Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5280
No worries, thanks for the reply and that is the best reason!

Yeah, great community on here. Nothing other than it has been a while since I have driven the GT4 due to a lot of E36 driving in TT lately. Admittedly, the driver software (me) is probably out of date as the two drive night and day. I have an email in to DSC, maybe I messed it up.

Last time out, Dunlops were completely toast on the front and some life left in rear. Maybe this played a part in the feel, but even on bad fronts, the car felt great by comparison. I kind of want to give the Tarett GT4 spring upgrade package a try next to reduce body roll, but maybe I need links first to correct camber.

Any reason for not going full soft on front to help understeer? I am thinking I will adjust my rear bar to middle first and then load on the previous DSC file at the track if the bar is not enough. I'm open to any bar config suggestions, though.

Thanks again to all for the help.
I would get a proper track alignment first, but only if you are getting outer edge wear.

When the front Dunlop tires on my gt3 were toast, the car understeered like mad. Really bad.

Full soft front will add more oversteer. Front stiff bar is to dial out corner exit oversteer. You want stiff front to dial in understeer.

I would leave the bars alone and reprogram the DSC alone first. Otherwise you'll never know what the problem was. The bars only offer subtle changes, not drastic, imo
Old 07-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I would get a proper track alignment first, but only if you are getting outer edge wear.

When the front Dunlop tires on my gt3 were toast, the car understeered like mad. Really bad.

Full soft front will add more oversteer. Front stiff bar is to dial out corner exit oversteer. You want stiff front to dial in understeer.

I would leave the bars alone and reprogram the DSC alone first. Otherwise you'll never know what the problem was. The bars only offer subtle changes, not drastic, imo
Too soon to tell on outer edge wear. I got a pro alignment and corner balance but with stock parts. RE71 wear looks fine after one day.

I currently have full soft front and hard rear. Was asking why you weren't running soft on front if you are getting understeer.

My only concern is that I can easily reprogram DSC at the track, but it is harder to change the bars there. Headed back out on Friday next week.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

I was playing around with the DSC software and in the settings tab it has where to write the file to. Default seems to be chassis normal. If I am understanding this correctly, I may have written the latest file to normal. I ran in sport on track, which who knows what config is on that mode. My first instinct was DSC was no longer working and the car felt stock (or worse) again. Hoping that is what was going on and I will confirm with DSC.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

No worries, thanks for the reply and that is the best reason!

Yeah, great community on here. Nothing other than it has been a while since I have driven the GT4 due to a lot of E36 driving in TT lately. Admittedly, the driver software (me) is probably out of date as the two drive night and day. I have an email in to DSC, maybe I messed it up.

Last time out, Dunlops were completely toast on the front and some life left in rear. Maybe this played a part in the feel, but even on bad fronts, the car felt great by comparison. I kind of want to give the Tarett GT4 spring upgrade package a try next to reduce body roll, but maybe I need links first to correct camber.

Any reason for not going full soft on front to help understeer? I am thinking I will adjust my rear bar to middle first and then load on the previous DSC file at the track if the bar is not enough. I'm open to any bar config suggestions, though.

Thanks again to all for the help.
Funny you should say that. After this weekend I plan to bump my camber up to -3.2F and -2.7 rear and switch the front sway bar from middle to soft. Outer edges are still getting beat up even after 1 track day. I'm to the point where I think the understeer is slowing me down.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Funny you should say that. After this weekend I plan to bump my camber up to -3.2F and -2.7 rear and switch the front sway bar from middle to soft. Outer edges are still getting beat up even after 1 track day. I'm to the point where I think the understeer is slowing me down.
This being my first Porsche and first mid engine car, I am unsure how much initial understeer is normal. The front end feels light and you have to slow it down for turn in or rotate on the brakes. I guess I have a hard time imagining the car turning in easily, but am curious to hear your results. If a lot of camber is needed, I will make the investment.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

This being my first Porsche and first mid engine car, I am unsure how much initial understeer is normal. The front end feels light and you have to slow it down for turn in or rotate on the brakes. I guess I have a hard time imagining the car turning in easily, but am curious to hear your results. If a lot of camber is needed, I will make the investment.
Turn in on this car should be one of the best out there. I drove a 997c4s yesterday and the turn in was horrible compared to the the GT4. Trail braking will help. I discovered yesterday that shifting into 2 if you can helps as well. I don't know why. Mattheboatman is on to something
Old 07-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Turn in on this car should be one of the best out there. I drove a 997c4s yesterday and the turn in was horrible compared to the the GT4. Trail braking will help. I discovered yesterday that shifting into 2 if you can helps as well. I don't know why. Mattheboatman is on to something
My turn in is not the best, but once the car sets, it usually has awesome traction. My buddy has a 997 C4S that I drove on track the other day....at least it looks nice. I actually really like the 997 C2S.

Nice on 2nd gear, did your times get better or just easier to drive? When I try to force 2nd gear over 3rd in a couple areas, I find myself over-slowing for the corner. Could be for fear of money-shift though.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

My turn in is not the best, but once the car sets, it usually has awesome traction. My buddy has a 997 C4S that I drove on track the other day....at least it looks nice. I actually really like the 997 C2S.

Nice on 2nd gear, did your times get better or just easier to drive? When I try to force 2nd gear over 3rd in a couple areas, I find myself over-slowing for the corner. Could be for fear of money-shift though.
According to data, time was no better, but it was easier to drive and more fun
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

According to data, time was no better, but it was easier to drive and more fun
Sounds like a win to me. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looks nice C4S eh...

I've got the aforementioned C4S couch.

It seems DSC is quite present when defending and describing their products, however lacking are simple instructions for downloading their latest software update to your module in easy to follow steps.

I'm a fan and talk w Tom relatively often, but they need to get the basics down in supporting this product.

My guess is if you get Tom on the phone with the module plugged into your computer he can talk u through it quickly?

Skype screen share as part of their support model maybe?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

I was playing around with the DSC software and in the settings tab it has where to write the file to. Default seems to be chassis normal. If I am understanding this correctly, I may have written the latest file to normal. I ran in sport on track, which who knows what config is on that mode. My first instinct was DSC was no longer working and the car felt stock (or worse) again. Hoping that is what was going on and I will confirm with DSC.
If you are writing a PDTS file from your PC to the DSC module, the "Write All" function in Tools will write the entire file(Normal mode, Sport mode, and Driveline).

The "Settings" tab is for editing one mode only or for writing one mode to another(for example, if you want the Normal mode to be edited and then become Sport mode or vice versa).

Sorry I was occupied all weekend and wasn't able to tend to forums. I have helped diagnosed handling issues remotely, its not easy without being there in person since there are many variables, but I will do my best to help. If its DSC related you can install your original file or I can email you another file to try, or by process of elimination put the stock PASM module back in. In my experience from remote diagnosis of extreme over steer, a few cases turned out to be front sway bar nut came loose which pretty much makes the front inoperative. Not saying this is the case here but it worth checking. As others have mentioned, the rear camber of -1.25 deg is low relative to the front. Depending on what the rear toe is if paired with softer DSC mapping could create an unwanted toe steer situation. Another item to consider just to be thorough, with some new tires they don't have good grip immediately. One example, couple years ago I had a fresh set of Bridgestone Re11's put on my 997S. Drove straight to the track. It was a Hot Summer 3-day event. The surface temp was blistering and lots of traffic. The first 1.5 day the car felt terrible on exit even with bar adjustment. Then grip started to come in and on the last day the rear grip fully kicked in. Anyway, I am back at the shop and glad to provide DSC or other support. Please feel free to call me for immediate response. Tel: 410-799-7223.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
If you are writing a PDTS file from your PC to the DSC module, the "Write All" function in Tools will write the entire file(Normal mode, Sport mode, and Driveline).

The "Settings" tab is for editing one mode only or for writing one mode to another(for example, if you want the Normal mode to be edited and then become Sport mode or vice versa).

Sorry I was occupied all weekend and wasn't able to tend to forums. I have helped diagnosed handling issues remotely, its not easy without being there in person since there are many variables, but I will do my best to help. If its DSC related you can install your original file or I can email you another file to try, or by process of elimination put the stock PASM module back in. In my experience from remote diagnosis of extreme over steer, a few cases turned out to be front sway bar nut came loose which pretty much makes the front inoperative. Not saying this is the case here but it worth checking. As others have mentioned, the rear camber of -1.25 deg is low relative to the front. Depending on what the rear toe is if paired with softer DSC mapping could create an unwanted toe steer situation. Another item to consider just to be thorough, with some new tires they don't have good grip immediately. One example, couple years ago I had a fresh set of Bridgestone Re11's put on my 997S. Drove straight to the track. It was a Hot Summer 3-day event. The surface temp was blistering and lots of traffic. The first 1.5 day the car felt terrible on exit even with bar adjustment. Then grip started to come in and on the last day the rear grip fully kicked in. Anyway, I am back at the shop and glad to provide DSC or other support. Please feel free to call me for immediate response. Tel: 410-799-7223.
Tom, I will call you today. Thank you for the response.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by ljahearn
My guess is if you get Tom on the phone with the module plugged into your computer he can talk u through it quickly?
Absolutely! Its one of the three jobs that I do.
My associate Jordan is also well-versed on DSC software. Some times we get hundred of inquires which we respond in the order. Often the quickest way to get your question(s) answered is with phone call during business hours. 410-799-7223 or 410-799-7798
Old 07-18-2016, 02:20 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Friend had this done - makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:43 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Just saw this Joe. As you know I love second gear in the GT4 because the car is otherwise too composed. 2nd gear is the best way to get it unsettled, and help to rotate it in slower turns.

In my sleep I have dreams of rotating the GT4. "On the throttle, raise the nose. Off the throttle, drop the nose, rotate hard, back on the throttle, unwind". This keeps going over and over in head. I've gone 2nd gear crazy!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings