Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryun43
They are so close to Jacksonville. I may just have to drop it off for a nice stage 3 ....so tasty
I'm also in Jacksonville, I'll definitely be stoping by once the GT4 gets here in June. Congrats on the GTS.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Jgarvish
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I hope the tb and plenum give some top end without the 4.0 which I'm not ready to do... The top end on the gt4 is truly lacking
Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Patiently waiting for more updates...
Old 02-29-2016, 12:03 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

First and foremost, thanks for all of the kind words and wishes to get well. I am on the mend. I'm still pinging and knocking but i'm getting there!

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
John, can you review what has been done to it from scratch. I know you have different stages but would like a rehash of this one. My ears are perked
Yes sir! I have actually completed the detailed offerings for my Stage I, II and III packages and will post them in this thread later today. Just as a quick summary, the car sits now as follows and I would call it a Stage II BUT without an LSD or cat-back mufflers:

STAGE I ITEMS:
- K&N Filters
- 82mm Throttle Body (NO IPD AS IT WON"T MATE TO X51 MANIFOLD)
- Cargraphic "Race" Manifolds without CATS

STAGE II ITEMS:
- 991 GTS/X51 Power Kit (Manifold, Cams & Heads)
- 12lb Aasco Flywheel & Sprung Hub Clutch Disc mated to OE Self Adjusting Pressure Plate
- ECU Re-Flash

Originally Posted by Ryun43
They are so close to Jacksonville. I may just have to drop it off for a nice stage 3 ....so tasty
Originally Posted by gac1077
I'm also in Jacksonville, I'll definitely be stoping by once the GT4 gets here in June. Congrats on the GTS.
Since you guys are close you need to come and visit the shop and we can go for a ride. Just bring bail money.

Originally Posted by n3rd
Patiently waiting for more updates...
Thanks. 1 week from today i will be on the dyno with the car. I drove it over the weekend but I've got faults for no cats and the mixture not being right but that's because it hasn't been tuned. I am parking the car now until we make a proper file for it next week. I do not want to dyno it because i know what the curve will look like and it won't be perfect and with the amount of people watching, first impressions are everything with my baby. The power is definitely there and the sound, from inside OR out is better than anything any of us have ever heard. It's rather awesome with the race manifolds mated to the PSE. As long as i keep the button off and as long as i don't go WOT, it's actually not that bad. If you so much as wood the gas pedal though, the car goes from moderate to ungodly loud.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I hope the tb and plenum give some top end without the 4.0 which I'm not ready to do... The top end on the gt4 is truly lacking
The plenum and TB will add top end, the flywheel helps things get spun up quicker in the lower gears and the race manifolds allow the thing to breathe up top like it was meant to breathe. The rationale at this point behind adding the 4.0L is to obtain the additional 20hp and 20lb/ft of torque. 20 lb/ft on this car would be awesome. It's not soft at all down below but torque is everything in this game.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Count me in... Jacksonville to BGB.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

So long as extra torque is added to the top end. There's enough down low, for excitement it needs a power curve that ramps up at the top instead of tapering off, not a general increase of the whole curve.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:51 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
So long as extra torque is added to the top end. There's enough down low, for excitement it needs a power curve that ramps up at the top instead of tapering off, not a general increase of the whole curve.
the reason behind going with the X51 was just this; the big intake manifold and ported heads have no taper up top like the stock car. In fact, I've noticed that when I drive the car the little orange dot defies the stock power curve on the power/torque graph on the cluster and sits way above everything and doesn't fall off.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
the reason behind going with the X51 was just this; the big intake manifold and ported heads have no taper up top like the stock car. In fact, I've noticed that when I drive the car the little orange dot defies the stock power curve on the power/torque graph on the cluster and sits way above everything and doesn't fall off.
Good old head port and polish. That is like Engine mods 101. Older than me...
Old 03-01-2016, 02:06 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports;13064722In fact, I've noticed that when I drive the car [B
the little orange dot defies the stock power curve [/B]on the power/torque graph on the cluster and sits way above everything and doesn't fall off.
ha! I hadn't thought of that! How does the orange dot get generated - some kind of speed vs weight calc? So I should be able to see similar if I add octane boost? Interesting! And reasonably scientific - although one can't really capture the dot vs chart before after ... unless maybe GoPro?! This is developing fast.

Last edited by HiWind; 03-01-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:18 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Yes, the GT4 should be great with the X51, John.

Any chance of a warranty like AC Schnitzer is offering on its M4 ACS4 conversion? To quote Evo, 'Liberating the additional power and torque is achieved through a separate "piggyback" ECU in series with the original unit. By doing it this way AC Schnitzer is confident enough to offer a standard two-year/60,000km (37,000-mile) warranty on all drivetrain components alongside the original manufacturer warranty, extendable to three years at extra cost.'

Obviously you're doing more than a remap but there are two downsides as with any mods: voiding the factory warranty and an investment that might not be reflected - perhaps even the opposite - come resale. A warranty would solve the first problem and might even give the cred to fix the second one.

Is there a way of getting the conversion done in France?

Last edited by turbofreeFLAT6; 03-01-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
So, I'll ask the obvious question - is there a dyno with just the X51 and intake manifold update?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:40 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Yes, the GT4 should be great with the X51, John.

Any chance of a warranty like AC Schnitzer is offering on its M4 ACS4 conversion? To quote Evo, 'Liberating the additional power and torque is achieved through a separate "piggyback" ECU in series with the original unit. By doing it this way AC Schnitzer is confident enough to offer a standard two-year/60,000km (37,000-mile) warranty on all drivetrain components alongside the original manufacturer warranty, extendable to three years at extra cost.'

Obviously you're doing more than a remap but there are two downsides as with any mods: voiding the factory warranty and an investment that might not be reflected - perhaps even the opposite - come resale. A warranty would solve the first problem and might even give the cred to fix the second one.

Is there a way of getting the conversion done in France?
I agree that a warranty would make it so much more palatable from a long term standpoint both on the 4.0L conversion and X51 heads

answer to your question: Name:  FqwZoiZ.png
Views: 30
Size:  461.2 KB
Old 03-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

*I'd* want more power down low-to-mid. I'd so much hope a tune could get rid of that
dip in torque we see in the graph between 2500 rpm and 4500 rpm.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:03 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
*I'd* want more power down low-to-mid. I'd so much hope a tune could get rid of that
dip in torque we see in the graph between 2500 rpm and 4500 rpm.
The headers will take care of this dip, which has a nadir at 3600rpm.. Lots of graphs from the different manufacturers show this... Not to mention, those of us who have installed headers will attest.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!