Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
A few laps from this weekend's event. It was hot and the times aren't anything spectacular. The car is definitely capable of getting under a 2:20 with a real driver. I turned the power down substantially because I was concerned about the 100F + temps and the long straights but the Colonel ran like a top!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTWKM836hA
Awesome vid! Truly one of the beat things about this car is it’s ability in the hands of a good driver to pass some much higher HP track orientated cars.

It also helps with a 4.0 X51!
Old 06-08-2018, 12:48 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 593 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Holy Sh@$#!!!!!! NIce.....you are not making it easy for me to stop modding the GT4!
BTW...which tires were you using? How did they cope witht heat heat? Pretty similar to how we track the whole year down here.
The car is on Pirelli Pzero slicks that are about 4 months old and ran the entire event in March BUT they still had plenty of grip for my liking! I'm starting the pressures as low as 17psi to come up to 28psi and in order to do so you have to stay off the curbs for the first few laps.

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
John... that was some awesome driving!
You were killing it out there.
Well done Sir!
Thank you! That was my 2nd time at COTA - i need more laps! I only did 2 sessions Saturday and 2 on Sunday morning. There's more speed out there for sure. There have been other GT4s lapping that quickly in cooler temps at COTA but that weekend it was hot and the times were 3 - 4 seconds off what folks normally run there so i think a 2:20 and below is definitely possible especially in the hands of a proper shoe and not a guy who just plays one on TV.

Originally Posted by Buteo

Awesome vid! Truly one of the beat things about this car is it’s ability in the hands of a good driver to pass some much higher HP track orientated cars.

It also helps with a 4.0 X51!
Thank you! The biggest thing i notice is the power in the top of 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I have the tune turned down substantially and in most areas i was shifting at 7K to 7.3K RPM. The car in cold temps revving to 7800 prob makes another 30 rwhp.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

John - how come i don't drive like that? i want my money back!!
Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 AM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

You must do a lot of deep sea fishing in Florida, it seems you had no trouble whatsoever reeling in pretty much everything you came across!
Excellent driving & amazing car. Are you running the stock gears? Your motor was still kicking butt being dialed down. : )
Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 PM
ShinAsurada
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a few questions here for bgb so please bear with me. I decided to ask here because I'm pretty sure there are Californians who can benefit from the answers.

So, how much hp gain will I possibly be looking at if I want it run the entire stock exhaust system, but have the x51 + 4.0 stroker done? (Assuming CA 91 Octane)

Will the car pass CA smog? (Readiness flags ). Are the CELs turned off by virtue of the sensors giving it an passing reading or are the lights just turned off?

​​​​I understand the the cobb is used at this point but is the Ehressmann a more solid option in terms of reliabilty? Which is a more forgiving/versatile tune ?(working over a wider range of temperatures and atmospheric conditions we've seen temps of 117F in CA recently)

Also, do you have your customers buy the kit from suncoast or do you do modifications to the parts used(port and polish)? I may buy the kit now and have the mods installed two years later after warranty ends just to make sure I end up not being able to find one.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2018, 01:17 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

^^^^ My questions, too, except for 93 octane fuel in the Northeast.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:34 PM
gulf911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi BGB,
What model / size P zero were you using?
Thank you!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:27 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by evil panda
John - how come i don't drive like that? i want my money back!!
Ha ha ha...i've been at it for a long time buddy! I got my competition license in 2001 after attending 2 DEs.

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
You must do a lot of deep sea fishing in Florida, it seems you had no trouble whatsoever reeling in pretty much everything you came across!
Excellent driving & amazing car. Are you running the stock gears? Your motor was still kicking butt being dialed down. : )
Thank you! The PDK gearing is stock. It's going to be a while before the PDK final drive gear is available. The tires help a lot though. I am sort of picking on freshmen so to speak because i'm on slicks but i am still driving around at about 80%.

Originally Posted by ShinAsurada
Got a few questions here for bgb so please bear with me. I decided to ask here because I'm pretty sure there are Californians who can benefit from the answers.

So, how much hp gain will I possibly be looking at if I want it run the entire stock exhaust system, but have the x51 + 4.0 stroker done? (Assuming CA 91 Octane)

Will the car pass CA smog? (Readiness flags ). Are the CELs turned off by virtue of the sensors giving it an passing reading or are the lights just turned off?

​​​​I understand the the cobb is used at this point but is the Ehressmann a more solid option in terms of reliabilty? Which is a more forgiving/versatile tune ?(working over a wider range of temperatures and atmospheric conditions we've seen temps of 117F in CA recently)

Also, do you have your customers buy the kit from suncoast or do you do modifications to the parts used(port and polish)? I may buy the kit now and have the mods installed two years later after warranty ends just to make sure I end up not being able to find one.

Thanks
I will see if i can answer these without missing anything. My numbers are more conservative than others when it comes to the power gain/loss from the exhaust but let's assume it's a peak number of 15rwhp from a set of race headers without cats vs. the OE manifolds with cats. In certain parts of the rev range that number could be as much as 25 rwhp but let's keep things on a peak basis. The car in that video is running a stock PSE rear muffler section so that keeps things on an apples to apples basis. The car will pass smog as none of the readiness monitors are turned off when running the OE manifolds and not running a race exhaust. In fact, Cobb does not turn off readiness monitors - they just have a feature for race car owners that turns off the request for the Check Engine Light for race cars that are for off-road purposes and don't run cats. I am currently working with Cobb to add another air flow table so that the ECU is 100% happy about its digesting more than the standard amount of air intended for a stock GT4 engine. The Ehresmann solution resolves this already. Both the Cobb and the Ehresmann solution are great tunes but the tune from Germany is encrypted and can't be massaged by anyone in the U.S. That's the biggest difference among the two. If you decide to go with a 4.0L down the road and start with just the Stage II X51 upgrade now, the ECU would have to be sent back to Germany. This is all rather easy though as I still have a very good relationship with the folks in Germany.

Originally Posted by 9elheven
^^^^ My questions, too, except for 93 octane fuel in the Northeast.
The above reply would cover you as well. The two issues with putting any better flowing product on a Cayman is that when the exhaust is less restrictive (100 cel vs 200 cel) it throws a fault for a variance between the pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors that are expecting to see a very standard variance based on an OE catalytic converter. The same is true for the IPD plenum; if you add the larger throttle body and the engine notices that it's digesting more air, it's going to trigger a fault for an implausible MAP/MAF volume. Once i'm successful with the new tables and can tell the ECU what to expect, there will be zero concerns. if you're worried about what to do on the exhaust front, we recommend sticking with a 200 cell catalytic converter when the time comes. We recommend catless race headers IF AND ONLY IF you're going on the race track. Even an OE catalytic converter cannot handle the race track environment...that much we have proven repeatedly over the last few years.

Originally Posted by gulf911
Hi BGB,
What model / size P zero were you using?
Thank you!
We run a 265/645/18 up front and a 305/660/18 rear in the Pirelli Pzero slick race rubber; it's by far and away the stickiest rubber you will ever get your hands on.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 AM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks, John!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9elheven
Thanks, John!
I forgot two points:
1.) We purchase the Power Kit from the dealership and sell them to the customer but lately they're getting harder and harder to obtain. I purchased the last one in inventory worldwide because i got nervous. I am not sure when another will become available.
2.) Any Porsche with an IPD plenum will have the same restraints going through smog as a 4.0L X51 GT4. If you have stock manifolds, your O2 faults are gone; if you have the IPD, you're digesting more air than normal just as the larger displacement motor does. In the case of a 4.0L GT4 with or without X51, since it's the same engine case, it's the same motor and doesn't qualify as an engine swap.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 914 Posts

I forgot two points:
1.) We purchase the Power Kit from the dealership and sell them to the customer but lately they're getting harder and harder to obtain. I purchased the last one in inventory worldwide because i got nervous. I am not sure when another will become available.
They are getting harder to get as PAG will be using all the ones left for the next GT4!!!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 914 Posts

We run a 265/645/18 up front and a 305/660/18 rear in the Pirelli Pzero slick race rubber; it's by far and away the stickiest rubber you will ever get your hands on.
I use the same combo with 19x9/19x11 Forgelines.....you can't go wrong. I do buy scrub tires and they are more than OK for me at DE events.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

A few laps from this weekend's event. It was hot and the times aren't anything spectacular. The car is definitely capable of getting under a 2:20 with a real driver. I turned the power down substantially because I was concerned about the 100F + temps and the long straights but the Colonel ran like a top!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTWKM836hA
The turtles in turns 3/4/5 are gone now?? Last Nov at the Schnellfest if you rode those curbs you'd lose substantial parts off of the bottom of your car.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:10 PM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scanned through this entire thread but has anyone who already has exhaust mods, done a before and after review of IPD/TB swap?
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 517 Posts

Good question.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!