Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:55 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
How many total track days on the tires so far?
2 partial days. I was coaching mostly on these days and only got a few real sessions in.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:21 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is awesome. Thanks for the breakdown. I'm sure we'll meet at some point, I have buddies that run with HOD in NorCal.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:34 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
2 partial days. I was coaching mostly on these days and only got a few real sessions in.
Wow so half tires gone for every track day?
Old 12-06-2015, 01:54 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by bk_911
Wow so half tires gone for every track day?
Its a guess at this point, but maybe...everyones different, tracks are different, days are different. I also have 2500 miles of street wear on the car.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:40 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

So how was the understeer with the current set up?

Balanced? Mid corner understeer?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:05 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by STALKER99
So how was the understeer with the current set up?

Balanced? Mid corner understeer?
To me, super balanced. Nothing really to be worried about, a tad of under steer coming out of T5. I really felt that the car was hooked up and have little to complain about. Although I want a couple more days of testing to see. I'll be softening the front bar perhaps to judge if there is any impact but as in bouncing between tracks each day I go out its hard to really say. What I need is a private day with unlimited time and a test plan to run through all the possible config Options with aero, bars and tire pressures to see I like most.

But if you can get -2.5 front and -2.0 rear I think most will be happy to use that as a starting point for tinkering.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

But if you can get -2.5 front and -2.0 rear I think most will be happy to use that as a starting point for tinkering.
Any issues on the street with these settings? Tramlining, unusual tire wear?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:44 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Any issues on the street with these settings? Tramlining, unusual tire wear?
Wear will be an issue but it isn't yet. Running higher pressures to fight it a little. No control issues at all.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:08 PM
katmeho
Pro

Interesting update on the data logging madness.

Both Peter Krause and one other tester have been able to confirm with hands on product testing that the AIM Solo DL / Smartycam solution will NOT capture brake pressure details from the Siemens ECU that is in the 981 and Boxster Spyder.

991's, 991 GT3/GT3RS were confirmed to work with hands on testing.

So for those of us who are looking to leverage data as mechanism for improvement, we don't have a turnkey solution at all and unless AIM pulls a rabbit out of its hat because it has people invested in development already, I doubt we will see one in the near future.

Last edited by katmeho; 12-22-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Tagged GT4 in with 991 testing, not the case.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So does that mean that other systems (VBox, RaceKeeper, etc.) would also be unable to capture that information? In other words, the data is simply not in the stream?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:48 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both Peter Krause and one other tester have been able to confirm with hands on product testing that the AIM Solo DL / Smartycam solution will NOT capture brake pressure details from the Siemens ECU that is in the GT4 and Boxster Spyder.
I've posted this elsewhere, but might as well do it here too. I borrowed an AIM Solo from a friend at my last track session (he drives an R8 GT Plus) and it seems to log brake pressure just fine:

Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by MSWNCity
So does that mean that other systems (VBox, RaceKeeper, etc.) would also be unable to capture that information? In other words, the data is simply not in the stream?
It doesnt seem to be in the OBD2 stream.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I've posted this elsewhere, but might as well do it here too. I borrowed an AIM Solo from a friend at my last track session (he drives an R8 GT Plus) and it seems to log brake pressure just fine:

Well sh*t. You stated that this borrowed gear, so it must be OBD2 that you are using. Did you pull the data off the AIM gear and look at in the data analysis tool? Perhaps the brake pressure is being calculated by the gyros in the Solo? Any chance you can get your friend to confirm the hardware and software versions he owns?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Well sh*t. You stated that this borrowed gear, so it must be OBD2 that you are using. Did you pull the data off the AIM gear and look at in the data analysis tool? Perhaps the brake pressure is being calculated by the gyros in the Solo? Any chance you can get your friend to confirm the hardware and software versions he owns?
Good pickup. Looks like this is probably brake pressure extrapolated from G data. You can see significant mid corner braking, which shouldn't be happening unless it is picking up major psm intervention (I doubt)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, maybe not. Looking at the video closer, it looks like good trail braking with some touch of psm on exit. Usually G calculated braking is very erratic. This doesn't look erratic

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal