Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:38 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping by the time I get back from Sebring I will have my setup sorted out and dialed in. Then I will make a run at Thunderhill to see if I can match my GT3 time.

You should be able to hit low 2's in your car no problem.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I couldn't figure out why I got all excited and then very confused (sorting of like when you start dating); your reply says you got a BGB bar but I think you meant a GMG bar, no? Either way you are providing good real world data and reinforcing what we have said all along. Keep up the great work and congrats on the success of your car thus far.
Total fail on my part. I think the BGB offerings are really great products and the multiple design offerings are very community specific addressing different people's needs. I wish you lots of success with them and all that you are doing for the GT4.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My comment was regarding yes to harness/roil bar but no to harnesses.

I thing harness had more safety (Hans) than a roll / harness bar.
I'd put in harnesses, provided that mounting is solid before a bar?

:
Yes I'd agree. Being able to properly run a HANS is first priority.

Your setup looks awesome!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:55 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally understand the thinking behind HANS/Harness as #1 priority. It seems that new offerings for harness/”roll” bars are still coming out… While I monitor (via rennlist) the pros/cons of each new bar, I still want to get a decent level of safety equipment installed ASAP. For me that means having HANS/harness installed for any high speed solo DE.

As an immediate and reasonable-cost solution, I went with the RSS lightweight harness bar. This will allow me to get my GT4 out on the track (as soon as my 2k miles break-in is complete) immediately… In the meantime, I’ll continue to keep up on reviews of the heavier-duty harness bars and Katmeho’s journal… If/when I decide to take it to the next level (alignment/suspension upgrades, full harness/roll bar), I can do that later.

I ordered and received my RSS lightweight harness bar last week. Excellent service/response from Mike at RSS... Will be installing it next weekend.

@katmeho – I’m still following the AIM Solo DL thread. Thanks for following up with Peter on that. I’m ready to jump on that data logging system as soon as the GT4 data issue gets resolved.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:04 PM
katmeho
Pro

Bigger write up from yesterday coming later this weekend. But I got a present at the track.

No pit out of the glass. Just a tiny impact mark and the circle under the surface. On drivers side so I see it. PCA has rules about glass issues. Does this count? What options do I have to get it fixed?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch! As long as it hasn't started to spider, a glass shop should be able to fill and repair it. If done properly, you'll have a hard time seeing it afterwards.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:08 AM
katmeho
Pro

Default Thunderhill - Feb 13 2016

Got 43 laps in at Thunderhill Saturday. East track CCW. It was a great day, 72 degrees F.

Had the pleasure of meeting a fellow GT4 owner and we were in the same run group. It was great to get nose to tail with 2 GT4's and let them out and play. Quick driver who had only a day or two at TH. Would love to get more GT4's together at the track.

Originally Posted by katmeho
My goal for the season is to run 2:05's consistently. I'm declaring it now!
I have to get a new goal... I ran a 2:04:80 and maxed out at 132.3 mph on the front straight. Ran a number of 2:05's but it will take some doing to get the 2:04's consistently.

Session data can be found here.

New goal, consistent 2:02's with the help of more practice and some real coaching.

Tire Pressure Data
I was very diligent about getting tire temp readings and making pressure adjustments with the guys from On Edge Performance during the 3 sessions that I ran for times. In the end, we locked in a perfect setup and I felt no lack of grip or the tires going off. So....

Cold tire pressures for Thunderhill East, CCW, dry track and ambient temps from 65-72' F are:
LF - 25.5
RF - 25
LR - 27.5
RR - 27

This will get you to within 1 pound of where you need to be for the whole day as the track gets warm and you can make micro adjustments session to session. Temps noted are outer/middle/inner.

