Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mungee
Thanks for the BSA tip..I thought id go 1mm to start as we can always shave another 1mm next time.

Lets get you into the 43's next time out!! Howe did you go with pressures this time, did you lower them?
Realistically 1mm won't make a difference and is negligible.

I did a few laps and came in, dropped the tyre pressure to 30psi all around and went back out. Car felt alot better at 30psi. Start of each session I took 2 laps to get them back up to heat.

The tyres felt great and as the day went on I really built my confidence to push them.

1.43 is very realistic. My Virtual best from Wednesday was a 1.45.80 using the best 3 splits from the timing. Better lines, better shifting and less traffic should be able to get me at least 1-2 seconds, plus chasing you guys will help me push the limits. You always end up faster when you are chasing someone quicker than you.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Hey guys,

I am up for an insurance renewal. I know there were some posts buried earlier on insurance but has anyone got an insurance firm they would recommend.

I was on an insurance premium of around 2.3k with AAMI on an agreed value of around 190k (with a 3k excess - I am comfortable with high excesses). I didnt mind that, but this year its gone to 2.4k premium with a valuation of 138k.

At 138k I cant help but think I would be significantly out of pocket on a total loss. (note also for the first 2 years they do new for old, and that now no longer applies).

I am happy to take a few recommendations, so please chime in!
Mines with Shannons, similar cost to AAMI, slightly less Excess and $205k value.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 PM
mungee
Racer

Originally Posted by Charliekay
I did a few laps and came in, dropped the tyre pressure to 30psi all around and went back out. Car felt alot better at 30psi. Start of each session I took 2 laps to get them back up to heat.

The tyres felt great and as the day went on I really built my confidence to push them..
I personally run no more than 29psi, Trofeo's run really well from 26-29psi hot. They do not need air like many others. Mine go up 12 psi from cold to hot which is always a challenge to manage in the first 2 session of the day.

Originally Posted by Charliekay
plus chasing you guys will help me push the limits. You always end up faster when you are chasing someone quicker than you.
100% Agree there, allows you to focus forward instead of your mirrors. I don't like being hunted...lol. But I like to go out first in any ARDC sessions I do so I can get clear track.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mungee
I personally run no more than 29psi, Trofeo's run really well from 26-29psi hot. They do not need air like many others. Mine go up 12 psi from cold to hot which is always a challenge to manage in the first 2 session of the day.

100% Agree there, allows you to focus forward instead of your mirrors. I don't like being hunted...lol. But I like to go out first in any ARDC sessions I do so I can get clear track.
I will try 28 or 29psi next time. I am new to the world of Trofeos.

Hahah. I don't mind being hunted or chase, either way it tends to help me push harder. Some ARDC days are good because all cars are close enough to equal so you don't have alot of traffic build up. Wednesday we had a private group, so alot of different cars and some were willing to push harder than others, so you would get 1 or 2 laps with no traffic, then another 1 or 2 with traffic. Enjoyable regardless.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey guys,

I am up for an insurance renewal. I know there were some posts buried earlier on insurance but has anyone got an insurance firm they would recommend.

I was on an insurance premium of around 2.3k with AAMI on an agreed value of around 190k (with a 3k excess - I am comfortable with high excesses). I didnt mind that, but this year its gone to 2.4k premium with a valuation of 138k.

At 138k I cant help but think I would be significantly out of pocket on a total loss. (note also for the first 2 years they do new for old, and that now no longer applies).

I'm with Famous insurance, 2nd time around they dropped premium to 2100 from 2600 and retained agreed value at 260k, excess 1950.
Great lakes underwriters.

All this without one call from me
Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
I'm with Famous insurance, 2nd time around they dropped premium to 2100 from 2600 and retained agreed value at 260k, excess 1950.
Great lakes underwriters.

All this without one call from me
I just hate having to answer all those pesky disclosure questions when you change insurers....so I don't! The insurers probably know that and use it keep you there. All our normal road cars (we have a few) are with AAMI, and that includes my Lambo for which I get a reasonable price. My old GT3 is with Shannons because they do good prices on older "classics" that don't get used a lot and the GT4 is with Porsche since it was reasonable and it's easy when you a buy new car with them.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I just hate having to answer all those pesky disclosure questions when you change insurers....so I don't! The insurers probably know that and use it keep you there. All our normal road cars (we have a few) are with AAMI, and that includes my Lambo for which I get a reasonable price. My old GT3 is with Shannons because they do good prices on older "classics" that don't get used a lot and the GT4 is with Porsche since it was reasonable and it's easy when you a buy new car with them.
I get what you're saying but AAMI are obviously trying to take Brad for massive ride, I would be looking elsewhere as well if I was him.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:01 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys,

holy crap they must be taking the **** or don't want to insure you, I mean every year I have to shop around but I've never been low balled like that, I eventually got mine down to $1400 with nrma with 2500 excess and market value.
If you wanna take the risk the online insurance company Progressive came in at 1 grand and $210k value 😲
Old 09-24-2017, 03:51 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Try Famous $1400 for my 997 06 C2 S agreed value of $120K.......$1000 excess CAMS Licence holders and members get good discounts to ..

http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Dicknose
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youi gave me a very good price on my Spyder.
They do ask a lot of questions and you can't get an online quote, you need to speak to someone.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Chasing up a few of them now. Already have one quote significantly better than AAMI.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:51 AM
mungee
Racer

Let us know how you go please.

Thanks for the replies guys. Chasing up a few of them now. Already have one quote significantly better than AAMI.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:16 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

be careful with Youi I had my 997 insured with them the first year I had it ,,when the renewal came around I decided to go with another insurer ...Youi decided they would help them selves to my credit card details from the previous year and just renew the policy with out my permission and take the funds they wanted ..........took me several weeks to get the full amount back and had to get fair trading involved ...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:01 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, so I have ended up with NRMA. It looks like they are trying to buy customers at the moment, so definitely worth a look for those who need to renew soon.

I am renting temporarily down in Hobart at the moment and dont have a garage for the car (I have secure offstreet parking, but not a garage) which means some of the options listed below are not available (Famous and Shannons wont insure you for cars over a certain value unless they are garaged - this is 100k for Shannons).

So I had to go with less agreed value than I would have liked (around 180k - they would not go higher), but the premium was around 1.4k including choice of repairer and windscreen coverage. For those with cars less than 2 years they will do 2 years new for old, so agreed value is not really an issue - definitely worth a look.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

That's a very good deal Brad, last time I checked NRMA doesn't cover Victorians.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s