Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Thanks for the photos of your '73 along side the GT4 for size comparison. I have been wondering how much longer the Cayman is than an early 911. My shop is a bit tight with the 3 aircooled 911s now and am wondering how the Cayman will fit in place of the 964 after it is sold. Going to be tight I think.

Your '73 looks fantastic BTW

Cayman must be a good foot longer than my 73. Thank for kind words on my hotrod. It will be featured in Excellence Mag over the coming year.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Pict at local site
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOPDK, after seeing almost hundreds of GT4 pictures on the interwebz, I think your car could be my favorite so far (PTS examples pending!).

Great job with the color scheme. BTW, thanks for changing the image size. I can now see that beauty in all its Carmine/PCCB glory!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:44 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csbear
NOPDK, after seeing almost hundreds of GT4 pictures on the interwebz, I think your car could be my favorite so far (PTS examples pending!).

Great job with the color scheme. BTW, thanks for changing the image size. I can now see that beauty in all its Carmine/PCCB glory!

Thanks I'm digging it as well
Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Break in miles complete. Engine comes alive above 5500 RPM. Pulls very hard at the top end. Engine lacks mid-range grunt. Torque feels much flatter than in my 991S. Could just be a byproduct of the PDK gear ratios in the 991S or the aggressive downshift that transmission will do under heavy throttle. Kinda crazy that in the GT4 you can be going 75MPH and have the option of downshifting into second and still be in the peak power band. If weather OK will hit track on Wednesday. Curious how she feels coming out of second gear corners as if RPMs are down to 4500 it will be a delay until the engine hits it sweet spot. On the street its more than adequate and feels stunning (so don't fret). Coming out of a low speed corner with a cup car breathing down your neck or the invariable GT3 driver out to prove that they are faster on the straights may be a different story.

Waiting to see what gains are to be had with mods such as intake plenum, throttle body, headers with high flow cats and software tune. If it can strengthen the mid-range torque and upper end power it might be worth it.

Car really is a blast to drive. If you are waiting for yours, be patient. It's worth it the wait.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2015, 03:02 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPDK
Pict at local site
I had to just set this as by background
Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPDK
Break in miles complete. Engine comes alive above 5500 RPM. Pulls very hard at the top end. Engine lacks mid-range grunt. Torque feels much flatter than in my 991S. Could just be a byproduct of the PDK gear ratios in the 991S or the aggressive downshift that transmission will do under heavy throttle. Kinda crazy that in the GT4 you can be going 75MPH and have the option of downshifting into second and still be in the peak power band. If weather OK will hit track on Wednesday. Curious how she feels coming out of second gear corners as if RPMs are down to 4500 it will be a delay until the engine hits it sweet spot. On the street its more than adequate and feels stunning (so don't fret). Coming out of a low speed corner with a cup car breathing down your neck or the invariable GT3 driver out to prove that they are faster on the straights may be a different story.

Waiting to see what gains are to be had with mods such as intake plenum, throttle body, headers with high flow cats and software tune. If it can strengthen the mid-range torque and upper end power it might be worth it.

Car really is a blast to drive. If you are waiting for yours, be patient. It's worth it the wait.
I haven't completed my break in but I have to 100% agree this car is lacking the mid range punch the 911 has and mine has the 7spd manual in it.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:14 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zmon
I had to just set this as by background

Sweet!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I haven't completed my break in but I have to 100% agree this car is lacking the mid range punch the 911 has and mine has the 7spd manual in it.

Everything on the car is just so excellent that the long gearing and lack of midrange torque stands out. I test drove a Cayman GTS and neither of those things stood out to me on that car which has less power than the GT4.

I'm not one to modify cars but if it seems some simple mods will help this I'll consider it.

Anybody with an opinion on potential warranty issues with the following mods
Intake Plenum
Throttle body
Headers with 200 cell cats
Software flash to make it all work together

If BGB is truly getting 991 power kit levels of power with their 3.8 conversions then it should be achievable with the GT4. If that unlocked 40 more HP wouldn't you have to do it?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:21 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic

Do you think it's gearing or engine power? or both? I can't decide.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

soooo beautiful
Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Default Carmine vs Carmine

same car. same camera. minutes apart. amazing how differently the color can show in pictures. Carmine can look like either of these pictures in person depending on lighting. Really happy I chose this color.
Attached Images   
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Default Pictures from track last night.

RS made a showing which was the first I've seen in person. 3 991 cup cars. 991 GT3 and some assorted other cars.
Attached Images     
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Bonzai30
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The RS is a work of art.

How was the GT4 on the track now that it's broken in???
Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonzai30
The RS is a work of art.

How was the GT4 on the track now that it's broken in???

Guy with RS is one of the 918 VIP's and took delivery of GT4 same week as the RS. He was really enthusiastic about his GT4. RS is wicked but it's an ungainly looking car. Not a pretty car. mean looking and purposeful but the lines are too broken up. Perhaps better in darker color? Engine sound was quiet at low and mid revs. Wing is impressively large, as big as the 991 cup cars that were there. The tires on it are MASSIVE. Design wise the stance and lines of the GT4 are better to my eye.

GT4 on track was as I was expecting

Brakes: ceramics are very impressive. Excellent feel/modulation. great power. never got soft. better than my 991 with Pagid yellows. thrilled I got the ceramics (providing they last)

Handling: excellent. car is very stable and has more grip than 991 on corner entry and mid corner. 991 can put power down earlier out of corner. Feels planted, really good.

Gearing: the longer gears worked great on the track I was at. The slower corners had me exiting around 5200 in second gear so was always in power band. The taller gearing worked well for this track. I suspect that the taller gearing will be a liability at the hairpin at sebring. I'm guessing you will come out of that around 3500/4k in second and then it's a long way to get back on power. I guess you can downshift to 1st but that's always been a taboo. can you even do that?

Tires: sport cup 2's have great grip and didn't get greasy

engine temps ran middle of the gauges on a muggy august Florida night. cooler than my 991 ran.

Motor: they rated it at 385 and it feels accurate. This is not an underrated motor as the GT department insinuated in an interview. It runs out of breath the last 400 RPMs where my 991 pulled until redline. Car was around 3mph slower terminal velocity on back straight relative to 991 at a similar ambient temp.

On any track with a long straight I think lap times between this and a 991S would be similar. On a short technical course GT4 should be faster. There was a 991 GT3 on track and I had no problem keeping up in the tighter sections. On the back straight he walked away from me. Not even close. Feels like Porsche left 40 hp on table. It's really tempting to recapture that with Plenum/Throttle body/Headers and tune.

Issue is with the software tune what happens when you bring the car in for dealer service? I would think it would be read right off the OBD II that it was not stock software and the dealer would flag the car as modified ECU and you would be screwed if anything went wrong. If anybody has inside insight on this please share. Anybody work at a porsche service department know how they would handle that and if it would be picked up and flagged? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

Most importantly, car is really fun to drive. Chassis is lively and connected. All the mechanicals feel precise. It is a more engaging car to lap than my 991S was. It's a little disheartening that the power delivery isn't more impressive when everything else really is so stunningly good.

Quick Reply: Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.