Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 10:32 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by katmeho
Thanks. Something to note, that data is streamed in real time from the car. Its possible to watch laps for RCP2 drivers as they turn them!!

I agree with the turn in suggestion, thanks.

Are you using the Solo DL in your GT4? Via CAN connection?
I do not have my GT4 yet, but when I do get it I will go the CAN connection route. My understanding is that M-Power has a plug-n-play harness that requires no cutting to tap into the CAN BUS line for the AiM Solo DL.

For reference I have this setup on my E46 M3, which plugs directly into the ECU. Its a very clean and easy install.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
I do not have my GT4 yet, but when I do get it I will go the CAN connection route. My understanding is that M-Power has a plug-n-play harness that requires no cutting to tap into the CAN BUS line for the AiM Solo DL.

For reference I have this setup on my E46 M3, which plugs directly into the ECU. Its a very clean and easy install.
I sent this to M-world:

"I’m interested in this for my GT4. Where does it connect to the CAN bus? There is no custom wiring required?"

From Richard at M-world:

"To the Gateway module near the clutch pedal. Kit comes with all wiring needed.

Thanks,
Richard"

I haven't looked at my car to determine where this module is but it sounds like it is true plug & play.

Rich
Old 03-05-2016, 10:57 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 334 Posts

Very noticeable tail wag under heavy breaking in T1 as indicated by others, but ZERO tail wag under heavy trail braking in T10. I thought this was odd, expected to feel the wag in both.

Cant figure out gears on this track. 2nd into the double apex T2, 3rd in T3, 4th through 5 and up the hill due to Trent Reznor in the sound booth, then 3rd in 6 and, heres the question, 3rd all the way up the hill, through the corkscrew, down all the way to T11???? I was holding that in an effort to take the instability out of the car when shifting and it yielded a very smooth ride and very consistent times....but it felt "lazy", like I should be doing more. Wonder what you guys think..
Good stuff! Rico at BR will be doing my car next week and it sounds like Bruce has gotten a lot of insight from setting up your car which will come into play with mine. Since I'm going from a PDK car to a MT for the first time on track I've been thinking a lot about shift points and what gear I'll want to be in at various points at LS. My PB in the CR at LS is 1:47 so the thought of staying in 3rd from 3 thru 10 (subject to sound at 5) sounds all right to me!

I had thought that going down to 2nd would be required thru the corkscrew so it's good to know carrying momentum in 3rd thru there is a good potential solution for someone at my level in this car.

Keep the reports coming they are great!

Rich
Old 03-05-2016, 02:41 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Cant figure out gears on this track. 2nd into the double apex T2, 3rd in T3, 4th through 5 and up the hill due to Trent Reznor in the sound booth...
As a NIN fan I would expect Trent Reznor to meatball you if your exhaust was too quiet. I'm surprised by this. Maybe fatherhood and marriage made him soft.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:39 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default COTA - Mar 12/13 2016

Well, COTA, I miss you already...

I was very lucky to get my car out to Austin to join the Edge Addicts group during the Pirelli GT3 Drivers Cup races this last weekend. BR Racing does all of the work on my car, and they had 4 cars going out to run the races. My car and a 997 GT3 Cup car got in on the transporter and played in the DE event.

What an amazing circuit. Fast and fluid, technical and pristine. Not sure how else to put it except its damn near perfect. I was honestly worried after my first session...where was I? Why cant I remember the flow? Wait, that turn does what? It's a pretty fantastic experience to be so lost and then to slowly grow into a little bit of confidence each session. Got to do partial track walks on both days and that really (as always) made a difference and got some excellent truths about the circuit from some knowledgeable drivers. Also was able to meet a few RL GT4 owners in person and on track.

Not seen more than on GT4 Clubsport in person?

First session of the first day I think I ran a 2:49:5. I managed a 2:33:00 mid day on Sunday before it got hot and I switched to HLT for video (which looks like garbage BTW). Never got back to that time and had a ton more slipping around with little grip in the tires.

Abandoned the last session on Sunday due to a tire bubble and cord showing. Was time to pack up anyways and I was exhausted. I think I pushed these tires 3 sessions further than I should have. I felt that I was chasing the times most of Sunday and early on Sunday was only OK due to a favorable track temp. The tire wear shows that I need way more negative camber...we swapped sides of the tires to extend them a little for the weekend...I will be going to -3.0 front -2.5 rear mid week.

I cracked 140 mph. That was a first for me. I must say, at that speed, the GT4 was planted and confidence inspiring.

Front pads down to 15%, rears are fine. Endless ME20's are going on the car mid week.

I felt a tremendous amount of push in the car at this track and mid day on Saturday we put the rear bar to its firmest setting. I immediately noticed the change, the car began to rotate more progressively and dropped much of the push that I was feeling. There was still enough push to be concerning, and theres more tweaking to be done with the car to dial it fully out...but the bar adjustment was impactful and worthy of doing.

Most of my session data can be found here

Big thanks to Bruce, Rob and the BR Racing team for spoiling me with race driver fantasies. Congratulations to Rob, Jesse and Kevin for their big wins and for sitting strong in the points going into Thermal.

Early morning GT4 Clubsport.

Lurking where I probably don't belong
Old 03-14-2016, 07:47 PM
katmeho
Pro

Default Couple more COTA photos

Feet on the ground makes a huge difference.

Lucky to be here.

End of day. End of tires.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 759 Posts

Nice posts

Need to get my *** over to COTA, but your write up took me there for a bit :-)
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

That was an epic video of race start - WOW!! Good to meet you - wish I had the time to work my way over to your garage earlier on Saturday. You don't need me to tell you... I think 2:33 on cup2s is damn good, and the fact that it was you first time there....holey cow.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
You don't need me to tell you... I think 2:33 on cup2s is damn good, and the fact that it was you first time there....holey cow.
+1. Best I have done in the GT4 with a stock alignment on cup2s is a 2:34, and I have driven COTA many many times. Nicely done!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:21 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Awesome post Katmeho!

I can hardly wait watch the GT4 Clubsports in NOLA. Looks like 3 street GT4s will be running in the DE - should be a cool experience.

Thinking I will do the same as you - start with the rear sway bar in the middle and go to full stiff on the second day to see if I can eek out a second or two.

Very cool stuff, thanks for the post.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

Is your front bar in the middle?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
I'm running middle F, Full rear.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:48 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang all these wonderful track photos with a great looking car is really making me want for the season to hurry up and start. Great photos of the track and I enjoyed the twitter video.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by electron mike
+1. Best I have done in the GT4 with a stock alignment on cup2s is a 2:34, and I have driven COTA many many times. Nicely done!
Thanks. I was pretty happy with the results for my adventure. I really want to go back.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think 2:33 on cup2s is damn good, and the fact that it was you first time there....holey cow.
Thanks. I wish we had some more time to run together, I could have learned a lot from your lines and experience at COTA.

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Yes, front bar is default set in the middle, only changed the rear. Again, I was able to tell the difference on my out lap after the change. Perhaps that was part COTA? Regardless, its worth trying on your next track outing. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you have to pay BR for the weekend? Or did you earn that by spending money there?

I need to go kiss Bruce's *** a bit ;-)

Also what's up with the seats, bar and harnesses?

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal