Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Fstclyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nice! Confirmed 19" fitment with pccb. Solid.

That looks really tight. Expect some scratches on the caliper that nobody will see unless the wheel is removed.
So 19x9 fronts with what offset? How's it fit from the fender looking down, flush?
I'm getting some custom street wheels and want the 265 fronts for sure.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstclyz
So 19x9 fronts with what offset? How's it fit from the fender looking down, flush?
I'm getting some custom street wheels and want the 265 fronts for sure.
+50

It's pretty flush from top down. Maybe a few mm out.
Hard to get a perfect orthogonal pic, but you get the idea here:

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Leong. They won't even stock the RE71 in NZ in our sizes, they will be special order only. However Japanese rubber in NZ is always at least as competitive as US retail I've found over the years with my 993 (re11, SO2 etc). We just need to approach Bridgestone HO and order direct...
Old 07-15-2016, 03:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,861 Likes on 2,398 Posts

front et 50 is optimal
you need camber to fit 265
rear 10.5 at et 43-45 is fine
Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

Joe (or anyone who would like to answer), I tried the RE71R's on track yesterday and am now getting some pretty extreme oversteer. On the Dunlop's, the rear end had far more grip and wondering if 10 mm (285 vs 295) could really make that much difference. Visually, they do look significantly slimmer. I am running 2.25 camber front and 1.25 rear with full soft front and full hard rear bars. Perhaps I need to adjust the rear bar or maybe 1.25 is not enough camber in the rear for these tires? I tried 30-35 hot pressures with 30 being really loose and 35 better. Any ideas? I am now 1.5 seconds off pace and lacking confidence in the car as it feels very unstable. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5280
I tried the RE71R's on track yesterday and am now getting some pretty extreme oversteer.
I went right from stock Dunlops on 20s to RE71Rs on 19s. I have a very similar setup to you -2.1*F -1.6*R camber and same sway bar settings. I changed nothing but the wheels and tires and loved it instantly. Even my first 2 cold laps of the morning felt better.

Tire feedback from the RE71R instantly gave me MORE confidence along with what I perceived as slightly more grip (even though the rear tire and rim are slightly smaller) vs the Dunlops. They also lasted a full 30 min track session with consistent grip vs the Dunlops rear tires always going "off" (too much heat or pressure) after about 20 minutes.

I know this doesn't help you determine your issue, but I feel like you've got some other issue going on. Perhaps one of your sway bars came loose, or your toe setting fell out of spec?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:17 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 379 Posts

Joe (or anyone who would like to answer), I tried the RE71R's on track yesterday and am now getting some pretty extreme oversteer. On the Dunlop's, the rear end had far more grip and wondering if 10 mm (285 vs 295) could really make that much difference. Visually, they do look significantly slimmer. I am running 2.25 camber front and 1.25 rear with full soft front and full hard rear bars. Perhaps I need to adjust the rear bar or maybe 1.25 is not enough camber in the rear for these tires? I tried 30-35 hot pressures with 30 being really loose and 35 better. Any ideas? I am now 1.5 seconds off pace and lacking confidence in the car as it feels very unstable. Thanks in advance.
What size front tire are you running?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

+1, what are the front/rear size you're running. You can change the handling a lot with just a change in front->rear diameter ratio (changing rake). If the rear tire is shorter relative to the front, you've moved static weight to the rear, which will result in more understeer at certain parts of the corner.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on his other posts he's got the same 245/285 setup I have on the same OZ Leggera HLTs.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Based on his other posts he's got the same 245/285 setup I have on the same OZ Leggera HLTs.
Correct, and the front height is like 45 and rear is 40 I believe which they tell me keeps the same overall height size as the 20" stock tires. The only other item I changed was updating the DSC Sport to the most recent software released in June. Maybe I made a mistake loading that or maybe toe is indeed out of spec.

I had 6 or 7 major moments where the rear end snapped out mid-corner and I barely caught them. Prior to that I only had one or two on the Dunlops and those were my fault for sure. Tire wear looks good though.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default what tire sizes RE71R on 19"?

I am running OZ ultra legerra HLT 19x 8.5 and 10

i want to run the bridgestone RE71R
I spoke to tire rack yesterday and they say that 245 front and 285 rear works

there seems to be a 255 and 265 tire but they seem to drop the front diameter too much which might throw of the electronics...

