Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Makes me wonder if some of the aftermarket parts we are putting on the cars are causing the rear end waggle for some people. I drove a factory stock gt4 once and didn't have a problem with the rear end either
Or guys with a lot of track days have worn out the diff?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Or guys with a lot of track days have worn out the diff?
Possible as well
Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Waggle.
Newbie to this forum but have been following it for a while. I have a heavily modified 981S, not a GT4, but I used to have quite a bit of rear end waggle under heavy straight braking. Adding the Guard diff helped but it didn't eliminate the issue. This past summer I installed the TPC DSC Sport system with their recommended springs. The first map had a little waggle left. When we upgraded to their latest map, which is the one they developed on their GT4 with Pobst driving, the waggle was completely gone. Pretty happy with the result. FWIW
Old 09-28-2016, 04:20 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

I have the TPC rear toe links, DSC mod., and Tarett springs/solid monoballs on my car and the waggle is still there but its become slow, kind of drawn out. I'm running 4mm total toe-in in the rear which I think is a little less then Joe. I'd love to have none but I can live with it and don't really notice it much now.

I'm very happy with the spring upgrade and how the car now feels on the track, street not so much.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:12 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey guys, I know I'm a more novice driver, but I felt like the car felt very planted to me at laguna yesterday. I have an alignment with the stock hardware, and I didn't get any waggle going into T2 which I kinda expected. My old MINI JCW, used to get a mad wag at the end of that straight the GT4 felt solid and confidence inspiring in comparison. Granted, I'm less aggressive so maybe that accounts for something?

But at Sonoma I really did get some bad wag braking on the straight-ish part into the carousel. I think at that point I did have a small amount of steering input.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Hey guys, I know I'm a more novice driver, but I felt like the car felt very planted to me at laguna yesterday. I have an alignment with the stock hardware, and I didn't get any waggle going into T2 which I kinda expected. My old MINI JCW, used to get a mad wag at the end of that straight the GT4 felt solid and confidence inspiring in comparison. Granted, I'm less aggressive so maybe that accounts for something?

But at Sonoma I really did get some bad wag braking on the straight-ish part into the carousel. I think at that point I did have a small amount of steering input.
Are you standing on the brakes into T2?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:37 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by futurz
Waggle.
Newbie to this forum but have been following it for a while. I have a heavily modified 981S, not a GT4, but I used to have quite a bit of rear end waggle under heavy straight braking. Adding the Guard diff helped but it didn't eliminate the issue. This past summer I installed the TPC DSC Sport system with their recommended springs. The first map had a little waggle left. When we upgraded to their latest map, which is the one they developed on their GT4 with Pobst driving, the waggle was completely gone. Pretty happy with the result. FWIW
Thanks for the feedback; glad you're enjoying the set up!

I have the TPC rear toe links, DSC mod., and Tarett springs/solid monoballs on my car and the waggle is still there but its become slow, kind of drawn out. I'm running 4mm total toe-in in the rear which I think is a little less then Joe. I'd love to have none but I can live with it and don't really notice it much now.

I'm very happy with the spring upgrade and how the car now feels on the track, street not so much.
We'd love to help and see if we can sort out the car further! This is the first time I've heard of a slower, drawn out waggle so would like to try and figure out what might be causing that. Sending you a PM. Feel free to call or email us:

(410) 799-7798
sales@dscsport.com
Old 09-30-2016, 12:04 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Anyone who is interested in hearing the effect of the GPS controller at LS should watch this vid of my car for a few laps. Even though you can't hear it from inside the car normally it's pretty obvious here. Add the Fabspeed turn downs I had on with the mic mounted next to the lic plate on the opposite side and the sound muffling is pretty extreme. I'll probably go back to the stock tips now as I was blowing sound with the regular Fabspeed tips / gps controller.

Plus some guy in a red GT4 makes an appearance about 15 minutes in. Thanks to the traffic I managed to keep him in sight for a half lap or so!

This is my 3rd day at LS in this car and I'm feeling more and more comfortable with it's limits. All the suspension work has helped that although at those laptimes I doubt it's fully coming into play.

Thanks to Jay Rosas at Vision Wells for the great video work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y4X...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-30-2016, 12:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Anyone who is interested in hearing the effect of the GPS controller at LS should watch this vid of my car for a few laps. Even though you can't hear it from inside the car normally it's pretty obvious here. Add the Fabspeed turn downs I had on with the mic mounted next to the lic plate on the opposite side and the sound muffling is pretty extreme. I'll probably go back to the stock tips now as I was blowing sound with the regular Fabspeed tips / gps controller.

Plus some guy in a red GT4 makes an appearance about 15 minutes in. Thanks to the traffic I managed to keep him in sight for a half lap or so!

This is my 3rd day at LS in this car and I'm feeling more and more comfortable with it's limits. All the suspension work has helped that although at those laptimes I doubt it's fully coming into play.

Thanks to Jay Rosas at Vision Wells for the great video work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y4X...ature=youtu.be
Oh man, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen my car from angles like that before. So cool! I remember driving up behind you and seeing all of the cameras on the car and was thinking to myself, "man, he's more crazy with the cameras than me!" LOL!

You can definitely hear the sound difference with the valves fully closed. If you want, I can send you my custom GPS coordinates. Mech's default coordinates cast a very wide net (sounds like it closes at the apex of 4 and opens at the apex of 8), whereas mine close at the braking zone of T5 and open up after you exit T6. Never had a black flag in the past 2 years I've been running the system with my coordinates
Old 09-30-2016, 01:29 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Thanks to you guys I've contacted Alekshop to get a GPS controller installed before 11/6 @ MRLS. I can't wait.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Please share the coordinates and I'll update the defaults! That is unless you want $100 per coordinate set, or want to keep them secret like wheel offsets and alignment settings... LOL

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Oh man, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen my car from angles like that before. So cool! I remember driving up behind you and seeing all of the cameras on the car and was thinking to myself, "man, he's more crazy with the cameras than me!" LOL!

You can definitely hear the sound difference with the valves fully closed. If you want, I can send you my custom GPS coordinates. Mech's default coordinates cast a very wide net (sounds like it closes at the apex of 4 and opens at the apex of 8), whereas mine close at the braking zone of T5 and open up after you exit T6. Never had a black flag in the past 2 years I've been running the system with my coordinates
Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah. That is easy too! I'll pull them off the unit and post the coordinates here when I get home!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:59 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bk_911
Thanks to you guys I've contacted Alekshop to get a GPS controller installed before 11/6 @ MRLS. I can't wait.
big B: no suspension stuff? you can only resist the power of the dark side for so long . . . .
Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

big B: no suspension stuff? you can only resist the power of the dark side for so long . . . .
Haha we shall see. I'm still on the "mod the driver" train.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Please share the coordinates and I'll update the defaults! That is unless you want $100 per coordinate set, or want to keep them secret like wheel offsets and alignment settings... LOL
Ok, these are the GPS coordinates that I use

#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_LAT 36.579005
#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_LONG -121.751864
#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_RADIUS_POINT_LAT 36.581142
#define LAGUNA_BOOTH_RADIUS_POINT_LONG -121.754436

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings