Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015 | 01:56 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skuplist
Porsche stated openly that their GT cars will stay naturally aspirated. Since the Spyder is not part of the GT program makes me wonder if there is a future Spyder or will it be with the new four cylinder turbo engines.
Spyder is loosely based on GT4 or somewhat aligns to it. In fact, Porsche dropped the ball (my view) by not making it simply a soft-top GT4. Someone on GT3 forum posted that AP (Andreas Preuninger) commented they should have done just that since GT4's suspension components simply bolt up (I am paraphrasing).

My speculation is that the next Spyder will nearly reflect GT4. So, in my crystal ball, the Spyder will remain NA as long as GT4, which will be at least one more cycle. After that, I expect them to go turbo.
Old 10-01-2015 | 02:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_rider
In fact, Porsche dropped the ball (my view) by not making it simply a soft-top GT4. Someone on GT3 forum
posted that AP (Andreas Preuninger) commented they should have done just that since GT4's suspension
components simply bolt up (I am paraphrasing).
Well, Andreas didn't say that the gt4's suspension 'simply bolt(s) up'.
But his remarks, so that we are more precise with the language
he carefully picked & used, was posted on this forum as well:

We have been having an interesting discussion at the gt3 forum on the talk that Andreas Preuninger, head of the
gt program at Porsche Motorports, had with us at the PCA Hospitality tent at Rennsport on Sunday Sept 27th at
1:30 PM:

You can find it at the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

And I am about to post there the following which I found of particular interest as a former 987 Boxster Spyder owner:

Question by Rennlister SmokinGTS:
"I was really hoping that the Boxster Spyder (981) would have the suspension & performance (of the gt4)...it was
a missed opportunity of setting that car (981 Boxster Spyder) up so that we would have the suspension & horsepower
(to track the car)...
"

Response by Andreas Preuninger:
"I understand your point. You might be right. There is a lot of synergy to be found if you do it to two cars which shares
components as many as possible. The thing is we started the gt4 program a little bit ahead of the Boxster Spyder and
we in Motorsports just didn't do open cars, you know...must of you know that these cars (points to the gt4) are developed
in Porsche Motorsports department and not in the standard (series) development department...we are one/tenth (of the
size in staff
) but the way of doing things is a little bit different sometimes, and the colleagues from the standard department
they had the capacity to do this Boxster Spyder and they had the idea...and I don't think a Spyder, a Boxster Spyder, is
a Motorsport product, to be frank, and that was what we were discussing when we started...

But now that we see that most of the Boxster Spyder customers are really, exactly, asking that question, that might have
been a mistake. And I think in future model, models, models...the Spyder & the gt4 will be a bit closer together regarding,
especially, the suspension...

And if our superiors make the decision that the Motorsports department is willing...is allowed to do an open version as well,
that is good, that would be good !(makes a motion with his hand of 'victory'). And I would like that!

Just wait a little while more, I know the Spyder, the Boxster Spyder, is not a track car...the gt car (turns to the gt4) is more
of that kind of a track car, but I think we are going to change that in the future, to be frank! (Applause from the audience)

We listen, most of us listen to our customers, that is why we will be stopping (to engage) in every conversations we can"

At this point the moderator, ex-PCA president Manny Alban, adds the following caution to the audience:
"But don't put that on Facebook...or Rennlist"

Andreas, smiling, interrupts him and says:
"It will be already there...in five minutes!
"

Well, it took a bit longer than five minutes, but the news is finally posted here on Rennlist where it belongs!
I wanted to carefully transcribe the recording as best I could to accurately represent what Andreas Preuninger
told us, in his own words & unfiltered, at this public gathering during Rennsport! And by reporting the story
using his exact language & the context in which it's used, it also allows you to better understand the present
thinking re: 'open cars' like the 981 Spyder at Porsche Motorsports...& how that might change in the future!

I believe this is a very important development if it comes to be!"

