Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Warwick. I have been advised that the 991.2 GT3 has a different PASM controller than the 991.1 GT3 had. The difference specifically at this time is unknown (i.e. the housing and connectors are likely to be identical) however its believed that the algorithm and how the individual shocks are controlled have been "significantly tuned" in he new car and I suspect are borrowing some of the philosophy incorporated into the DSC controller. Further more the road manners of the 991.2 GT3 have been improved somewhat over the outgoing generation though the use of differing spring rates and rear helper springs making the need to improve the cars handling on fast road less acute.

I have had extensive experience with the DSC in the 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4. For me the revelation was how much the unit improved the ride comfort and handling on roads. Yes I did pick up some time on the track but I likely its effect on track to stiffened springs or roll bars, both of which can be addressed mechanically as an alternative. There are some benefits here but the magic trick IMO is how the unit allows the shocks to slacken on a straight undulating road improving traction and comfort then stiffen (fronts) under brakes or L/R under fast bumpy sweepers using G tables, brake pressure, accelerometers built into the car etc. The improvements on the track were similar for both 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4 however on the road the GT4 benefited more from the DSC than the GT3 interestingly. My friend found very similar results...
Old 08-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Warwick. I have been advised that the 991.2 GT3 has a different PASM controller than the 991.1 GT3 had. The difference specifically at this time is unknown (i.e. the housing and connectors are likely to be identical) however its believed that the algorithm and how the individual shocks are controlled have been "significantly tuned" in he new car and I suspect are borrowing some of the philosophy incorporated into the DSC controller. Further more the road manners of the 991.2 GT3 have been improved somewhat over the outgoing generation though the use of differing spring rates and rear helper springs making the need to improve the cars handling on fast road less acute.

I have had extensive experience with the DSC in the 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4. For me the revelation was how much the unit improved the ride comfort and handling on roads. Yes I did pick up some time on the track but I likely its effect on track to stiffened springs or roll bars, both of which can be addressed mechanically as an alternative. There are some benefits here but the magic trick IMO is how the unit allows the shocks to slacken on a straight undulating road improving traction and comfort then stiffen (fronts) under brakes or L/R under fast bumpy sweepers using G tables, brake pressure, accelerometers built into the car etc. The improvements on the track were similar for both 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4 however on the road the GT4 benefited more from the DSC than the GT3 interestingly. My friend found very similar results...
Thanks Macca; good info.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Thanks mate, you'll see it in person on Saturday @ Wakefield (with the red wheels obviously).

Where do you head down from and what time do you leave? Not sure if the Sydney folk have a meet an drive down together. This is my first PCNSW Track Day.
Hi Charlie, just wondering how you've got on with the bent wheel from Saturday. I hope you had no hassles getting home. Those of us who stayed on till later in the day got in mucho laps and I think we all had a ball.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Hi Charlie, just wondering how you've got on with the bent wheel from Saturday. I hope you had no hassles getting home. Those of us who stayed on till later in the day got in mucho laps and I think we all had a ball.
Hey mate. The spacer got me home. The buckle is very minor but enough to cause the wheel to hit the rear toe link. The repairer should have it fixed by early next week, he said no structural damage so should be 100%.

How did you end up going on the 19s vs 20s? Any improvement in lap time on the 19s?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:52 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry to hear you bent a wheel. Was it one of your new Koya's? From a big hit or normal track use?
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Hey mate. The spacer got me home. The buckle is very minor but enough to cause the wheel to hit the rear toe link. The repairer should have it fixed by early next week, he said no structural damage so should be 100%.

How did you end up going on the 19s vs 20s? Any improvement in lap time on the 19s?
Not that much in it actually. Got quite a few laps in the 1:05's and they were on the 19 Koyas but I've been a bit faster on the OEM 20s in the past. Best on Saturday on the Vbox was 1:05.69. The highest top speed I hit was 195.73 kph which I think is an impressive speed for a non-GT3 Porsche. Following a friend in his very well driven 997 GT3 in the last session it was great to see how close these GT4s are. They a bit quicker in some parts but a bit slower anywhere you need to get the power down hard and fast (can't beat that rear engine location for traction). I think 30 or 40 bhp would make it the GT4s totally competitive.....and if we could kill the understeer (fronts tyres still wearing more on the outside than inside despite 3.0 neg).
Old 08-23-2017, 02:51 AM
Tilpa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that much in it actually. Got quite a few laps in the 1:05's and they were on the 19 Koyas but I've been a bit faster on the OEM 20s in the past. Best on Saturday on the Vbox was 1:05.69. The highest top speed I hit was 195.73 kph which I think is an impressive speed for a non-GT3 Porsche. Following a friend in his very well driven 997 GT3 in the last session it was great to see how close these GT4s are. They a bit quicker in some parts but a bit slower anywhere you need to get the power down hard and fast (can't beat that rear engine location for traction). I think 30 or 40 bhp would make it the GT4s totally competitive.....and if we could kill the understeer (fronts tyres still wearing more on the outside than inside despite 3.0 neg).
Wow that's impressive! Anything in the 1.05's at Wakefield is bloody quick. I was down there two weeks ago in my Kent formula ford and running high 4's / low 5's. Haven't driven the GT4 in anger at Wakefield yet and stoked to hear its that fast
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by nzskater
Sorry to hear you bent a wheel. Was it one of your new Koya's? From a big hit or normal track use?
Yeh the new Koyas. Went over a ripple strip powering through the second last corner at Wakefield. Ran over the edge of the strip and heard something scraping. Luckily the exit is on the next corner so went into the pits, looked under the car and nothing was hanging out. Jacked up the car and saw the wheel was hitting the toe link. A spacer pushed the wheel away from the toe link enough to get it home. Not that bent, but enough to knock it out 1-2mm and hit the toe link.

Probably just bad luck. Others run the brand and never had an issue.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Great times and good to know. If I have anymore issues with the 19s then I will probably just stick to the 20s and run an R-Spec on them.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 PM
oxymoron
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Macca

A GT4 friend of mine down here has just this week learned his 991.2 GT3 allocation has been accepted and the car will be delivered before year end. He has done a deal to trade his GT4 in early (end of August). He bought the DSC at the same time as I did. Its effectively an as new unit and he would like to sell it so contacted me to see if there was any interest on this board.
Macca, do you have any details on this car of your friends? I'm in the market for a GT4. Looking for one with LWB and Clubsport pack ideally. Thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron
Macca, do you have any details on this car of your friends? I'm in the market for a GT4. Looking for one with LWB and Clubsport pack ideally. Thanks
Hi Mate. Im New Zealand based so not sure it would be of interest to you? Rhodium Silver, LWB, 10k km non clubsport.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:35 PM
oxymoron
4th Gear

Ah whoops. Not to worry then, thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 05:43 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by oxymoron
There are 4 or 5 Clubsport cars on Carsales with low kms and a reasonble spread of prices and colour. Shouldn't be too hard to pick one up.......they're not exactly rare.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 AM
mungee
Racer

Hey Charlie sorry to hear about your koyas..I didn't use mine today either at SMP - they just stick out way too far on the 305's. I have the 45 offset and wonder if the 46 or 47 might have been better. Will chat to them tomorrow.

Was great to meet O5C4R out there today and cut some laps with him.

I would have loved to lean on a set of Trofeos but the day went very well regardless. Some of the new parts I think are helping.

Looking forward to meeting & catching up soon with all of you.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2017, 05:52 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Mungee great to meet you too yesterday. I was in the 'old school' 997.1 GT3, and enjoyed our laps, despite getting spanked by you and your GT4! See you again soon.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s