Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:03 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

This used to the best and most interesting thread on RL. Can we please hear some more about the BGB progress. Please.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:12 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

FINALLY...today is the day we can start re-assembly! My X51 Power Kit cams are due to arrive later this morning as well as my stock #4 piston from the manufacturer who will produce them for the 3.99L project. I have decided to finish this project in 2 phases so we can do a back to back test of Stage III (all bolt-ons & factory Porsche X51 parts) vs. the Stage IV 4.0L upgrade that will consist of everything. This will allow me to work on the mapping with these mods and then in 4 weeks when the pitons return, I will be able to back to back the existing iteration with the Stage IV 3.99L stroker kit.

People have inquired as to what is involved with these stage offerings and the best way to describe them would be as follows:

STAGE I:
ECU Upgrade
82mm Throttle Body & Plenum Upgrade
K&N Filter Upgrade
Cargraphic Manifold Upgrade (i went with race headers to achieve max power/torque but Sport Manifolds are perfectly acceptable for those that want cats)

STAGE II:
Lightweight Flywheel & Sprung Hub Clutch Disc
Cargraphic Cup Muffler / Sport Rear Silencer Set (thinking about adding these on next week but I need to control the spending so i haven't decided if they will make it to this build or down the road for Stage IV)

STAGE III:
991 GTS/X51 Aluminum Intake Manifold
991 GTS/X51 Intake Cams
991 GTS/X51 Ported Cylinder Heads
991 GTS/X51 Revised ECU Mapping for GT4

STAGE IV:
3.99L Crank Shaft
3.99L Pistons
3.99L Connecting Rods

I will follow up with information on pricing and I hope to have raw dyno power and torque figures for the Stage III package by this time next week. I will post an update at the end of day with how far we get. Given that the motor is literally torn down to the crank at this point and can't be disassembled any further, I am hopeful we will be assembled by the end of the day today but we may not get in the car til Monday.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:17 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
FINALLY...today is the day we can start re-assembly! My X51 Power Kit cams are due to arrive later this morning as well as my stock #4 piston from the manufacturer who will produce them for the 3.99L project. I have decided to finish this project in 2 phases so we can do a back to back test of Stage III (all bolt-ons & factory Porsche X51 parts) vs. the Stage IV 4.0L upgrade that will consist of everything. This will allow me to work on the mapping with these mods and then in 4 weeks when the pitons return, I will be able to back to back the existing iteration with the Stage IV 3.99L stroker kit. People have inquired as to what is involved with these stage offerings and the best way to describe them would be as follows: STAGE I: ECU Upgrade 82mm Throttle Body & Plenum Upgrade K&N Filter Upgrade Cargraphic Manifold Upgrade (i went with race headers to achieve max power/torque but Sport Manifolds are perfectly acceptable for those that want cats) STAGE II: Lightweight Flywheel & Sprung Hub Clutch Disc Cargraphic Cup Muffler / Sport Rear Silencer Set (thinking about adding these on next week but I need to control the spending so i haven't decided if they will make it to this build or down the road for Stage IV) STAGE III: 991 GTS/X51 Aluminum Intake Manifold 991 GTS/X51 Intake Cams 991 GTS/X51 Ported Cylinder Heads 991 GTS/X51 Revised ECU Mapping for GT4 STAGE IV: 3.99L Crank Shaft 3.99L Pistons 3.99L Connecting Rods I will follow up with information on pricing and I hope to have raw dyno power and torque figures for the Stage III package by this time next week. I will post an update at the end of day with how far we get. Given that the motor is literally torn down to the crank at this point and can't be disassembled any further, I am hopeful we will be assembled by the end of the day today but we may not get in the car til Monday.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This used to the best and most interesting thread on RL. Can we please hear some more about the BGB progress. Please.
+!

FINALLY...today is the day we can start re-assembly! My X51 Power Kit cams are due to arrive later this morning as well as my stock #4 piston from the manufacturer who will produce them for the 3.99L project. I have decided to finish this project in 2 phases so we can do a back to back test of Stage III (all bolt-ons & factory Porsche X51 parts) vs. the Stage IV 4.0L upgrade that will consist of everything. This will allow me to work on the mapping with these mods and then in 4 weeks when the pitons return, I will be able to back to back the existing iteration with the Stage IV 3.99L stroker kit.

People have inquired as to what is involved with these stage offerings and the best way to describe them would be as follows:

STAGE I:
ECU Upgrade
K&N Filter Upgrade
Cargraphic Manifold Upgrade (i went with race headers to achieve max power/torque but Sport Manifolds are perfectly acceptable for those that want cats)

STAGE II:
Cargraphic Cup Muffler / Sport Rear Silencer Set (thinking about adding these on next week but I need to control the spending so i haven't decided if they will make it to this build or down the road for Stage IV)

STAGE III:
991 GTS/X51 Intake Cams

STAGE IV:
3.99L Crank Shaft
3.99L Pistons
3.99L Connecting Rods

I will follow up with information on pricing and I hope to have raw dyno power and torque figures for the Stage III package by this time next week. I will post an update at the end of day with how far we get. Given that the motor is literally torn down to the crank at this point and can't be disassembled any further, I am hopeful we will be assembled by the end of the day today but we may not get in the car til Monday.
Makes sense!
I know you have a line of GT4's sitting out the door waiting to get the BGB treatment!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:12 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,058 Likes on 387 Posts

Awesome! Can't wait to see the results.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that the motor is literally torn down to the crank at this point and can't be disassembled any further, I am hopeful we will be assembled by the end of the day today but we may not get in the car til Monday.
Huh? You're taking the weekend off?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by otisdog
Huh? You're taking the weekend off?
Trust me...I am walking around the shop in circles while the boys re-assemble the motor. I would stay here all night by myself if i could put it in alone but it would probably result in my dropping the motor and probably someone finding it on top of me Monday morning.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,058 Likes on 387 Posts

Spike their drinks with Redbull!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Cocaine works best for enhanced performance engine-builds... We'll be here drinking our single-malts waiting with you.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:00 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChrisF
At this point it's just Sean and I left at the shop. The boys managed to crank out a 3.8L X51 Cayman R swap in 4.2 days this week and then were able to spend all day today on the GT4 motor; we got about 2/3 of the way through the assembly and are stopping for the evening. Monday we will be wrapped up. I had to run all over town looking for more flange sealant so we could have the proper RTV to put the engine case halves back together. I know i know...no one likes waiting...especially me but I'm closer now though than I've been in weeks! I know I said I wouldn't post more pics but I don't see anything incriminating in this photo. If you guys want to know what's behind that enormous oil pan on the bottom side of your motor and what's the reason for the vastly improved oil delivery on the DFI motor, i snapped a pic earlier this afternoon!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 02-19-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Never too many photos!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:23 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Go john go! I don't even have my GT4 yet and I want it to be out of warranty do I can mod it 😀
Old 02-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

STAGE I:
ECU Upgrade
K&N Filter Upgrade

STAGE II:

STAGE III:
991 GTS/X51 Intake Cams

STAGE IV:
3.99L Crank Shaft
3.99L Pistons
3.99L Connecting Rods

Awesome list. Sticking to warranty is looking dim.
List wise what about an LSD? Or I am blind and that was in there.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!