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015 | 02:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

did you know his right hand was broken?.. or at least, it got broken shortly after this talk? he was walking around shaking with the left saying he couldn't touch his right hand.

this is the kind of hard-hitting insider detail I provide.
Old 10-01-2015 | 03:09 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

But what about the engine? If the 911 is going turbo, then where does that leave the GT4 or Spyder... seems they are only touching on the suspension and how these two will be more closely twinned, but twinned with a turbo? I hate how something always better is around the corner Porsche, and this was the rare instance where I thought well this may be it, but who knows.
Old 10-01-2015 | 04:19 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z356
Well, Andreas didn't say that the gt4's suspension 'simply bolt(s) up'.
But his remarks, so that we are more precise with the language
he carefully picked & used, was posted on this forum as well:

Thanks, Eduardo. I haven't read this post before. Someone else posted a brief note, possibly paraphrashing what he heard. But, this is very detailed and lots of interesting nuggets.

Reading between the lines, I can make following interpretations:
- AP is in favor doing an open-top GT car. He just needs to sell it to his executive team.
- Next Spyder is very likely to be a GT car, possibly tied closely to GT4.
- They could even use the recently-trademarked GT5 moniker. But, doesn't matter what they call it!

I am hoping my interpretations would come to fruition. That would be very exciting. I am a big fan of GT cars; but, just can't drive a close-top car! I am a die-hard roadster guy. So, a Spyder from GT division would be just what I dream of! Roll on 981.2!
Old 10-01-2015 | 04:20 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
But what about the engine? If the 911 is going turbo, then where does that leave the GT4 or Spyder... seems they are only touching on the suspension and how these two will be more closely twinned, but twinned with a turbo? I hate how something always better is around the corner Porsche, and this was the rare instance where I thought well this may be it, but who knows.
Engine will stay NA for one more cycle (my view).
Old 10-02-2015 | 05:32 AM
www.964RS.net
Intermediate

I want a Boxster Spyder with black wheels in silver, but I am not sure
rodium or GT silver...

What do you think?
Old 10-02-2015 | 09:22 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by www.964RS.net
rodium or GT silver...

What do you think?
Colors are similar but GT is preferable to me.
Have you seen both in person?
Old 10-02-2015 | 09:57 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

rodium or GT silver...

What do you think?
Depends on if you want to spend and extra 2k on a "special" color. I went with Rhodium, and I saw the two side by side. Very close colors, but GT is darker - smokey, and Rhodium is brighter/lighter. Personally, I was more interested in PTS but couldn't get behind a specific color enough to justify the 5k expense and then the window closed so there went that.
Old 10-02-2015 | 10:31 AM
www.964RS.net
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Depends on if you want to spend and extra 2k on a "special" color. I went with Rhodium, and I saw the two side by side. Very close colors, but GT is darker - smokey, and Rhodium is brighter/lighter. Personally, I was more interested in PTS but couldn't get behind a specific color enough to justify the 5k expense and then the window closed so there went that.
both on a Spyder? Do you have a pic from it?

I only see an GT for 1s last week on the ring, I would like to
see it for longer...
Old 10-02-2015 | 01:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

rodium or GT silver...

What do you think?
Consider that the interior trim is painted GT silver if you order the red leather... I went with the classic red/silver combo so GT silver exterior paint made more sense for me.

Also, I saw a GT silver gt3 Rs at Rennsport last week and fell in love with the color.. Looks great with a lot of black trim, and black wheels
Old 10-02-2015 | 07:39 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

both on a Spyder? Do you have a pic from it?

I only see an GT for 1s last week on the ring, I would like to
see it for longer...
LOL, no. The only Spyder I've seen was at the NY auto show and it was white. I saw GTsilver on a Turbo S and on a 918 Spyder, and I saw the Rhodium on a 911 but still couldn't get a handle on them and SA was pushing the GTsilver and downplaying the rhodium as light blue, so then to get a real side by side we put a rhodium paint sample on top of the TurboS and then it became clear to me that Rhodium would work for my needs. I don't want a dark car and GTsilver is darker - my last to were black. I want a cool temp car, white was my preference, but you lose the shape and the Spyder is so shapely, so silver was my compromise.
Old 10-05-2015 | 04:53 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Is that rear window glass or plastic like on the original Boxster?
Old 10-05-2015 | 04:57 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave C4S Cab
Is that rear window glass or plastic like on the original Boxster?
Plastic but apparently a better grade than the 987 one
Old 10-05-2015 | 05:14 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
did you know his right hand was broken?.. or at least, it got broken shortly after this talk? he was walking around shaking with the left
I noticed his left hand shake on Friday (two days before the talk) too but I didn't ask too much about what happened when we talked. He said it was pretty sore and it sure looked like it. Hope he feels and gets better soon!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!