Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maintenance and setup work mostly complete...

Headed out this weekend for a couple of days at Thunderhill. Sounds like we are going to get a number of GT4's on Saturday, I am excited to meet a few of the RL members that are committed to going. Have learned some things as recent work was completed, so I'm posting before I go out in an effort to gather questions to answer while Im out there this weekend. I expect people will want to hear about the ME20s etc...

Parts are linked in OP.

Stuff Done Since COTA
  • Full nuts and bolts inspection and tighten
  • Oil change
  • Brake fluid flush (Endless)
  • Diff fluid flush (Motul Competition)
  • New Endless ME 20 brake pads installed
  • New PSC2s mounted and balanced
  • GMG bar installed
  • Build anchor points for Schroth Profi III-HANS harnesses, Clubsport style; install those belts
  • GMG seat bases installed (sliders, they help getting in and out)
  • Racetech bucket seats installed, install passenger occupancy sensor, code out airbag lights

Lessons Learned and Stuff to Be Done
  • The occupancy sensor for passenger seat comes from Germany. When they say it will be there on Monday, expect Thursday.
  • You need the passenger seat wiring harness to mount the sensor. That means some surgery on your existing stock seats. No big deal, but worth noting.
  • Stock seats sitting in the garage, semi permanently, isn't my wife's favorite thing.
  • You need the snakey 997.2 GT2 seat belt receptacle to work with the Racetech (and others?) bucket seats or the 3 points wont be easy to buckle up during normal street driving.
  • I'm pulling the bottom seat cushion of the the seat when wearing a helmet and HANS to get more feel from the car and to prevent any helmet hits on the ceiling. It goes back in for driving on the street. (I'm 6 ft tall)
  • Multiple belt fitting and seat positioning exercises are required to make it all feel good.
  • Wanted to go to -3 camber in the front, but I didn't get the parts sorted out in time. I will have to come back for additional alignment and setup work.
  • I've got the Aim SoloDL / Smartycam HD rig almost ready to go. Will be a game time decision as to when I can mount and run them, I'm hoping for it all to be ironed out by Friday morning, but that's on me to deal with.
  • OEM fire extinguisher will not mount to the GMG plates and I dont think that it will work with any after market seat. Not surprising, but theres really no good way to make it work.
  • For Sale - 1 OEM Passenger mounted fire extinguisher

Photos
Not the greatest quality, I can take better ones outside with more natural light and not at dusk. Let me know if you want to see anything in particular.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 AM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm liking the firewall mounted harnesses. Was the install super invasive?
Old 03-31-2016, 09:34 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that looks great!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by ccibo72
I'm liking the firewall mounted harnesses. Was the install super invasive?
No, pretty simple actually. Couple of eye bolts to clip the harnesses into and reenforced plates for rigidness and strength. I obviously didn't do it though. Rico is very good at what he does.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

+1 on the firewall mount for the shoulder harnesses. Very nice
Old 03-31-2016, 11:07 AM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
No, pretty simple actually. Couple of eye bolts to clip the harnesses into and reenforced plates for rigidness and strength. I obviously didn't do it though. Rico is very good at what he does.
Thanks for the reply. I like the placement and factory feel.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:10 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

RE: firewall mount for shoulder harnesses

I like this method for it's simplicity. However, will PCA tech inspection pass this? Also, how were the reinforcement plates mounted to the firewall? DIY?
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by 9972RS
RE: firewall mount for shoulder harnesses

I like this method for it's simplicity. However, will PCA tech inspection pass this? Also, how were the reinforcement plates mounted to the firewall? DIY?
I've been told yes, it will pass. BR Racing did the work to sort it all out. Ill get more specifics.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:04 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

It's this still for sale?
For Sale - 1 OEM Passenger mounted fire extinguisher
Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 PM
katmeho
Pro

I've been told yes, it will pass. BR Racing did the work to sort it all out. Ill get more specifics.
Bolt goes through firewall into reinforced mounting plate. Fully PCA approved. I have an extra plate, I can take a picture and PM to anyone interested
Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by gac1077
It's this still for sale?
For Sale - 1 OEM Passenger mounted fire extinguisher
Sold.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:39 PM
katmeho
Pro

Finished a couple of days this week at TH. Planning on posting video of the West track run clockwise for those who have never seen that. Also plan on working with OrthoJoe to get some data posted on the 5 mile sessions we did.

I want to say it was great to meet so many RL isters, OrthoJoe, MayorAdamWest, and others whose stage names I can't remember. Thanks to everyone for a great day, for sharing feedback and thoughts on the cars and the track and making it a ton of fun. You should have seen the D group Porsche line up in the grid. It was 3 GT3s and 2 GT4s vs the Able Corvette group. After a sketchy morning session we managed to handle the day perfectly. Well done.

Couple of other things:
- the ME 20s are just insanely good. I have no reason to try another pad. I know some will feel I should explore but I really love them. If the hold up as well as they are supposed to, then we are good.
- my rear brake duct split and fell on track. I didn't know it was mine. Luckily it was retrieved and I have since zip tied all of them for extra support.
- the Racetech seats are amazing. I drove 4.5 hours on the street to get to TH and managed to not be sore.
- being able to safely wear a HANS agin felt good
- don't forget the buckle inserts for your 3 point belt buckle when using a 6 point setup. The alarms are nonstop.

Everything in its right place

Anchored to the firewall

Zip

Tie
Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

• Racetech bucket seats installed, install passenger occupancy sensor, code out airbag lights
  • . . .
  • You need the snakey 997.2 GT2 seat belt receptacle to work with the Racetech (and others?) bucket seats or the 3 points wont be easy to buckle up during normal street driving.
Thanks so much, great info.

1) Were you in fact able to code out the airbag lights?

2) By chance would you have part # of what to order re the 997.2 GT2 seat belt receptacle?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by vantage
Thanks so much, great info.

1) Were you in fact able to code out the airbag lights?

2) By chance would you have part # of what to order re the 997.2 GT2 seat belt receptacle?
We are still working on the airbag light. The transistors that we used were too high so we need to redo them. It's on the list to get sorted out. That being said, I drive 2 solid days and back and forth to TH with the light on and it didn't bug me at all. And I thought it would.

I don't have the part number but I will get it. I still need the mate for the passenger seat and I'll capture those details once ordered.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 759 Posts

I haven't tried and just out my 3 point seat belt over the harness.
Are we sure we can't just turn it off with PIWIS?

I have buckles to click into the female part but been forgetting to take them with me.

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal