Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:04 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Would love to hear your comparison between your gt4 and 991s. Currently making the exact same switch.

Still forming my impressions so can only share initial ones.

Build quality feels to same standard as 991. Same switchgear, same seats, same leather, etc. Either makes the 991 overpriced or the Cayman a good value. I like the design of the cayman dash and vents. I was worried the Cayman would feel more closed in than 991. There is a bigger blind spot at the C pillar and the passenger headrest blocks the quarter panel window. Other than that the cabin feels intimate but comfortable. Lots of head room for helmet. Perhaps even more than in my non-sunroof 911. In my 991 I had persistent squeaks from the seatbelt area of B pillar and the center dash vent panel. So far no squeaks in the cayman. Hope that lasts. I like the rear trunk. It is shallow and fits my briefcase and daily work carry items much better than the front trunk. If you get the rubber mat nothing seems to slide around.

Structure of car feels at least as stiff and solid as 991. I'm sure the newtons of twisting force stat exists somewhere but I'd wager the cayman is slightly stiffer. Might be wrong as different suspensions and such but cayman feels very solid. Being in FL in summer I miss my a/c seats and they GT4 upgrades stereo is weak. I miss my burmeister. Also I did occasionally use the rear seats for my daughter and a friend. She is hitting the age to be safe in front and I guess her friends can find alternate transportation.

Exhaust note is much more aggressive and pleasing in Gt4. No need to consider aftermarket exhausts. IMO.

The yellow stitched/alcantera interior feels special. 918 style steering wheel is better in hand than the previous sports wheel. A little thicker.

The GT4 is my daily driver and totally comfortable. Driving my 991 down to dealership I was very attuned to ride quality wondering what differences I would find in GT4. The GT4 was slightly firmer, not harsh, feels lighter on its feet and quicker steering. I live in an area with very smooth roads so I tried a day with suspension on the firm setting and found even that livably.

Personally I'd view the GT4 as a fairly priced car. It both feels and looks special. Can't wait to get the engine broken in so I can track it. Curious how the adjustable roll bars change balance. Will try different settings to see what works best for me.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:33 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks for the response how does the gearing difference feel between the two cars?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:22 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks NOPDK. The smoothness of the roads in your area allowing you to run the suspension in track mode is pretty cool. I suspect one could do the same in Germany.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Thanks for the response how does the gearing difference feel between the two cars?

PDK vs Manual. 7 gears vs 6. Not apples to apples but no question the ratios are closer on the PDK box.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Clear bra and tint on yesterday. Did xpel ultimate, full front with edges wrapped, full front bumper, rocker panels extending up to seam above intake, full intake scoop. rear wheel impact areas. Went on clean and no visible seams. Another great install by AutoSuperSheild in Boca.

Went with photo sync tint. 75% light transmission windshield and 35% transmission sides and back (legal limit). Supposed to be very heat rejecting. It was raining on way home so can't tell much yet on it's heat blocking effectiveness. Does look good.

The one big red lump in my cabin was the fire extinguisher so I had them wrap it in yellow film to match stitching.

Reenlist user Number 9 stopped by to check out the car and catch up. Excited for him to get his GT Silver car in october. It will be a tough wait. He took some picts of my car next to his Cayman R. Hopefully he will post up some picts.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2015, 05:30 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope I don't do injustice to how beautiful Carmine is. This was in the rain with an iPhone. Best I could do!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Carmine is a great color!

It would be interesting to see your car parked next to a GR car - then you can really see the difference. I was struck how much there was when you place GR and Carmine paint samples next to each other, GT has a definite orange tinge to it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I love the pop on your Aqua number9.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPDK

Structure of car feels at least as stiff and solid as 991. I'm sure the newtons of twisting force stat exists somewhere but I'd wager the cayman is slightly stiffer.
Yes, I believe the torsional rigidity figure for 981 is much higher than 991 - 42k nm/degree vs 32k nm/degree.

ps. Loving carmine red.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

NOPDK - thanks for your posts. Just found your thread and really enjoying it.

Really interested in your comment comparing the 997.2 GT3 and your GT4. Another owner had the exact opposite response (thought the GT4 was comparatively underwhelming). Did you own a .2 or just have a lot of seat time in one?

Curious of another comparison: the one thing I noticed in the 991 GT3 vs. the 997.2 was the difference in suspension tuning. The 997 bounces and bobbles over rough road. The 991 GT3 just ate the same roads up and created near 0 drama. I would credit a big amount of that to the damper/spring setup. What is your assessment of the suspension control so far?

Looking forward to more posts. This will help get me thru to Nov
Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Yes, I believe the torsional rigidity figure for 981 is much higher than 991 - 42k nm/degree vs 32k nm/degree.

ps. Loving carmine red.

There is one in every crowd! Well played. Great info.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:38 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
NOPDK - thanks for your posts. Just found your thread and really enjoying it.

Really interested in your comment comparing the 997.2 GT3 and your GT4. Another owner had the exact opposite response (thought the GT4 was comparatively underwhelming). Did you own a .2 or just have a lot of seat time in one?

Curious of another comparison: the one thing I noticed in the 991 GT3 vs. the 997.2 was the difference in suspension tuning. The 997 bounces and bobbles over rough road. The 991 GT3 just ate the same roads up and created near 0 drama. I would credit a big amount of that to the damper/spring setup. What is your assessment of the suspension control so far?

Looking forward to more posts. This will help get me thru to Nov

Thanks. Close friend had a 997.2 GT3 and now has 991 GT3 with LWB's. Have done long rides with him in both cars both as passenger and driving. I also belong to track club and go at least a few times a month. Lot's of GT3's and cup cars running. The clutch on the 997.2 GT3 is long, I found the engagement vague, the throws on the box are long and the engagement of gears is good but not great. It worked fine but certainly didn't inspire.

Suspension control on GT4 is along the same vein as the 991 GT3. Very controlled, well damped, doesn't crash or get unsettled over seams in highway, goes over things like manhole covers without harshness. I'd say on the highway the two have similar ride quality. Both are much improved over the 997 GT3 which as you say "bounces and bobbles" over rough highway. I had a very early 991S with sport suspension and PDCC for almost 3 years and have been comparing the ride. For my good FL roads it's just as comfortable suspension wise. Feels sharper and more controlled, lighter on it's feet but no more harsh. On highway totally comfortable ride was.

There is much more engine noise and it's all good sounds. Great intake sound and exhaust sound is MUCH better than the GT3's up to 5k. Porsche wasted little resources on sound insulation in this one. Have been keeping Rev's limited. I'm sure the GT3 wins at the top of the rev range as it's final push from 8-9K sounds insane. I surprised how much I can hear from the gearbox. Lots of gear whine and it's an OK but not the greatest sound. I have Guard gears in my 73 hotrod and those sound like a cup car, really love that sound. The GT4's box is a little higher pitched and on a long drive I'd imagine that sound would get old. The good news is that if you are pushing the engine it drowns out the gear box. The 991GT3 does not have this gearbox whine and it's box is closer to the cabin.

The GT4 will also let you enjoy the little things in life. I took 3 different family members for rides this weekend and it was highly amusing to watch them try to figure out how the door pulls work. I suggest offering no assistance and just sitting back and watching. Civilians seem baffled by it's operation.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:53 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by number 9
Hope I don't do injustice to how beautiful Carmine is. This was in the rain with an iPhone. Best I could do!

Great looking Cayman R for Number 9. GT4 definitely sits lower and looks larger.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:42 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have wing envy
Old 08-04-2015, 02:29 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Xpel ultimate done on full front, side skirts up to seam above side intakes, side intakes, impact area behind rear wheels. All edges wrapped.

Photo Sync tint. 75% transmission windshield, 35% other windows.

My thanks to Pepe's crew at autosupershield for another great install.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.