Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Forgot about Potter's time. That's my goal. That was his first day out and I expect he will go faster if he hasn't already. I was out there that day and could barely keep up in the GT3.

Is there anything at this point the car is doing or not doing that is preventing you from going faster or are you just continuing to gain confidence int he car?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

katmeho, Thanks for the detailed tire pressure and temperature data. Pressure looks about right. Looks like you could use a little more negative camber. Instead of trying a softer front bar I'd suggest a stiffer rear bar. There's no problem going out 25# cold. Drive the first lap conservatively.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:55 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
There's no problem going out 25# cold. Drive the first lap conservatively.
At what pressure would you be ok with ramping things up?
Old 02-16-2016, 05:33 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
katmeho, Thanks for the detailed tire pressure and temperature data. Pressure looks about right. Looks like you could use a little more negative camber. Instead of trying a softer front bar I'd suggest a stiffer rear bar. There's no problem going out 25# cold. Drive the first lap conservatively.
Good feedback....I will certainly give it a try and report back.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:42 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Is there anything at this point the car is doing or not doing that is preventing you from going faster or are you just continuing to gain confidence int he car?
I think at this point its all me really. Im hyper aware of the speeds that Im at, which is more than I'm used to in a car without safety gear, seats and belts. I dont feel "planted" and secured in the car. With the upcoming work on the car, I may get more comfortable to push a little harder.

I think theres an opportunity to improve the car a bit with more aggressive pads. With race fluid, Im not getting fade, but more bite will allow for a tad later braking and more importantly will give that "pop" of initial deceleration. I find I'm trail-braking too long. Maybe because my initial pressures are wrong, maybe because I want more up front bite. Not sure, but based on some feedback here about the ME20's I plan on going to them after I burn up the stock pads.

I'm starting to get some push in T2 and tail wiggle over T9 (actually hit the TSC twice in a session- first time it came on in the car), so I think there are some improvements to make when it comes to setup. More bar? more camber? not sure...but my current setup is not likely to stick around after a couple more days on track. Will have to see what others experience as the season takes off.

But Im also continuing to be amazed at how capable this car is. Theres way more in it, I need to tap into it. Its more than I could have ever hoped for. I love it. I love that it allows me to strive to be a better driver.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

FergusH, I've started slicks as low as 23# but give them 2 laps. I don't monitor tire pressure with TPMS when track driving. Maybe I should but haven't been satisfied with accuracy. Maybe the GT4 is better.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice to read that most peopel now geting cars out on track! Keep upp the nice posts. I dont know I you guys get you tire monitor working. Anyway mine is working but the thing is if its on every time one enter car again one need to press it once egnition key is turned. If one miss this it starting to freek. I think its very easy to forget this, and just slightly Rolling the car without pressning it before to except new pressure then is a no show..But as long as I remember to keep press to except new pressure every time I enter car its fine. Like one has to do this every time the car startsida again. You can not roll one meter, I you miss to accept new pressure before Rolling one meter its to late, then the hazzle begin.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:42 AM
katmeho
Pro

Default Laguna Seca - Mar 3rd

Hm..not sure what to write about today. Was odd, looking forward to rain that never came. 70' and cloudy, the track was warmish and was fun. Lots of good people out and had a good couple of stints with a Yellow GT4 that was bone stock with a really quick driver. My car feels faster, but I was dancing all over, things moving around and I started to get the feeling like I wanted a more "planted" alignment. I think I want -3 up front, but Im running -2.5 right now. Considering what else it will take to get more grip.

Started to push harder (fore me) at Laguna since I was last here and it paid off. Notched a couple of seconds and got down to a 1:43:60, which is a PB for me, but I'm getting due for some stickers so I think I have a couple more seconds in that line/drive with happier rubber.

Data Here:
https://www.race-capture.com/events/...kehoe-gt4-rcp2

Front pads down to 40%, rears are fine. Was thinking about a change to the Endless ME20's, but see below for whats next.

Very noticeable tail wag under heavy breaking in T1 as indicated by others, but ZERO tail wag under heavy trail braking in T10. I thought this was odd, expected to feel the wag in both.

Cant figure out gears on this track. 2nd into the double apex T2, 3rd in T3, 4th through 5 and up the hill due to Trent Reznor in the sound booth, then 3rd in 6 and, heres the question, 3rd all the way up the hill, through the corkscrew, down all the way to T11???? I was holding that in an effort to take the instability out of the car when shifting and it yielded a very smooth ride and very consistent times....but it felt "lazy", like I should be doing more. Wonder what you guys think..

Last session of the day, I went for it and got 5 laps down before I blew a 94 db. County rules say that my session is done. Basically the GT4 will not run Laguna without some help. I was lifting the rest of the day and got away with it, but frankly, it sucks. I don't know what to do. Yes, I can build a super computer to close the flaps and hope..or put huge bongs on the back of the car, but all that seems cheeky to me and I want something more analog to deal with this. Or Ill just not run Laguna to often. Super happy that the people who bought homes next to a race track are able to sit on the decks with their Chardonnay and write their local representative about how loud their backyards are.

So, car was to go into the shop for its seats, bars and harnesses. I need a full nuts and bolts check, full diff flush, full oil change and brake fluid flush. Was going to put on new stickers as well, since they have been in my garage since the great scare of NO PSC2's at all of Jan 2016. Went to BR Racing on the way home to check some fitment issues with my RaceTech seats (which should be sorted out with a little work. TBD) and well...I'm going to COTA now instead of the PCA GGR event. Cars going up on the transporter in the morning and we will see the Austin guys soon on the Perelli Drivers Cup weekend (next Saturday!). If you are around and running the Edge Addicts DE event, come say hi. I'll be there desperately trying to learn the COTA race line.

So for those looking for details on my gear installation, it will be done in 3 week once the cars back from Austin and the team has a chance to do the work.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome data sharing from Race-Capture and thank you for sharing this with us. I think its a pretty good start to share data easily. Your fastest lap (lap 16) looks like you might have downshifted before turn 6 (not sure # - the big left-hander that leads uphill to under the bridge) and then coasted a bit. If you did coast I suspect it gave you confidence to carry more speed through the corner leading up the hill. Another thing I noticed that you didn't brake as much for the entry to the corkscrew as other laps, which allowed for slightly better speed. This is all based on what I can see, but overall it looks to be pretty good. I'm curious if you are not feeling the confidence with your brakes, because I do notice that you're not consistent on the last bit of braking. Some laps look good, others look like they increase in bit or in others it looks like you're not applying consistent pressure (jumps in your speed at the peaks on the deceleration). In any case great stuff and I look forward to reading more of your track adventures.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:47 PM
katmeho
Pro

Thanks for taking a look at the data, I never know if those posts matter to anyone here and I totally appreciate the feedback.

Originally Posted by ML///
Your fastest lap (lap 16) looks like you might have downshifted before turn 6 (not sure # - the big left-hander that leads uphill to under the bridge) and then coasted a bit.
Yup, T5. The lift is because thats where the sound booth is. Ironically, I never thought that the lift there would setup T6 better...thats something to think about!

Another thing I noticed that you didn't brake as much for the entry to the corkscrew as other laps, which allowed for slightly better speed.
I think I started playing with not downshifting for the corkscrew...and just trying to carry as much over the top as possible and let the downhill roll allow me to stay in the higher gear. I found that without the engine compression, I needed to brake differently. I played with that a while. Im not sure its the right thing to do, but I was looking to limit shifting to keep the car as balanced as possible.

I'm curious if you are not feeling the confidence with your brakes, because I do notice that you're not consistent on the last bit of braking. Some laps look good, others look like they increase in bit or in others it looks like you're not applying consistent pressure (jumps in your speed at the peaks on the deceleration).
Two things here I think. One, this is the "softest" my brakes have ever felt and I was getting used to that feeling. The brakes never faded or went off, they were just much hotter and have more modulation in them. That was new to me, this being my first real day at Laguna where I wasnt impacted by "new car" fear. That and I think that running nose to tail with people really had me lacking infocus on my marks. A couple of times I found myself chasing the guy in front and then getting lazy and looking at apexes instead of up the track. I think that accounts for my inconsistencies. Much to work on!!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:54 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW your Race-Capture is very cool. I run AIM DL and get loads of data, which ends up taking most of my evenings between days but I cannot share the data via a web format like what you just did.

Not that I'm an expert, but one thing I was told that really helped me was not to focus on where you are braking, but rather focus on where you turn-in for a corner. In doing so I saw that I would automatically adjust my braking to meet my new turn-in point. I hope this helps we I look forward to reading more of your track experience. Here in the NE we are waiting for some warmer weather to hit us so we all can go out and play.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 PM
katmeho
Pro

BTW your Race-Capture is very cool. I run AIM DL and get loads of data, which ends up taking most of my evenings between days but I cannot share the data via a web format like what you just did.
Thanks. Something to note, that data is streamed in real time from the car. Its possible to watch laps for RCP2 drivers as they turn them!!

I agree with the turn in suggestion, thanks.

Are you using the Solo DL in your GT4? Via CAN connection?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

I agree that you want to plan for the end of your brake zone. For an advanced driver, this might be well after turn-in and might end at the apex. Here's a video showing trail braking shot at Summit Point, turn 1 Note the position of the end of braking and transition to thottle.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're looking to get fast at any track, you have to be on throttle every possible second. So, for example at Laguna, after you crest T8 and drop down, you need to get on hard throttle. Even if it means you have to apply the brakes for T9. Or at Thunderhill, for example, on the east loop, out of T3 on that little tiny straight leading into T4, give it the stick. If you're coasting, you're too slow. And remember... cars are much more planted and stable when under throttle.

And just for the record, my old, tired 3.6 liter Cup could turn a 1:49 on the east loop of Thunderhill. You've got a lot of improvement ahead. Take small bites.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Agreed. When Potter ran the 1:58 I thought that to be a good goal. But it feels like bad form to hunt for such a major improvement... - 2 second increments from here on out seem like good mid term goals. BR Racing thinks a well sorted street car can get a high 1:56. That feels insane to me. So for now 2:02s consistently and hopefully sub 2s regularly when I improve.
156 would be within easy reach for potter if he had a few more days on that car.

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal