Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I haven't tried and just out my 3 point seat belt over the harness.
Are we sure we can't just turn it off with PIWIS?

I have buckles to click into the female part but been forgetting to take them with me.
The error code we get is the thorax bags low impedance. I don't think you can zero out the fault. We reset all codes and they never cleared. Piwis said "cannot remove faults"
Old 04-03-2016, 10:05 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

It was great seeing you in person Friday after 20+ years sorry I didn't make it out to the other track. I was entertaining my dad since he decided to come by. The good news that even though my laps were slow he still had fun. Mission accomplished.

I'm likely going to hit HOD on 5/5 and 5/6. At least probably 5/5.

The bar / harness / seat setup looks great congrats on that.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:18 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks. A Friend with a 991 gt3 showed me the airbag light in his sparco equipped car and it doesn't seem bothersome. At least during the day.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:38 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the updates. Its a shame that your rear brake duct split. It'll be a "check" item if I plan on tracking the car regularly. The seats and harnesses look race ready. Looking forward to seeing some track action videos of you and others.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by bk_911
It was great seeing you in person Friday after 20+ years sorry I didn't make it out to the other track. I was entertaining my dad since he decided to come by. The good news that even though my laps were slow he still had fun. Mission accomplished.

I'm likely going to hit HOD on 5/5 and 5/6. At least probably 5/5.

The bar / harness / seat setup looks great congrats on that.
Was really great to see you. Cant wait to get out again and drive together...
Old 04-03-2016, 11:57 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by vantage
2) By chance would you have part # of what to order re the 997.2 GT2 seat belt receptacle?
try this
997 803 183 11
Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 AM
katmeho
Pro

Here is Thunderhill West Clockwise (reversed)

Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 AM
katmeho
Pro

Another video from this weekend. Thunder hill 5 mile no hairpins. Camber F -2.9', R -2.1'. Endless ME20s.

3:15:80

The problem with the Aim setup was my fault. I didn't get the CAN wiring done in time and the Solo DL was setup for the CAN maps. I used OBD2 to run the GPS data and ensure that the Smartycam HD was running and working...but the only thing I really got from this was GPS time and the video. I will have everything dialed in with those systems next time.

There more out there to be gained than what I am sharing here...and the other RListers were certainly putting in great times. Was really awesome to be out there with so many other Porsches. As always, feedback appreciated.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Looking good, man. Need throttle and brake position to analyze more
Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM
katmeho
Pro

orthojoe was nice enough to do an overlay comparison of our bests. The lap here is the same as my video post #203. Im over braking...its awesome to see the differences in our laps. Thanks Joe!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Interesting data. In many corners orthojoe has a higher min speed and this gets reflected in higher speed at the end of the straights. Study your data and try to increase min speed just 1 mile per hour. I noticed a lot of steering correction approaching the corner. Try to smooth corner entry steering inputs.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,861 Likes on 2,398 Posts

need rpm gauge. i cannot tell how high your rpm is, but it appears you are not holding high enough rpm (i could be wrong), tey to shift less and run the rpm ALL THE WAY INTO redline.

ur car is holding the line in turns. so dont correct the steering. you were not missing apex. just let the car go (easy said then done. i do the same haha)
Old 04-16-2016, 01:04 PM
katmeho
Pro

Couple of quick updates.
  • I picked up a metal on metal thunk sound from the rear when going over transitions, cracks and bumps at low speeds. The sounds didn't happen when the rear was under load or at speed. It was suspected that it was the rear sway bar, which was adjusted at COTA. Others here on RL have heard this and experienced the same issue. Sure enough, the end link connectors were loose. If you change your sway bar settings, then you should go back and tighten them up after a couple of runs. It took 5 full sessions and about 150 miles of street driving before the issue exposed itself.
  • The airbag light is not easy to code out. The resistors that were tried (a many number of them) don't seem to work. All attempts to get it ironed out failed. Porsche Motorsports says that its possible to code out the error with a PIWIS, they do actually do this in the Clubsports before shipping to customers. But in order to do it on a car that actually had seats with thorax airbags, you need the original seats in the car to "code out" the actual seat sensor, before you pull the seats out and replace them. I of course, have my seats in storage now about 60 miles away from the PIWIS and getting them back to do this is going to be a pain...so Im going to live with the seatbelt light and just learn to ignore it.
  • Aim CAN harness is in. Happy to have real data now. Looking forward to analyzing my lack of skill!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:05 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
orthojoe was nice enough to do an overlay comparison of our bests. The lap here is the same as my video post #203. Im over braking...its awesome to see the differences in our laps. Thanks Joe
Neat overlap. OJ trailbrakes more too. You can tell from the flatter taper at the end of some braking zones. Its apparent in the turns which he carries more entry speed.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Use every centimeter of the track. You left a good car width off to the left at turn-in as you came down the steep hill to merge back onto the east loop.

Why are you moving your hands so much? I agree with Mooty that you don't need to at the speed your going (to be fair, it always seems slow when you watch the video - I know it feels crazy fast in the car in the moment).

Remember: fast corner = slow hands; slow corner = fast hands. But always be deliberate and fluid, never jerky.

Pretty impressive speeds though on the straights, assuming that the overlay information is accurate. Kudos!

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal