Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 03:11 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vince993tt
. Then two days in the North Georgia mountains.
North Georgia mountains? im jealous.
congrats
Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations, Vince. Glad to hear the steering feel is good. I am sure given time, Porsche will claw back all of the feeling of the past hydraulic setup.

Have you tried using Sport Plus mode? Does it do anything more than rev-matching, in spirited-driving conditions? I really hope it only does rev-matching so that I can put a duct-tape and hide it from sight!
Others have responded to this question already. But I will say that I did notice the dynamic engine mounts when in sport plus vs. just sport mode when on the mountain roads. It seemed to make the car/suspension feel tighter and more responsive. Pretty obvious, I would say. Now that I'm back in flat Florida, the difference isn't so noticeable. I would prefer that the rev matching not be tied to the engine mounts or anything else, so that I could use it only when I wanted to. I have years of practice with heel and toeing, and don't need the car to do it for me. I will say that it is a nice feature at times, when you feel lazy or just want to mess with it. But it would be better if it could be defeated. You do give up something with just Sport mode in terms of feel, especially if you have lots of curves and are driving at maybe 7/10s or more, so that isn't really the answer to me...unless you are just on the interstate or cruising around. Unless there is a mod to fix this, I'll probably just use sport plus, and deal with it. Sometimes, I feel like I am beating the software, when blipping myself. So maybe that is the answer...but it does make it difficult to tell whether it is you or the software.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:06 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by 981spyder
North Georgia mountains? im jealous.
congrats
Thanks. It was fantastic...and would've been even more so if I wasn't trying to hold to the engine break-in, with no more than 4500 rpm most times. But even with that, the car was fantastic on the very tight roads we drove. It never put a foot wrong, and handled some extremely challenging roads turn after turn perfectly. Steering very quick, as has been reported. Those roads really allow the Spyder to shine. Can't wait to take it back up there.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Mark, John. Here is an excerpt from Porsche's site:
When the SPORT PLUS button is pressed the trigger threshold for PSM is raised. The button also controls the dynamic transmission mounts. They minimize the oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain, especially the transmission. In doing so, the damping force and stiffness of the transmission mounts are adapted to driving style and road surface conditions.
When you press the SPORT PLUS button, revmatching downshifts make changing gear as emotional as it is perfect, for unfiltered driving enjoyment.

So, no, I don't think I care for transmission mounts. I will have to take same set of corners with and without Sport Plus and feel the difference. I will happily trade the transmission mounts for the pleasure of self rev-matching, every single time! For that matter, will trade "any" of the Spyder's features!
OK, how do I have SPORT PLUS on all the time?

I wonder if the stiffer mount setting will eliminate the wheel hop...
Old 11-26-2015, 09:03 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
Nice!!! Love the PCCB's, Leather Seat Backs and the Painted PCM!!!

The Leather Seat Backs are a must for the Sofas on the Spyder... The standard silver grey color is so out of place from the rest of the car.
I agree. I added the leather seat backs on my 991 GTS. after going back and forth on the decision, I realized I made the right choice once I saw the interior in person.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:38 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Others have responded to this question already. But I will say that I did notice the dynamic engine mounts when in sport plus vs. just sport mode when on the mountain roads. It seemed to make the car/suspension feel tighter and more responsive. Pretty obvious, I would say. ..

You do give up something with just Sport mode in terms of feel, especially if you have lots of curves and are driving at maybe 7/10s or more, so that isn't really the answer to me........

...but it does make it difficult to tell whether it is you or the software.
Thanks, Vince. That's a great explanation. I am guessing you meant 'tranmission mounts' not 'engine'. Self rev-matching is VERY important to me. It's the most essential part of the manual transmission, aside from having a clutch pedal. Until I find a solution (if I ever), I am going to put a blocking tape on Sport Plus and forget about it! It's a travesty for a purist!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:35 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Thanks, Vince. That's a great explanation. I am guessing you meant 'tranmission mounts' not 'engine'. Self rev-matching is VERY important to me. It's the most essential part of the manual transmission, aside from having a clutch pedal. Until I find a solution (if I ever), I am going to put a blocking tape on Sport Plus and forget about it! It's a travesty for a purist!
Yes...I guess that technically they are transmission mounts on this car. I thought they were referred to as engine mounts on my 14 CS, but they are at the rear adjacent to the transmission. In any case, I could certainly feel the difference between sport plus and sport when doing some fairly hard cornering, so I don't believe you'd want to be in sport mode only when driving aggressively. Just running around town or on the interstate, I doubt that you would notice. Not a huge deal for me, but for sure I would prefer that this rev match feature had its own separate switch, as on the GT4.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What difference are the dynamic transmission mounts supposed to make exactly??
Old 11-27-2015, 06:15 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
What difference are the dynamic transmission mounts supposed to make exactly??
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...earbox-mounts/
Old 11-27-2015, 07:00 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Ah ok. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

And can anyone actually feel it??
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Interestingly, even though this link applies to Caymans, it says the dynamic gearbox mount function is activated in both Sport and Sport Plus modes. If that applies to Spyders, then the only difference between Sport and Sport Plus modes would be rev-matching in Sport Plus versus not in Sport. It is unfortunate that the Spyder owners manual doesn't cover this specifically versus the generic wording for regular Boxsters.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:06 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it true that if I turn ESC off, the rev-matching turns off as well? I won't know what to do if I can't shift normally!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:55 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Yes...I guess that technically they are transmission mounts on this car. I thought they were referred to as engine mounts on my 14 CS, but they are at the rear adjacent to the transmission. In any case, I could certainly feel the difference between sport plus and sport when doing some fairly hard cornering, so I don't believe you'd want to be in sport mode only when driving aggressively. Just running around town or on the interstate, I doubt that you would notice. Not a huge deal for me, but for sure I would prefer that this rev match feature had its own separate switch, as on the GT4.
I hear ya. Let me play with it. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:02 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Interestingly, even though this link applies to Caymans, it says the dynamic gearbox mount function is activated in both Sport and Sport Plus modes. If that applies to Spyders, then the only difference between Sport and Sport Plus modes would be rev-matching in Sport Plus versus not in Sport. It is unfortunate that the Spyder owners manual doesn't cover this specifically versus the generic wording for regular Boxsters.
Here is the excerpt from that page:

.... The SPORT or SPORT PLUS button enables you to switch the dynamic gearbox mounts from ‘Normal’ to ‘Sport’ or ‘Performance’ mode. In conjunction with optional PCM, the TFT screen in the right-hand circular instrument enables you to view the lateral and longitudinal forces as they act on the vehicle......

It appears, SPORT button goes from 'Normal' to 'Sport'; SPORT PLUS goes from 'Sport' to 'Performance'. So, yes, dynamic mounts are enabled in both modes; but, the firmness level changes. As Vince confirmed, SPORT PLUS does make a difference, which indicates it went from 'Sport' to 'Performance'.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!