Session 1 hot pressure - temps
LF - 33.8 - 139/139/150
RF - 34.7 - 134/146/141
LR - 36.4 - 122/138/146
RR - 36.3 - 155/150/138

Session 2 hot pressure - temps
LF - 34.3 - 141/144/156
RF - 35.2 - 166/160/157
LR - 37.1 - 140/153/166
RR - 36.4 - 166/160/153

Session 3 hot pressure - temps
(Best setup, best feeling of grip)
LF - 33.5 - 137/139/142
RF - 34.4 - 147/149/150
LR - 36.5 - 127/138/144
RR - 36.4 - 154/149/141

Setup
Full aero
Alignment: -2.5 front, -2.0 rear
Sway bars: stock

Thoughts
  • Ouch! - First day in shorts in the GT4 and the speaker grill is basically a cheese grater on the outside of your left knee. Stick with the longer pants for track days.
  • TPMS - Just what the hell is going on with this? I put the car in circuit mode and you have to pull it out of circuit mode before you turn off the car. Else, alarms and pop ups and general bullsh!t while on circuit and then off!! Try to reset it all and the car has to "relearn" pressures and that takes god knows how long. What are you all doing to manage the tire alerts because its driving me bonkers?!!? For those with the sport chrono, I guess its worse because if you have your display set to anything but TPMS, like the gear shifting thing, it bounces you out of that screen and back to the TPMS screen. We need Porsche to fix this...or I need to learn what Im doing wrong with the setting. Typically I drop my pressures, enable circuit mode and then drive. But by the second session everything is a mess.
  • Rock chip in the front glass
  • Burning a lot of fuel. 2 full sessions have me hitting the pump. I dont mind at all, but I do hate the alarm / pop up that keeps going off in the middle of spirited driving.
  • Started feeling like I was getting tossed in the cabin a little given the quicker pace. Will be happy to get the seats and belts installed. Couple of parts still yet to arrive, but install will be happening in the next couple of weeks.
  • Next up - Laguna on March 3rd.

Dueling GT4's

Why u mad bro?

Not everyday you get to run against Conti / PWC cars...yeah yeah I know its just an arrive and drive treat but still...

Old 02-16-2016, 02:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on the PB!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:33 AM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. 2:04 is really fast. I have a lot of catch up to do next time I see you.

Curious why you didn't do any adjustment on the bar? No need?
Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Never set cold pressures that low then track ! you will scrub your tyres bad! better to go down to 30psi do 2 laps and re adjust imo.

going out on 25psi tyres will wreck them.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:26 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Never set cold pressures that low then track ! you will scrub your tyres bad! better to go down to 30psi do 2 laps and re adjust imo.

going out on 25psi tyres will wreck them.
I was wondering about that. But I didn't know any better. Thanks for letting me know, from now on I'll use session one as warm up and get the pressures to be where we want after some laps.

This is why RL rules. Learn something new everyday.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by stingray84
Wow. 2:04 is really fast. I have a lot of catch up to do next time I see you.

Curious why you didn't do any adjustment on the bar? No need?
Up till now I've not really felt that there was a reason to adjust it. Any push that I was getting I attributed it to my driving and not the car. Now that I feel more confident in the car, I may go soft on the front to see how it changes the dynamics on the car. I will likely do this at the GGR weekend back at TH.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

great info btw ;-)

I wish the big players would post a nice base geo to work from, but alass the sponsers threads are 100% sales with no info helping us noobies set up our own cars !!!

I am going to try hard sway bars for less roll so then net result is less camber needed, so my 1st track outing will be on -2.3 front -1.8 rear with zero front toe and a tad less rear, with rear sway bar hard on CUP 2's. got to start some where and that will be my 1st set up.

Mine is a road car though which will only see 3/4 track days in 2016.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 02-16-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Katmeho

Great info but I think you're setting the bar too low. 2:00 should be within reach. I expect faster. Best of luck.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Katmeho

Great info but I think you're setting the bar too low. 2:00 should be within reach. I expect faster. Best of luck.
Agreed. When Potter ran the 1:58 I thought that to be a good goal. But it feels like bad form to hunt for such a major improvement... - 2 second increments from here on out seem like good mid term goals. BR Racing thinks a well sorted street car can get a high 1:56. That feels insane to me. So for now 2:02s consistently and hopefully sub 2s regularly when I improve.

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal