Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:28 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Damn thats hot

Late post and Im going to make this short. Ran last week at TH. It was miserably hot, 101 F ambient temp. Best I could manage was a 2:05:40. Im going to blame it on the heat and the fact that my PSC2's have about 20 heat cycles on them. But really it was probably just me driving poorly. I noticed that in sport mode, with that heat, my oil temp was over 235 and water temps were over 250. Seem pretty warm for the car in sport mode but I ran it anyways.

Had a front suspension noise that I heard but ignored. I was dumb, I thought I was hearing things but now, the drivers side lower control arm bolt through the subframe was backing out. Actually, the nut had completely come off. Symptoms exhibited as metal on metal rattle when going over sharp transitions or bumps, or lane markers. Also caused the car to hop and skip when the front suspension was compressed under downhill braking. I got lucky that it didn't completely come out. Yes my shop did work my front suspension, but they wouldn't have needed to work on this bolt to do the work that was performed. Could it be related to work done, maybe. Could it be something that just happened, maybe. My biggest concern at this point is that the bolt hole tolerance is slightly off, causing that bolt to rattle microscopically and get loose. If this is the case, I will have a chronic problem. Thought for RL'ers...do full nut/bolt checks every couple of track days. You never know whats going to loosen up.

Got all my data working and am happy with the AIM setup, except for one thing. The audio is garbage with the wind. Wont bore you with too many details, see the thread below for more, but this mic placement doesn't work

WWWWWWWIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDD

Heres the A/B test with a bit of my faster laps

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13300986

So kinda frustrating outing. But thats how it goes sometimes...

Looking forward to Joes day next week. And I have a secret...theres new PSC2's at the tire shop at TH with my name on it. Im going to run a session or two on my spent PSC2s and then swap to new tires. Ill post the comparison data so we can have a same day/same driver/same track comparison of heat cycled tires vs. new tires. I think the data will show some interesting things. Lets hope its not 105 F next Friday.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:36 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Had a front suspension noise that I heard but ignored. I was dumb, I thought I was hearing things but now, the drivers side lower control arm bolt through the subframe was backing out. Actually, the nut had completely come off. Symptoms exhibited as metal on metal rattle when going over sharp transitions or bumps, or lane markers. Also caused the car to hop and skip when the front suspension was compressed under downhill braking. I got lucky that it didn't completely come out. Yes my shop did work my front suspension, but they wouldn't have needed to work on this bolt to do the work that was performed. Could it be related to work done, maybe. Could it be something that just happened, maybe. My biggest concern at this point is that the bolt hole tolerance is slightly off, causing that bolt to rattle microscopically and get loose. If this is the case, I will have a chronic problem. Thought for RL'ers...do full nut/bolt checks every couple of track days. You never know whats going to loosen up.
Ack, sorry to hear that. Typically bolts are held in place and kept from rotating or backing out through friction at the bolt face resulting from the bolt torque preload, so I wouldn't worry too much about a "chronic problem" just yet. I'd torque it back down and put a little thread-locker on it if you'd like.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Ack! My car happens to be in for an alignment now, so I'm having them go through everything and check, then mark.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Late post and Im going to make this short. Ran last week at TH. It was miserably hot, 101 F ambient temp. Best I could manage was a 2:05:40. Im going to blame it on the heat and the fact that my PSC2's have about 20 heat cycles on them. But really it was probably just me driving poorly. I noticed that in sport mode, with that heat, my oil temp was over 235 and water temps were over 250. Seem pretty warm for the car in sport mode but I ran it anyways.

Got all my data working and am happy with the AIM setup, except for one thing. The audio is garbage with the wind. Wont bore you with too many details, see the thread below for more, but this mic placement doesn't work

WWWWWWWIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDD

Heres the A/B test with a bit of my faster laps

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13300986

So kinda frustrating outing. But thats how it goes sometimes...

Looking forward to Joes day next week. And I have a secret...theres new PSC2's at the tire shop at TH with my name on it. Im going to run a session or two on my spent PSC2s and then swap to new tires. Ill post the comparison data so we can have a same day/same driver/same track comparison of heat cycled tires vs. new tires. I think the data will show some interesting things. Lets hope its not 105 F next Friday.
Cup2 don't start to heat cycle out until after 25 cycles, and are a gradual loss rather than huge loss. Hot temps are more likely slowing you down. Friggin forecast for next Friday keeps rising. I'll live with below 100, but if it's 116 like last year, I'm gonna be really pissed. Track will go hot at 8:30am, so get there early if you want to try to set some times while it's still cool.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Cup2 don't start to heat cycle out until after 25 cycles, and are a gradual loss rather than huge loss. Hot temps are more likely slowing you down. Friggin forecast for next Friday keeps rising. I'll live with below 100, but if it's 116 like last year, I'm gonna be really pissed. Track will go hot at 8:30am, so get there early if you want to try to set some times while it's still cool.
I learned my lesson at a 112F Thill Joe day.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
katmeho
Pro

#letitsnow
Old 05-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

#letitsnow
NOT funny! Driving to Lime Rock Park on May 16th it was snowing around 7am...turned into a beautiful day in the 60s, but seriously NOT FUNNY!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:28 PM
katmeho
Pro

OrthoJoe brought out the pain today. It was a great day and was wonderful to run with so many Porsches.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:54 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Whew! Hope you guys stayed hydrated. Next time I need to get on the joe special list too.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,342 Posts

kat which cayman gt4 were u
Old 06-04-2016, 12:25 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
kat which cayman gt4 were u
Silver GT4 sandwiched between blue GT3 and white Cayman GTS
Old 06-04-2016, 12:31 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

blk historic license plate ?
I think
I sat next to u at lunch and we were on fwy back around same time
I have blue wheels
Old 06-04-2016, 12:33 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
blk historic license plate ?
I think
I sat next to u at lunch and we were on fwy back around same time
I have blue wheels
Yup. It was great to chat and meet you.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:34 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. It was great to chat and meet you.
Damn you guys were all there... I want to go so bad but alas... wedding anniversary...
At least I get to pick up the yellow beast tomorrow!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:01 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ LOL. earned plenty brownie points i hope

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal