Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:27 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for coming out despite the heat. Hope you guys can do the next event as well!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,634 Likes on 2,317 Posts

^ dude make sure you call someone to block the sun and no rain. 70 deg would be just peechee!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:08 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Laguna - June 11 2016

Got out Saturday at Laguna and had a great day running with Mooty and some quick SoCal TT guy. This was my first GGR event and they run a nice event, although it's not a ton of on track time. Private days spoil you for seat time.

Ran a PB 1:41:80 and think I can get into the 1:40's if I focus. The whole lifting for sound bothers me but looking at the recent posting for the HAL 9000 solution leads me to think the lifts will soon go away. I think I'm loosing .25 seconds so really I just need to put a proper lap together. Theoretical best was a low 1:39 so it's there. And Joes easily putting it all together. ��

The placement of the SmartyCam external mic into the car seat anchor latch behind the passenger seats works well and gives me sound that is good enough for my liking. I posted a video of me making a mistake in T2 trying to catch Mooty to illustrate the audio setup.

I had new PSC2s for the event and I had been targeting 32/33 psi hot for sessions. I'm starting to thing that they might have a touch more grip at 34/35 hot. My first session had them around 35 (but the track was cooler) and I was left with the impression of more control. I could have just been driving smoother but now I want to try out a tiny higher psi. Anyone got any thoughts on that?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:16 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
I had new PSC2s for the event and I had been targeting 32/33 psi hot for sessions. I'm starting to thing that they might have a touch more grip at 34/35 hot.
I have concluded the same and my temp readings I have done, although not extensive, have showed the same. I have settled on 34/34.5 for now and it feels good. I have never felt that 32 feels better. Going a bit higher will also be a bit better for the outer edge wear on the cup 2's.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:31 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 334 Posts

Matt that is a great time given you were lifting! Can you post some video of you going thru 5 to 6? I'm going there weds and still don't have a solution. I've only driven LS once so far in the GT4 and I'm pretty sure I'm going thru there slower then I need to (especially if you're only losing .25.)

thanks Rich
Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by RDCR
Matt that is a great time given you were lifting! Can you post some video of you going thru 5 to 6? I'm going there weds and still don't have a solution. I've only driven LS once so far in the GT4 and I'm pretty sure I'm going thru there slower then I need to (especially if you're only losing .25.)

thanks Rich
I'll pull my PB from the camera tonight. I'm losing time in T2 and into and out of T11. The lifts not hurting me too much. But inconsistency is. I also seem to be really unsure of breaking into the cork screw. Sometime it's a double tap once over the crest and sometimes it's all brake before the plateau etc. need to figure that out. I expect Joes video would show us the way!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry I missed running on Saturday with you guys. Would have been really fun. There was plenty of open space Sunday, but traffic on the way home was killer. See you Friday!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Excellent wide angle video and great audio, Katman! Thank for sharing.

I will look into doing the same. What mount did you use to secure to the seat's backrest?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Excellent wide angle video and great audio, Katman! Thank for sharing.

I will look into doing the same. What mount did you use to secure to the seat's backrest?
SmartyCam is mounted to the cross brace of the GMG bar via Ram mount ball joint. Mic cable just fished into the child seat slot.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:27 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

SmartyCam is mounted to the cross brace of the GMG bar via Ram mount ball joint. Mic cable just fished into the child seat slot.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 AM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty decent. I like having a permanent mic in the car that you just need to plug into the camera on track days. I'm looking into replicating what you did or routing the mic near the exhaust and attach to the inside of the rear bumper. The later will probably sound better. But I'm worried about the mic failing over time due to the harsh environment (heat, water, dust)

What mic did you use? Is it a generic mic with 3.5mm cable or some special SmartyCam mic?
Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 AM
katmeho
Pro

It's the AIM Can cable with integrated external mic. Part is available from the Aim SmartyCam page under accessories. Part number on the title slide of the video. Easy to get from any Aim reseller.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:27 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by RDCR

thanks Rich
Heres the lap with the lift. Watching it again, theres still a lot more in the lap for me to capitalize on.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:43 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 334 Posts

Drove LS yesterday with HOD - 90db day. Blew sound twice running out of 5. Any throttle in 3rd didn't cut it. I had to stay in 4th and keep it under 5500 RPM. Hoping the GPS controller will be good for 90 db days as well.

I still managed a PB for me of 1:44 which was 4 seconds better then I had done in the Cayman R so I'm ecstatic with the car.

One difference I noticed after watching your video and Joe's was how we are driving turn 3. Joe is going back to second where it appears you are staying in 3rd which is how I was driving it as well. It does feel to me like 3rd is a little tall to get a good track out of 3 (at least at my exit speed) but getting to 3rd and then right back to second in the 2-3 straight seemed like a hassle the one time I tried it. I think I will work on doing that next visit there.

I went with staying in 3rd thru the corkscrew after watching you guys - much better!

Rich
Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 AM
katmeho
Pro

Hotel, motel, Holiday Iiiiiiiinnnnnnn....

Go Mooty track day Go!

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal