The following users liked this post:
Rick DeMan (02-11-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:47 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

NOW for something that may or may not be an upgrade for the street BUT it's something that i made to try and address the single biggest engine holdback for a Cayman vs. the 911. Porsche issued an intake upgrade for the Clubsport for $6200 that was a nicely 3-D printed intake that was mated to a 992 GT3 airbox. We went ahead and made our own for the 981. Again, it's something that you will want your shop to install but over the next week we will be listing pricing, availability AND taking orders. This was good enough to reduce the IATs on the 4.2L PDK Colonel Mustard to within 5F of the ambient. On the race car we are seeing an additional 2 - 3 mph on the straights from this intake now that the car is not sucking hot air!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-04-2020 at 12:26 AM.
ekam (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 11:53 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

When will the intake go into official production? I’m definitely interested! Is there an engine cover for it since I daily drive my car?
nhnguy12 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

So you're preempting porsche with what they're putting in the GT4RS? Nice.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:09 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by user1029
When will the intake go into official production? I’m definitely interested! Is there an engine cover for it since I daily drive my car?
I have enough parts to have 5 kits assembled at the moment. 3 are spoken for and 2 are not! I have pricing as well. I just need to finish the walkthrough!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So you're preempting porsche with what they're putting in the GT4RS? Nice.
I'm anxious to find out if the car we have seen was a GT4RS test mule for the window intakes OR if that's what's actually coming on the RS. If it's the latter, i'm excited because i want to see what they do to the road car for that application. This is basically something we made to offer folks with DE / race cars that don't want to shell out $6500 for the factory kit. I have a road car version prototype as well with drains, etc that will have a template to get any water out of the cabin. Right now on the factory race car rain water runs into the tubing and then drains out of the box onto the bare floor. Our kit drains it out the bottom from the factory drains!
Old 09-18-2020, 02:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have enough parts to have 5 kits assembled at the moment. 3 are spoken for and 2 are not! I have pricing as well. I just need to finish the walkthrough!I'm anxious to find out if the car we have seen was a GT4RS test mule for the window intakes OR if that's what's actually coming on the RS. If it's the latter, i'm excited because i want to see what they do to the road car for that application. This is basically something we made to offer folks with DE / race cars that don't want to shell out $6500 for the factory kit. I have a road car version prototype as well with drains, etc that will have a template to get any water out of the cabin. Right now on the factory race car rain water runs into the tubing and then drains out of the box onto the bare floor. Our kit drains it out the bottom from the factory drains!
They didn't put those grills there for fake looks Ford mustang style.. and the latest mules with even more extended intakes clearly imply that they're trying to take in more air.. you're on to something clearly.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

I have enough parts to have 5 kits assembled at the moment. 3 are spoken for and 2 are not! I have pricing as well. I just need to finish the walkthrough!

I'm anxious to find out if the car we have seen was a GT4RS test mule for the window intakes OR if that's what's actually coming on the RS. If it's the latter, i'm excited because i want to see what they do to the road car for that application. This is basically something we made to offer folks with DE / race cars that don't want to shell out $6500 for the factory kit. I have a road car version prototype as well with drains, etc that will have a template to get any water out of the cabin. Right now on the factory race car rain water runs into the tubing and then drains out of the box onto the bare floor. Our kit drains it out the bottom from the factory drains!
Could it be that PAG figured out how to make those covered storage cubbys (that nobody I know ever uses) under the rear window useful by channeling the air that way into the existing side intakes and thereby use the existing drain holes. That would solve the certification issue and make for a cleaner way to get the cooler air to the intake for a production, street legal version.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Martin Anders
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys, i am wondering if we are having actual confirmed numbers as to engine HP gains from the various mods + list of "best bang for buck" mods? Ideally even 60-120mph driftbox/dragy numbers before and after certain mods.

My current understanding - best bang for buck:

1) Headers (about 20+ HP catted, 40 dundon race headers) -> Midrange and torque dip 80% eliminated
2) Headers + Protune (30-40 HP) -> Midrange and torque dip 95% eliminated
3) IPD + gt3 TB (very little hp and tq gains by itself, potentially better in low rev range)
4) Lightweight Single Mass Flywheel - faster revving => better acceleration
5) Dundon Intake Runners (20-50+ HP + 100+HP at close to rev limiter -> reaching gt3 style climb of power into rev limiter - works better with IPD/TB in place)

High HP and TQ gains then with high investments north of 20k USD:
x51 kit, 4.0 or 4.25l engine conversions etc.

would be interested in your opinion and actual numbers (not just dyno charts, but also those)
xller8 (10-18-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

I
I'm anxious to find out if the car we have seen was a GT4RS test mule for the window intakes OR if that's what's actually coming on the RS. If it's the latter, i'm excited because i want to see what they do to the road car for that application.
More finished that what I saw at Weissach 2 1/2 years ago on the RS mule.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ExMB
Could it be that PAG figured out how to make those covered storage cubbys (that nobody I know ever uses) under the rear window useful by channeling the air that way into the existing side intakes and thereby use the existing drain holes. That would solve the certification issue and make for a cleaner way to get the cooler air to the intake for a production, street legal version.
That's what I'm waiting for. I figured the path of least resistance and the only way to not cannibalize useful trunk space would be to get it from there and get it down into the engine bay via those cubbies that are useless except for hiding road trip snacks! or they're gonna block off the trunk and do fancy carbon versions of what we have on the race car.

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
More finished that what I saw at Weissach 2 1/2 years ago on the RS mule.
Ahhh yes...who can forget the day you visited and turned the 718 GT4 forum world on its head!?

Originally Posted by Martin Anders
Hey guys, i am wondering if we are having actual confirmed numbers as to engine HP gains from the various mods + list of "best bang for buck" mods? Ideally even 60-120mph driftbox/dragy numbers before and after certain mods.

My current understanding - best bang for buck:

1) Headers (about 20+ HP catted, 40 dundon race headers) -> Midrange and torque dip 80% eliminated
2) Headers + Protune (30-40 HP) -> Midrange and torque dip 95% eliminated
3) IPD + gt3 TB (very little hp and tq gains by itself, potentially better in low rev range)
4) Lightweight Single Mass Flywheel - faster revving => better acceleration
5) Dundon Intake Runners (20-50+ HP + 100+HP at close to rev limiter -> reaching gt3 style climb of power into rev limiter - works better with IPD/TB in place)

High HP and TQ gains then with high investments north of 20k USD:
x51 kit, 4.0 or 4.25l engine conversions etc.

would be interested in your opinion and actual numbers (not just dyno charts, but also those)
I can give you my guesstimate about crank numbers but all I have is dyno data from our dyno and dynos other customers have visited. Those numbers you mention are peak gains used for marketing purposes. Using conservative, real world, repeatable numbers and without differentiating between what mods make torque and which ones don't, the gains are as follows.

A tune at the crank is worth 13ish,
Headers are worth 15ish without cats and half as much with cats.
Larger TB is worth about 6-7 over 5K RPM,

Additional crank data that I have been able to back up on my dyno using a 12.5% drivetrain loss is as follows.

Outside of tuning and mods, basic bore and stroke increases to your Porsche air pump are as follows. A 3.8L is a bore increase over a 3.4L and makes an additional 40hp and 25 lb/ft over a 3.4L. An engine stroked further to 4.0L makes another 25 lb/ft of torque and close to 10hp. A 4.2L makes another 40hp and 25 lb/ft. An X51 Power Kit with CNC porting makes an additional 30HP at the crank.

Without sounding overly conceited or confident, I don't agree with anything that contradicts those numbers. Every single one of those motors we have built dynos out on our dyno and other peoples' Dynojets within 5hp of each other. Porsche builds great engines but if you want real proven numbers, there you go! No extra creme or sugar in the coffee!
The following 3 users liked this post by BGB Motorsports:
ajw45 (09-24-2020), Crazy Eddie (09-24-2020), spinedoc513 (07-25-2022)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

^^^^^

Martin - this is good advice and BGB/Dundon seem to be highly rated by all on Rennlist. In Europe Ehresmann is well regarded too.

i have done headers, tune and a GT3 exhaust conversion.

measured baseline on a dyno dynamics peak was 346 hp.

post mods 382hp.

dyno is independent and did not supply the tune, kit or fit it.

i am assuming that my 10k stock GT4 is still putting out standard crank of 380.

so 420hp after mods?

I have the after dyno chart but cant find the before chart which is irritating to say the least.

35hp c 10% great for a NA engine and the tune has sorted the dips in the torque curve.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:58 AM
Martin Anders
Advanced

Originally Posted by Snowy999
^^^^^

Martin - this is good advice and BGB/Dundon seem to be highly rated by all on Rennlist. In Europe Ehresmann is well regarded too.

i have done headers, tune and a GT3 exhaust conversion.

measured baseline on a dyno dynamics peak was 346 hp.

post mods 382hp.

dyno is independent and did not supply the tune, kit or fit it.

i am assuming that my 10k stock GT4 is still putting out standard crank of 380.

so 420hp after mods?

I have the after dyno chart but cant find the before chart which is irritating to say the least.

35hp c 10% great for a NA engine and the tune has sorted the dips in the torque curve.

thanks for the info. that would be about 40+ HP (probably 10 being driven by race header + gt3 muffler vs PSE).

did you think about intake headers or IPD/Plenum?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:01 AM
Martin Anders
Advanced

That's what I'm waiting for. I figured the path of least resistance and the only way to not cannibalize useful trunk space would be to get it from there and get it down into the engine bay via those cubbies that are useless except for hiding road trip snacks! or they're gonna block off the trunk and do fancy carbon versions of what we have on the race car.

Ahhh yes...who can forget the day you visited and turned the 718 GT4 forum world on its head!?

I can give you my guesstimate about crank numbers but all I have is dyno data from our dyno and dynos other customers have visited. Those numbers you mention are peak gains used for marketing purposes. Using conservative, real world, repeatable numbers and without differentiating between what mods make torque and which ones don't, the gains are as follows.

A tune at the crank is worth 13ish,
Headers are worth 15ish without cats and half as much with cats.
Larger TB is worth about 6-7 over 5K RPM,

Additional crank data that I have been able to back up on my dyno using a 12.5% drivetrain loss is as follows.

Outside of tuning and mods, basic bore and stroke increases to your Porsche air pump are as follows. A 3.8L is a bore increase over a 3.4L and makes an additional 40hp and 25 lb/ft over a 3.4L. An engine stroked further to 4.0L makes another 25 lb/ft of torque and close to 10hp. A 4.2L makes another 40hp and 25 lb/ft. An X51 Power Kit with CNC porting makes an additional 30HP at the crank.

Without sounding overly conceited or confident, I don't agree with anything that contradicts those numbers. Every single one of those motors we have built dynos out on our dyno and other peoples' Dynojets within 5hp of each other. Porsche builds great engines but if you want real proven numbers, there you go! No extra creme or sugar in the coffee!

thank you for the great info and open and honest numbers - always much appreciated - some people tell you they get 40+ hp for the 3.8. via software only

am i correct, that some of your numbers are for 3.4 Boxster S/GTS as baseline, or are you referring to gt4/spyder?
did you hear or have experience with the intake runners (e.g. dundon intake runners run at around 4k usd uninstalled and promise to free up the top end - but need plenum/TB to work as preqrequisite.

would you recommend headers + tune for sure? (also sorting out the midrange throttle dip)
plenum/TB maybe on top, or not necessarily?
Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

I have managed to buy some intake runners second hand and IPD and the runners will go in during November.
Martin Anders (09-25-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I updated my 981 GT4 to a custom tune using Dundon intake runners, IPD plenum, and GT3 throttle body which resulted in ~377 HP to the wheels (baseline was about ~350 before mods).

This was with factory PSE and no other mods.

Makes it about 425HP using 12.5% driveline loss and a much smoother power curve from stock.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by Reborn996:
k3|th (09-24-2020), Martin Anders (09-25-2020)

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!