I wonder if anyone has investigated further or has even tried it before I just take the easy out and order the 245/285 combo
Old 07-15-2016, 04:46 PM
jpgunn
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct, and the front height is like 45 and rear is 40 I believe which they tell me keeps the same overall height size as the 20" stock tires. The only other item I changed was updating the DSC Sport to the most recent software released in June. Maybe I made a mistake loading that or maybe toe is indeed out of spec.

I had 6 or 7 major moments where the rear end snapped out mid-corner and I barely caught them. Prior to that I only had one or two on the Dunlops and those were my fault for sure. Tire wear looks good though.

Thanks for the responses.
Eric -- I would definitely run the front sway bar in the middle and check your rear toe. Sounds like you might have some toe out in the back.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+1, what are the front/rear size you're running. You can change the handling a lot with just a change in front->rear diameter ratio (changing rake). If the rear tire is shorter relative to the front, you've moved static weight to the rear, which will result in more understeer at certain parts of the corner.
Changing the rake has virtually zero impact on the static weight distribution.

Any weight distribution shift from a rake change comes from physically moving the center of mass forward or backwards relative to the tire contact patches. Given the incredibly small angle change of the body with front or rear ride height changes relative to the wheel base, and because the height of the center of mass is relatively low to the ground, the effective shift is next to nothing.

For a quick and dirty over-simplified assessment, you can treat the car like a heavy rod sitting on two points at the front and rear contact patches and calculate the angle change of the vehicle due to, say, increasing the rear height of the GT4 by 1":

GT4 wheel base: 97.8"
approximate angle change: 1" / 97.8" = 0.01022 radians = 0.59 degrees

The stock GT4 has a 56% rear weight distribution, so the center of mass is 56% of the wheel base towards the rear of the car. You can calculate the change in that weight distribution due to a 0.59 degree angle change:

new distribution: 56% * cosine(0.59 degrees) = 56% * 0.999947 = 55.9971%, or a -0.0029% change

So for a 2955 pound GT4, by lifting the rear up an entire 1", you've very roughly moved 0.0029%, or 1.4 ounces of weight front the rear to the front.

But this is just a rough back-of-the envelope, and is actually a pessimistic assumption since it assumes the center of mass is on the ground directly between the tire contact patches before the rear point is raised.

If you crunch the detailed math for a more realistic car geometry by taking into account that the center of mass is roughly 16" off the ground (this was the number for the Cayman R, I'm roughly assuming it's similar for the GT3), and that the body pivot point in the rear suspension attachment is roughly 25" off the ground, then you'll actually get an answer that is almost 10 times that at -0.037%.

But even that is still just a 1.1 pound shift front rear to front. Anybody think they can feel that handling difference?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

Any weight distribution shift from a rake change comes from physically moving the center of mass forward or backwards relative to the tire contact patches. Given the incredibly small angle change of the body with front or rear ride height changes relative to the wheel base, and because the height of the center of mass is relatively low to the ground, the effective shift is next to nothing.

For a quick and dirty over-simplified assessment, you can treat the car like a heavy rod sitting on two points at the front and rear contact patches and calculate the angle change of the vehicle due to, say, increasing the rear height of the GT4 by 1":

The stock GT4 has a 56% rear weight distribution, so the center of mass is 56% of the wheel base towards the rear of the car. You can calculate the change in that weight distribution due to a 0.59 degree angle change:

new distribution: 56% * cosine(0.59 degrees) = 56% * 0.999947 = 55.9971%, or a -0.0029% change

So for a 2955 pound GT4, by lifting the rear up an entire 1", you've very roughly moved 0.0029%, or 1.4 ounces of weight front the rear to the front.

But this is just a rough back-of-the envelope, and is actually a pessimistic assumption since it assumes the center of mass is on the ground directly between the tire contact patches before the rear point is raised.

If you crunch the detailed math for a more realistic car geometry by taking into account that the center of mass is roughly 16" off the ground (this was the number for the Cayman R, I'm roughly assuming it's similar for the GT3), and that the body pivot point in the rear suspension attachment is roughly 25" off the ground, then you'll actually get an answer that is almost 10 times that at -0.037%.

But even that is still just a 1.1 pound shift front rear to front. Anybody think they can feel that handling difference?
Now that was a post!!!
Thanks.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

Damn. A real post from someone other than OJ.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings