Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPDK
Radar detector install after work. Going to hardwire Val 1 into OBD port with savvy module and right angle adaptor so it clears the cover. Will put main unit under the aluminum bar behind the seats. Should have good line of sight. Accessory module on steering column or may put up at base of drivers A pillar. With some trim tools should be able to get all of the wiring to tuck out of sight.
All the kids on the block are using Waze which lets users report where the fuzz are
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Val 1 install

Val 1 installed with Savvy OBD mounting kit. Was expecting OBD port to be in fuze box like on 991. It is actually directly above the dead pedal. The Savvy module hangs down further that I liked so I used a right angle low profile OBD extension cable to run the Savvy box into the panel around the drivers side foot well. You can pull the trim panel off of the fuze box area exposing some dead space to tuck wires. The Val 1 was mounted behind the seats on the bulkhead under the aluminum bar. Looks to have good line of sight both ways and is blends in well with the black plastic below. I used 3M dual lock to secure it. Val 1 comes with the original style of dual lock which is very high profile. On amazon I found their new low profile version which is nicer. Ran wire through trim around to drivers side sill and to fuze box in drivers footwell. Had about 1cm to spare of VAL 1 OEM cable length so you need to be economical in the route you choose. I’ve tried regular telephone cables in the past and have had problem with them working properly with the Val 1. When I called their tech support this was a know problem to them. I then used a telephone splitter on the Savvy accessory port to connect both the bluetooth module and the accessory display. I programed in a custom set of Ka sweeps focused on the 3 police bands rather than scanning the entire Ka spectrum. This filters out some potential false alarms and increases the sensitivity of the unit to the danger spots in the spectrum. I played with a number of locations for the accessory display and ended up back on the steering column as I did on my 991. Didn’t like look on dash towards windshield and mounting in the cigarette lighter area doesn’t makes sense as it is out of line of sight. On my 991 I built a platform to install the module but this time I simply mounted it at an angle with the dual lock. I can see all of the bands and arrows and it doesn’t block the dash display at all.

Since Porsche didn’t release the steering wheel yellow stripe until after my build locked I did my own.

As of now I am thinking of doing the motorsports center strip only and holding off on the side script. I'm sure I'll change my mind 50 times before saturday.

Booked for nano coat on paint end of next week.
Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

wow, never thought I would want the steering column case in leather but from the pics it looks very nice.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of tape did you end up using on the steering wheel?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:15 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
wow, never thought I would want the steering column case in leather but from the pics it looks very nice.
Agreed. Looks great.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I second that. Looks great!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
What kind of tape did you end up using on the steering wheel?
It's surgical autoclave tape used for banding instruments. Still can get tacky in hot car so I'm hoping will hold up once I put in the ceramic tint.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

To answer a previous question. OEM aluminum pedals with wet feet is non issue. No slip and felt secure.

I did the optional gas cap. It looks great but feels like the cheapest toy plastic imaginable.

Car feels really solid in structure. There is 1 section of my commute where the road washboards and my 991S would have a few rattles and feel perturbed. Was curious how the GT4 would do over this section and it's unfazed. No rattles and the suspension handles this surface much better than the 991's did. I'm surprised as I expected it to be worse in the GT4.

Clearbra and tint tomorrow. Still can't decide on the motorsport graphics.

Standard base seats continue to impress. Definitely more comfortable than my 18 way sport seats in 991. Don't know why but the lumbar support is better and the bolsters feel more secure. Day by day I am less sad having by not having the LWB's.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Would love to hear your comparison between your gt4 and 991s. Currently making the exact same switch.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPDK
I did the optional gas cap. It looks great but feels like the cheapest toy plastic imaginable.

Standard base seats continue to impress. Definitely more comfortable than my 18 way sport seats in 991. Don't know why but the lumbar support is better and the bolsters feel more secure. Day by day I am less sad having by not having the LWB's.
You mean the gas cap is not aluminum but plastic?
I tried the LWB seats and found them uncomfortable.
I also prefer the standard seats to the 18 ways, better lumbar support and much cheaper and less to go wrong.
Enjoy.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
You mean the gas cap is not aluminum but plastic?
Yes, that's why it's called an "aluminum look" gas cap.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
They will tell you it's all about weight savings 😔
Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I was so close to specing it because it looks like a work of art.
Glad I didn't waste my money.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
They will tell you it's all about weight savings 😔
ROTFLMAO
Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

one good thing about the gas cap is that if it were real aluminum it would scratch the paint if it slipped and fell. Other than that it is painfully cheap feeling.

Quick Reply: Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.