've put in so much effort to tweak and refine the setup on your car. Once you get it right it's blissful. It's a great car that's been made even greater.

Thank you for your continued efforts to iron out all the kinks and to keep us abreast of your progress!

Please edit your post above to include the rates of the new springs you installed. IIRC you didn't feel much of a difference with the new springs. Is that correct? No reduction in dive upon hard braking? No improvement in weight transfer in the quick transitions?

You know, of course, that the whole process could start over again once you try a set of Hoosiers...
Thanks, man. No Hoosiers! No trailer and don't want one! LOL
The spring kit has the following specs:

I don't FEEL a difference, but I also had the DSC unit working prior to the spring install. I hesitate to make any statements unless I know I can say something objectively or at least with subjective certainty. Objectively, the tire wear is nearly even and the front/back wear is even if not slightly more in the rear now.

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
OrthoJoe, GREAT thread,just wow-boon for GT4 owners! Some questions, if you can find time to explain, you're at the Holy Grail of gt4 nirvana-commendable!

I'm maxed out on shims and oem settings for camber and its not enough, like everyone else here.

Radio and ac del Carmine Red LWB PCCB Red Painted dash and yellow stitch
100% trailer queen to track only
Car setup by EVOMS here in AZ got like 2.4/2.2 max front camber and about 2.1/2.4 with some shims and oem limits

.. so I have the following so far:

-TPC latest DSC
-TPC rear toe links

and am about to place an order this week:

-front race Tarret camber plates(?) OR monoballs, see Q1
-981 GT4 Spring Upgrade Kit

and have a few questions before I add monoballs and solid bushings to the order:

Q1Camber vs monoball: Is there a reason you opted to not use a camber plate up top?similar costs. Are you getting 3.0 front camber using *just* the monoball ends? are you using them for the longer stud then, less play or both aspects? Is the key tire wear solution HERE?!? Im very curious how much spacer width are you running in the front and rear LCA-I assume these are the longer than oem?
I don't see a need for camber plates when you can get exactly what you want with the OEM lower control arms while increasing your front track. I run the tarett cup monoballs up front which come with a large spacer included and longer studs. Number of shims needed to achieve a certain degree of camber will vary car to car, so that type of information won't be helpful. The monoballs are there to make the entire lca unit solid since using a solid adjustable thrust arm bushing will be needed to get aggressive camber and maintain the proper amount of caster.

Q2Sways:What is your sway bar settings be with that setup you have?
soft front , stiff rear

Q3TAB: Regarding Tarret front thrust arm bushings- are you adjusting caster at all or just taking out play?
adjusting caster to OEM spec. I'm at 8.6 degrees

Q4TieRod: How do Tarret front tie rods help over oem? Can this be skipped? You're at oem ride height, yes?
yes, oem ride height. It is my understanding that you will run out of threads in the front OEM tie rods if you run aggressive camber.

Q5PCCB19: maybe I missed it but anyone on 19's on pccb?
laranja is running 19" with pccb

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Awesome, Joe! You were right about RE71's, they worked great for me yesterday and got PB. Just needed proper alignment settings.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

I run the tarett cup monoballs up front which come with a large spacer included and longer studs.
so CUP up front and non cup on the rear end?

just making sure before I click BUY in the shopping cart
Old 10-08-2016, 03:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
so CUP up front and non cup on the rear end?

just making sure before I click BUY in the shopping cart
Correct
Old 10-08-2016, 04:17 PM
trky
Track Day

Thanks, man. No Hoosiers! No trailer and don't want one! LOL
Really helpful info Orthojoe. Interested how you still get even tire wear even with that much camber when not using a trailer. Wouldn't driving to and from the tracks wear the inside of the tire more and make it uneven?
Old 10-08-2016, 04:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by trky
Really helpful info Orthojoe. Interested how you still get even tire wear even with that much camber when not using a trailer. Wouldn't driving to and from the tracks wear the inside of the tire more and make it uneven?
Nah. Causal street driving and driving to track and back doesn't cause any wear. I don't daily drive the car and even if I did, my commute is so short it wouldn't matter. The tires still wear a touch more on the outer side, but nowhere near as bad as before. I'll know more after a few more track days for sure. I hope I don't need to flip the tires on the wheels anymore
Old 10-08-2016, 04:32 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by trky

Easy peasy. When he drives to the track he wears the insides and on the track he wears the outsides.

I think someone else trailers in the libations; mooty to the rescue.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htT700NgCTY

Took the car to Sonoma raceway yesterday and demolished by last PB of 1:50.5 with a new PB of 1:48.2. It was primarily attributed to MUCH cooler weather. Ambient temps were in the 70s.

Tarret front tie rods
Tarret rear toe links
DSC unit
-3.0F/-2.6R camber
front toe zero
Front sway bar soft
rear sway bar stiff

I love this car.
So Joe, you did not put the tires and wheels on your "final for now " set up but they were included in your post. Would you say 20" OEM with the RE71Rs make the final cut, or would you put the 19" on the ingredient list? Thanks for the report and testing.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
So Joe, you did not put the tires and wheels on your "final for now " set up but they were included in your post. Would you say 20" OEM with the RE71Rs make the final cut, or would you put the 19" on the ingredient list? Thanks for the report and testing.
That is TBD. I was planning on running either one depending on availability. I think they are equivalent for now, but I'm not sure

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings