Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:53 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPDK
Plate will be "PDKNO". I already have "NOPDK" on my 73 911 hotrod.

Great choice with carmine red and I like the plate too. I test drove a carmine red cayman GTS which was responsible for pushing me to order a GT4. Carmine on the cayman just looks so good!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Plate will be "PDKNO". I already have "NOPDK" on my 73 911 hotrod.
F PDK?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:52 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
F PDK?
if you can it past DMV sounds great
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if you can it past DMV sounds great
So, by now you should've picked it up. How is it? Do tell!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Default Delivery

Picked up car today and it truly is stunning. I feel very fortunate. Some quick thoughts as I've only put 75 miles on the car. The shift quality and clutch are perfect. Better than I expected and it dominates the driving experience. It is much, much better in all respects relative to the 997.2 GT3. My previous benchmark for manual transmissions was the S2000 I had 13 years ago and can't be sure without driving them back to back but the GT4's may shift even better than that. It's a wow.

There is some whine from the gearbox or clutch. Haven't heard that mentioned before and it's noticeable. Definitely transmission related as it goes away when you depress the clutch. The sounds sort of winds down over a few seconds after clutch is depressed. Can you get noise from a clutch? It's not the nicest sound but also not awful. You can hear when cruising on highway, once you give some throttle the engine sound drowns it out.

Engine sounds really good. Guttural and raspy. Very different in quality relative to the 991S I traded for the GT4. Lot's of intake noise.

Steering is lively and car feels light on it's feet. Didn't test it today but first impression is solid.

Acceleration feels good. Didn't go past 6k so can't truly tell but similar to 991S as you would expect. Curious what it's terminal velocity is on the back straight on my home track relative to my 991. Will find out soon enough.

The PCCB's are still bedding so I can't tell anything but they look wicked if that counts for anything.

Color is a personal choice but I'm very happy with my choice of Carmine and yellow stitched interior.

The satin black wheels are for me a perfect rim finish and much better than the glossy option on the GT3.

Some have mentioned the quality of the uprights on the rear spoiler. IMO (and I'm fussy) it feels solid and I see no need to reengineer. I saw them in both black and silver today. In black they look great. The sliver looks almost white from a distance and not good from up close. I'd avoid the silver.

If you do a red or yellow stitched interior splurge on the silly leather/stitched steering column. It looks worthy.

Second gear is LONG. you can cover a lot of you daily driving in second and third. I need more time to see if it bothers me or not. Car feels plenty peppy with current gear ratios but I bet it would feel even better with shorter gearing. Just not sure it's worth all of the hassle and warranty liability.

Design of car is really solid. The GT3 front bumper combined with the side intakes and wing with rear diffuser is worthy. It has a presence equal to the GT3's.

I was planning on putting on the motorsports side Porsche script and center stripe but the car looks so good as is I'm not sure what to do. I'm open to any opinions on adding any graphics and if so side script or center stripe or both. Going for clear bra Saturday so need to decide by then. I believe this is a first world problem but it's one of those stupid decisions that will bother me until I make a decision.

While at the dealership they had two cars in Lava Orange and I didn't love it. Looks completely different than any picture I have seen. It's an unsaturated color with little pop. Happy it wasn't an option for the GT4 as I might have ordered it which would have been a mistake. They had a viper green Turbo S cab which looked wicked. Viper green is a worthy color if somebody is doing paint to sample. I think that would look solid on a GT4.

Saw two white GT4's waiting for delivery. The white looked better with black rims and uprights than with the lighter rims and uprights. Was surprised the vast difference in presence between the two cars.

Porsche pulled the LWB's from my build which caused me much grief. I wen't with the standard sport seats and it works fine. With the yellow stitch the interior still looks very special. The standard seats are easier to get in/out of as I'm using this as my daily driver and track car. I had the 18 ways in my 991 and I think the base seats are just as comfortable for me. I found the adjustable side and thigh bolsters a waste on the 18 ways as they didn't hold me better in the seat just pushed me out of it. I have spent some seat time in the LWB in my friends GT3 and they are comfortable to me and look more special than the standard seats. I think the choice is more of a want than need. So if Porsche pulled your LWB's as well, it will be ok.

Will post more thoughts as I have more time to get to know the car. Looking forward to that clutch and shifter for my am commute.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Default Delivery picts

Carmine is interesting color as it looks very different depending on lighting. Look at gradient change in the showroom pict from the front to back of car.
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
Old 07-28-2015, 01:03 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

This time next year I want to experience the same joy as you are now.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 123 Posts

There is some whine from the gearbox or clutch. Haven't heard that mentioned before and it's noticeable. Definitely transmission related as it goes away when you depress the clutch. The sounds sort of winds down over a few seconds after clutch is depressed. Can you get noise from a clutch? It's not the nicest sound but also not awful. You can hear when cruising on highway, once you give some throttle the engine sound drowns it out.
Thanks for the impressions. The whine is likely just gear whine. I have it in my Lotus too...comes from the lack of sound deadening. When I'm in a sporting mood, makes the car feel like more of an event / focused / race car. Yes, I am a child inside.

I see you intend to DD the car. Does the car seem livable enough for that? I think the hardest part of DD-ing this car is the lack of front lift.

I think the motorsport script looks good on white cars (and cars not used for DD), but on your beautiful color, I'd keep it as is.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:21 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
Thanks for the impressions. The whine is likely just gear whine. I have it in my Lotus too...comes from the lack of sound deadening. When I'm in a sporting mood, makes the car feel like more of an event / focused / race car. Yes, I am a child inside.

I see you intend to DD the car. Does the car seem livable enough for that? I think the hardest part of DD-ing this car is the lack of front lift.

I think the motorsport script looks good on white cars (and cars not used for DD), but on your beautiful color, I'd keep it as is.
I have a 73 911 hot rod with a custom Guard gear set that whines like a cup car. That is a nicer sound to my ear than the GT4 sound. I like the sounds in my 73 in the GT4 it is of minor issue.

I live in Florida so approach angles are of rare concern. the occasional steep parking lot drive way but nothing severe.

My friend and I (who has a 991 GT3 and had a 997.2 GT3) rode down in my 991 and back up in my GT4. We commented on way down that the ride back up would likely be very different. Same roads so good comparison. We both found the GT4 surprisingly compliant and comfortable. No harshness over expansion joints. I'd have no issues commuting in it. If you live in a northern city with large potholes and bad streets then this car will be less than ideal as a DD. It doesn't beat you up at all. As a perk it really feels special.

Thanks for thoughts on script, still thinking.

This is my 73 that is much more raw than the cayman ever will be. I drive this to work twice a week if weather is cooperative. No sounds insulation anywhere. No radio, no a/c. Twin plug 3.2L motorsports build motor. 305 HP and 262 ft lb torque in a 2200 lb car.
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 123 Posts

Gorgeous '73. I am in a similar boat, as my long-term keeper is a '05 Lotus Elise (but with nowhere near the power as yours!). I have to deal with a lot of ramps where in live, so still evaluating that aspect of the car...
Old 07-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carmine is interesting color as it looks very different depending on lighting. Look at gradient change in the showroom pict from the front to back of car.
Both cars are very nice.
I can't tell for sure from the pics but did you get the smooth leather option on the steering wheel and gear lever?
I went with the smooth leather option because I had a car with the Alcantara steering wheel and the alcantara after a while gets matted down with the oils from your hands, and is kind of a maintenance item that I wanted to avoid this time around.
Regarding the graphics, I think if I were you I would pass on them.
I think the only cars the graphics look good on are white and black cars.
My friend told me that upon first start up the exhaust is quite loud as the engine revs pretty high when first started, do you find the same thing?
Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:42 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Both cars are very nice.
I can't tell for sure from the pics but did you get the smooth leather option on the steering wheel and gear lever?
I went with the smooth leather option because I had a car with the Alcantara steering wheel and the alcantara after a while gets matted down with the oils from your hands, and is kind of a maintenance item that I wanted to avoid this time around.
Regarding the graphics, I think if I were you I would pass on them.
I think the only cars the graphics look good on are white and black cars.
My friend told me that upon first start up the exhaust is quite loud as the engine revs pretty high when first started, do you find the same thing?
Enjoy.
Did get the leather wheel and shifter. feels great. the new wheel is nice upgrade over the 991S sport one.

Thanks for opinion on graphics. the car does bark to life on initial cold start. sport the louder exhaust mode sounds so good I'll prob leave it set on that.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Enjoy.
Porsche uses vacuum controlled exhaust butterfly valves to turn on/off the sport mode sound in the exhaust. If the valve is closed, the short path is blocked and the exhaust runs through more chambers in the muffler, making it quieter.

For some reason, the default mode on the ones that I have services/seen is open - which means when the engine is first started, and has no vacuum reserve (say cold start in the morning) there is a brief instant where the car is running and not enough vacuum has been generated and/or the valves are not that quick, and you get a bit of a louder exhaust before the valves close and it goes quiet again. That might be what you are hearing, not sure.

If the car is restarted when warm, there is a vacuum reservoir that will allow the valves to close quicker.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a 73 911 hot rod with a custom Guard gear set that whines like a cup car. That is a nicer sound to my ear than the GT4 sound. I like the sounds in my 73 in the GT4 it is of minor issue.

I live in Florida so approach angles are of rare concern. the occasional steep parking lot drive way but nothing severe.

My friend and I (who has a 991 GT3 and had a 997.2 GT3) rode down in my 991 and back up in my GT4. We commented on way down that the ride back up would likely be very different. Same roads so good comparison. We both found the GT4 surprisingly compliant and comfortable. No harshness over expansion joints. I'd have no issues commuting in it. If you live in a northern city with large potholes and bad streets then this car will be less than ideal as a DD. It doesn't beat you up at all. As a perk it really feels special.

Thanks for thoughts on script, still thinking.

This is my 73 that is much more raw than the cayman ever will be. I drive this to work twice a week if weather is cooperative. No sounds insulation anywhere. No radio, no a/c. Twin plug 3.2L motorsports build motor. 305 HP and 262 ft lb torque in a 2200 lb car.
Great looking car. What are you doing to your fan to keep it looking super. On my '72 many years ago I polished it. I've had my '83 SC fan media blasted and it looked great for a time but there is so much dust in the Texas air that now the edges look almost pitted. Suggestions

Quick Reply: Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.