eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Joe on the new PB!!! I guess I need bigger turbos
Old 10-08-2016, 07:58 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My Tarett monoballs make a clunking noise when getting on the power coming out of turns.. but it's been essentially the same (you might say stable since installation for 9 track days. Is this what you were experiencing Joe?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
Congrats Joe on the new PB!!! I guess I need bigger turbos
You just need to come out to the track!

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
My Tarett monoballs make a clunking noise when getting on the power coming out of turns.. but it's been essentially the same (you might say stable since installation for 9 track days. Is this what you were experiencing Joe?
Most of the clunk happens running over minor bumps on the road, but you can hear it during transitions in turns on track. It started with a clunk and then the squeak started. Was relatively stable the first 4 months, but then got much worse over the last month. Sounded like something was broken in the suspension. Monoballs should not make noise. Tarret has a bunch of bad monoballs out there. QC is a problem. If mine fails again, I'm going to replace with RSS
Old 10-14-2016, 08:00 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on dialling the understeer out. And again many thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Went to Spa earlier this week with the car bone stock and factory alignment.

The track has some very fast turns and as much as I can feel the understeer in the medium speed stuff (50-60mph-ish) it seems not to be an issue at higher speeds (95mph+).

I don't know if it is me just not pushing it hard enough when going faster (fear slows me down) or if there is some influence of aero on the general balance of the car at higher speeds.

As to the tire wear here's how the CS2s look after 180 miles of clockwise track action + some wet laps and 3500 leisurely street miles.

Front left

Front right

Rear right

Rear Left
Old 10-16-2016, 01:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Congrats on dialling the understeer out. And again many thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Went to Spa earlier this week with the car bone stock and factory alignment.

https://youtu.be/85gL60kac1Q

The track has some very fast turns and as much as I can feel the understeer in the medium speed stuff (50-60mph-ish) it seems not to be an issue at higher speeds (95mph+).

I don't know if it is me just not pushing it hard enough when going faster (fear slows me down) or if there is some influence of aero on the general balance of the car at higher speeds.

As to the tire wear here's how the CS2s look after 180 miles of clockwise track action + some wet laps and 3500 leisurely street miles.
Wow, spa looks like such a beautiful and fun track! Thank you for sharing. Very nice driving!

Understeer on slow corners cannot be totally dialed out on this car, but med/high speed turns can be addressed with simple sway bar setting changes.

Your tire wear looks appropriate for a car that was driven well/hard on track. The outer edge wear is slightly accelerated due to stock alignment settings. I would expect the tires to look like that after 250 miles of track use with camber settings in the -2.7 range. As expected, the rear tires look just fine.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Day 2 on my latest and hopefully final setup on the GT4.
I took the car back to Laguna Seca and was able to beat my prior best lap time by 0.8 seconds.

1:38.4

Looking at my data from my prior best lap of 1:39.2, my time was gained by getting on the throttle much sooner and harder at T4 and using a single apex for T2.

1:38.4 in blue and 1:39.2 in red

I was able to run 1:38.4 and 1:38.7 back to back. If you look at the video, in the first lap I did a single apex and the 2nd lap was a double apex. The data below shows about 0.5 seconds faster because of higher exit speed with the single apex vs the way I did the double apex. In the first lap, there was a yellow flag at dirt at T5, which made me brake earlier and caused a slight slide in the corner. This costed me 0.5 seconds. The 2nd lap I lost 0.5 seconds by doing the double apex and gained 0.5 seconds by entering T5 faster and smoother. I think if I switch to single apex alone I can dip into 1:37. I'm clearly not using the entire track on exit still, which means I can be more aggressive with power and track out. In the right hands and conditions, I'm fairly certain the car can do 1:36. I'm shooting for 1:37 next time. Here is the graph of my 1:38.4 (blue) vs 1:38.7 (red)

The 20" RE71R are holding up fine so far. 10 heat cycles on them and 230 track miles. The rears look like they are even. The fronts still have some beveling of the middle band and the outer edge is still wearing faster than the inner edge, but at a slower rate than before the tarett springs. I would love to get 25 heat cycles out of these without having to flip the tires on the wheels. Let's see how it goes.
Front left:

Front right:

Rear:

Front right tire shot at angle to show the beveling and edge wear

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-16-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always suspected the single apex t2 was faster. Double apex in a race to protect the line?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I always suspected the single apex t2 was faster. Double apex in a race to protect the line?
Maybe, or I'm just not doing it right
Old 10-16-2016, 04:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Day 2 on my latest and hopefully final setup on the GT4.
I took the car back to Laguna Seca and was able to beat my prior best lap time by 0.8 seconds.

1:38.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BOM6iYqk8

Looking at my data from my prior best lap of 1:39.2, my time was gained by getting on the throttle much sooner and harder at T4 and using a single apex for T2.

1:38.4 in blue and 1:39.2 in red

I was able to run 1:38.4 and 1:38.7 back to back. If you look at the video, in the first lap I did a single apex and the 2nd lap was a double apex. The data below shows about 0.5 seconds faster because of higher exit speed with the single apex vs the way I did the double apex. In the first lap, there was a yellow flag at dirt at T5, which made me brake earlier and caused a slight slide in the corner. This costed me 0.5 seconds. The 2nd lap I lost 0.5 seconds by doing the double apex and gained 0.5 seconds by entering T5 faster and smoother. I think if I switch to single apex alone I can dip into 1:37. I'm clearly not using the entire track on exit still, which means I can be more aggressive with power and track out. In the right hands and conditions, I'm fairly certain the car can do 1:36. I'm shooting for 1:37 next time. Here is the graph of my 1:38.4 (blue) vs 1:38.7 (red)

The 20" RE71R are holding up fine so far. 10 heat cycles on them and 230 track miles. The rears look like they are even. The fronts still have some beveling of the middle band and the outer edge is still wearing faster than the inner edge, but at a slower rate than before the tarett springs. I would love to get 25 heat cycles out of these without having to flip the tires on the wheels. Let's see how it goes.
Front left:

Front right:

Rear:

Front right tire shot at angle to show the beveling and edge wear
Any change in hot pressures?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ExMB
Any change in hot pressures?
Been running 33/34 hot, but I'm starting to wonder if lower pressures might be better. Gt3 I drove felt pretty good in the 31/32 range
Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
...med/high speed turns can be addressed with simple sway bar setting changes.

Your tire wear looks appropriate for a car that was driven well/hard on track. The outer edge wear is slightly accelerated due to stock alignment settings. I would expect the tires to look like that after 250 miles of track use with camber settings in the -2.7 range. As expected, the rear tires look just fine.
Will try to do one more trackday this year (weather permitting) on stock settings. We'll see what's possible in the camber department with factory parts over the winter.

In terms of pressures I find the 29/33 f/r setting to be spot on. The rear can take some more but anything above 30 up front spoils the fun for me.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those of you that are running the RE71R. What ideal cold / hot temps are you running front and rear?

I tried 28 PSI all around and tires got very greasy 20 minutes in.

25F/26R seemed to be pretty good for me. Just got a full track alignment / corner balancing (-2.5 camber up front too) and RSS toe links so let's see how the tire Heats up now.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
For those of you that are running the RE71R. What ideal cold / hot temps are you running front and rear?

I tried 28 PSI all around and tires got very greasy 20 minutes in.

25F/26R seemed to be pretty good for me. Just got a full track alignment / corner balancing (-2.5 camber up front too) and RSS toe links so let's see how the tire Heats up now.
Are you talking cold temps? Sounds about right.
I've been running 32/33 hot
Old 11-03-2016, 03:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Joe, what are your thoughts on the stiffer springs?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:17 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Joe, what are your thoughts on the stiffer springs?
I drove a GT4 on Monday at Thunderhill with the stiffer springs and loved how stable it felt at turn in (very flat). I wish I could have tried it on the street to feel the trade off on bumpiness...

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings