Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
John glad to hear there's a group buy coming ... please add me to the list as a remote/self install client* for the group1 (but I don't need cats)
? is the 991 gt3 intake the RS one or are they the same (or not materially impactful/effective)?

* unless you like many others are planning a trip down here to our picturesque roads and coast lines - I have a lift

https://youtu.be/1JWC7hn-RkE

Maybe this is the time to consider that vacation I've been planning for 15 years. There are all sorts of breaks i'd like to surf but I think I am allergic to Tiger and White Sharks. Do you have any repellant?!?!?

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Ah dang group buy for my dream upgrade package but I can't commit to it because I need to know what is happening with the next gen SPyder/GT4 and whether I will swap or not!
Originally Posted by NelsonF
Same boat!
I understand, no need to explain! If the Spyder / GT4 come out with a 4.0L from the factory lots of folks will want to jump into the new car and I understand that, believe me. If the car arrives with a 4.0L detuned, you can still send it to us to unlock with some tinkering! IF HOWEVER the new car comes with a 3.8L making around 430hp, then we can have a 3rd conversation!

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Sorry if this is a dense question but I am poorly educated and easily confused.

So I looked up Stage 1 on your website and see it's $10,000, seems to have a muffler, and includes installation and tuning at your shop (shipping the car to you not included).

But this post indicates Stage 1 is $7500-ish, doesn't include a muffler, and gets shipped for free to the customer for installation (by whom, exactly?).

Could you disambiguate that for me?

Thanks!
Never be afraid to ask questions...there are no dumb questions! Originally we offered this kit with a catback exhaust system which we have found to be worth another 10 - 12 hp but lots of folks seems to prefer to keep their original PSE muffler so we stopped bundling the kit with mufflers, just exhaust headers. The stock GT4 PSE exhaust system actually makes good power and the combination of the Cargraphic mated to it makes great sound so we decided to push the headers more and not the mufflers. That muffler system was around $2000 and required another 2 - 3 hours labor. The additional dollar difference is the labor we estimate of roughly 4 - 5 hours for the IPD/82mm throttle body & filter swap as well as the 3 - 4 hours roughly for the exhaust swap and this can be executed by any decent Porsche shop. The car does NOT have to come to us for a Stage I HOWEVER, folks have opted to do so because if the car is here, I have gone and done the custom tuning, loading of the Cobb AP and file revisions myself as opposed to having them do it on the street and send things back and forth. Most people in the southeast have decided to make the trip back and forth for Stage I as opposed to putting their Porsche shop in the middle.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Never be afraid to ask questions...there are no dumb questions! Originally we offered this kit with a catback exhaust system which we have found to be worth another 10 - 12 hp but lots of folks seems to prefer to keep their original PSE muffler so we stopped bundling the kit with mufflers, just exhaust headers. The stock GT4 PSE exhaust system actually makes good power and the combination of the Cargraphic mated to it makes great sound so we decided to push the headers more and not the mufflers. That muffler system was around $2000 and required another 2 - 3 hours labor. The additional dollar difference is the labor we estimate of roughly 4 - 5 hours for the IPD/82mm throttle body & filter swap as well as the 3 - 4 hours roughly for the exhaust swap and this can be executed by any decent Porsche shop. The car does NOT have to come to us for a Stage I HOWEVER, folks have opted to do so because if the car is here, I have gone and done the custom tuning, loading of the Cobb AP and file revisions myself as opposed to having them do it on the street and send things back and forth. Most people in the southeast have decided to make the trip back and forth for Stage I as opposed to putting their Porsche shop in the middle.

Thanks!
mmm, so the claimed hp (415 catted/430 race manifolds) is with the catback exhaust, or without it? thanks
Old 04-21-2018, 11:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by evil panda
mmm, so the claimed hp (415 catted/430 race manifolds) is with the catback exhaust, or without it? thanks
Those numbers are without! We have only done race exhaust systems for full blown track cars and those cars have shown the power over and above what i am quoting but since most are curious about headers + intake (filters/plenum/TB) + tuning, i only quote the 415/430 numbers WITHOUT mufflers. My numbers are super conservative numbers done on cars running 91 - 93 octane and since it's always hot down here, it's usually in the warmest conditions. The amount of power i can make from one of these cars running these mods in cold temperatures is ridiculous but once the ambient hits 70F and above a Cayman begins to digest air that is 20F over what is outside the car. On a 70F day your Cayman is digesting 90F air and on an 80F day, it's over 100F and that's where the computer begins to take over and negate everything we are doing. The delta between intake air temp and ambient air temp on a Cayman vs. a 911 still continues to be a big advantage for the rear engine 911.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:57 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Those numbers are without! We have only done race exhaust systems for full blown track cars and those cars have shown the power over and above what i am quoting but since most are curious about headers + intake (filters/plenum/TB) + tuning, i only quote the 415/430 numbers WITHOUT mufflers. My numbers are super conservative numbers done on cars running 91 - 93 octane and since it's always hot down here, it's usually in the warmest conditions. The amount of power i can make from one of these cars running these mods in cold temperatures is ridiculous but once the ambient hits 70F and above a Cayman begins to digest air that is 20F over what is outside the car. On a 70F day your Cayman is digesting 90F air and on an 80F day, it's over 100F and that's where the computer begins to take over and negate everything we are doing. The delta between intake air temp and ambient air temp on a Cayman vs. a 911 still continues to be a big advantage for the rear engine 911.
Calif CARB approved?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:07 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have contact in eastern canada to do the installation?
Old 04-21-2018, 08:28 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Old 04-21-2018, 11:40 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The nerd in me finds this fascinating. So is the air taking a longer trip in the mid-engine vs rear? That's what's heating it up? I'm familiar with how the air travels in the mid engine cars, but not the 911's.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:07 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
The nerd in me finds this fascinating. So is the air taking a longer trip in the mid-engine vs rear? That's what's heating it up? I'm familiar with how the air travels in the mid engine cars, but not the 911's.
Ditto. I am curious about that explanation as well!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Maybe this is the time to consider that vacation I've been planning for 15 years. There are all sorts of breaks i'd like to surf but I think I am allergic to Tiger and White Sharks. Do you have any repellant?!?!?

I understand, no need to explain! If the Spyder / GT4 come out with a 4.0L from the factory lots of folks will want to jump into the new car and I understand that, believe me. If the car arrives with a 4.0L detuned, you can still send it to us to unlock with some tinkering! IF HOWEVER the new car comes with a 3.8L making around 430hp, then we can have a 3rd conversation!

Thanks!
Question about the exhaust - it does not have the valve on off feature for more /less sound does it?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:42 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT4John
Ditto. I am curious about that explanation as well!
I tried to find a corresponding 911 photo that illustrates the intake routing but i could only find a decent one for the 981. As you can see in this photo, once your side ducts are fed the air comes into the engine bay and has to snake around a 90 degree turn where the filter is before it's fed into the throttle body. These plastic parts heat soak, especially as the car sits in traffic or on the grid waiting to go on track or in our case, pit road. That plastic retains heat and by the time 70 degree gets to your engine, it's roughly 20 degrees hotter.

A 911 on the other hand has an airbox right under the rear decklid and that air comes down the rear window into the airbox and right into the motor but the distance that it travels is much less so the amount of time for it to heat soak is less.

Even though the routing on the Cayman is longer, it's probably well designed given the space restrictions. The best thing for making power would be the shortest distance from the outside to the in so it had to travel less and could heat soak less. What makes matters worse is that as the Cayman breaths from a point 2 feet off the ground, it's sucking some rather hot air when you're racing wheel to wheel and door to door with competitors. Somewhere online are some photos of some trunk mounted air box systems we made for race cars to try and get air more like a 911 does. I'd have to dig them up.

981 2.7L/3.4L/3.8L

Question about the exhaust - it does not have the valve on off feature for more /less sound does it?
Cargraphic does in fact make a valved muffler system that maintains the functionality of your stock PSE valves and button. The headers do not affect the way the stock PSE behaves in any way shape or form. Leaving the stock PSE valves closed does in fact do a very good job of muffling the much louder race exhaust manifolds but we leave all of that in working order.

Originally Posted by gt3rs.
Do you have contact in eastern canada to do the installation?
How far east are we talking? I have some shops i know in the Toronto area and i can probably get a contact for something in the Montreal area. Further east than that i don't know of anyone though!
Old 04-22-2018, 03:09 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Thanks for the explanation. That made a lot of sense to even a layman like me. Perhaps one needs those kind of snorkel on roof setups to suck air in lol.

Thanks for the info on the Cargraphic exhaust as well. That sounds very appealing actually especially if it is a tad lighter and it unleashes more power out of the motor! One more thing added to the list!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

So, how effective is ceramic coating headers and exhaust at reducing temps in the engine bay and potentially maintaining power at higher ambient temperatures?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

How far east are we talking? I have some shops i know in the Toronto area and i can probably get a contact for something in the Montreal area. Further east than that i don't know of anyone though![/QUOTE]

Montreal is ok!!!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Montreal is a great city.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
So, how effective is ceramic coating headers and exhaust at reducing temps in the engine bay and potentially maintaining power at higher ambient temperatures?
To give John a hand here....if you use real insulating ceramic coating you do have some benefits but I have to stress the part of real-insulating coating, not a cosmetic coating.
At least the headers would benefit from the coating as you would be limiting the potential to introduce more heat into the engine bay.
The headers are nicely tucked on the side of the engine and while they do get some fresh air from below that only happens at speed and you still get some heat trapped....we all know that hot air rises so this hot air/heat gets trapped on the engine bay, nowhere to go on the mid-engine chassis (contrary to the 911)....think of an oven in Bake mode!!!! This just contributes to heat soak of intake parts. Also the plug coils get really hot during track sessions.
There's also the theory that containing heat on exhaust parts helps maintain the exhaust gas velocity, so in theory, you end up with a more efficient exhaust system.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!