GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015 | 10:21 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Is it just me or do the new spyders just look like nice boxsters?????? Great cars for sure, but something is missing for me.
Old 08-31-2015 | 10:47 PM
Masergss
Instructor

'

Eduardo's color combo is stunning and unique, IMO

I searched/waited almost two years to find a Spyder with the classic color combination of white or silver and natural red leather (I knew Eduardo's Custom order was unobtainable). I love the smell, the feel and am looking forward to owning this classic long enough to become a classic. Not to mention, I have always appreciated the character lines and patina of quality leather that you see in an unrestored, well loved, well exercised vintage automobile.

I get compliments everywhere I go on the color combination of the car. A black interior is beautiful and expected, red is classic with attitude!
Old 08-31-2015 | 10:50 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Is it just me or do the new spyders just look like nice boxsters?????? Great cars for sure, but something is missing for me.
I think I know why. The 987 Spyder was so radically different from the 987 Boxster or Boxster S. Now with a more aggressive design for the 981 and a GTS version maybe less of a dramatic difference from the side and interior.

Also the humps now "streamers" are less pronounced especially from the side.

Just my opinion on why (I have a 987 Spyder) as far as the 981 Spyder overall I think its great. Maybe more modern interpretation; almost poor man's supercar in appearance.

Last edited by JPMD; 08-31-2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default 981 Spyder!!!!

I was out running and saw a jet black boxster gts. It was sunny, it was perfectly clean, anyone but an absolute fanatic of detailing would have been impressed, in short.. It was as good as black can realistically look.

It looked great, but also all the details were gone.. It was just a sexy curvy body, but in the same way a silhouette is beautiful... No details, all suggestion.

I think I'm down to white or gt silver... I want to see the black accents, and the designer's character lines in the metal. I would have needed some kind of heavily metallic black paint for it to work for me.. Something which for now isn't in the Porsche palette.

Last edited by CAlexio; 09-01-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:20 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Well, now I know leather. Thank you. And, I'm also more excited than ever about the red interior in natural leather.
I've only seen the red interior described as "natural Leather" in one place on the website - and I already forgot where it was. I'm hoping they really meant it as they define it in their other cars. This came up a month or so ago when I asked if anyone knew if it was "natural" or not. The pirate found the sentence but the description as natural was not consistent in all the literature so I'm just hoping it's the case.
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:36 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Bolster? Boxster? IMO you need a balance of shadows and light to heighten the surface plains/contours. Black will blend with the shadows so you won't see them - think of the term black out. You would think White would be ideal, but the reflective quality of white makes it hard to see; although, the shadows will contrast with the white paint, the white-out affect will diminish the contours - think of the term snow-blind. IMO the best color will be light enough to contrast with the shadows, but still dark enough to allow the eye to distinguish modulations. I went with Rhodium for this reason among others.
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:47 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Bolster? Boxster? IMO you need a balance of shadows and light to heighten the surface plains/contours. Black will blend with the shadows so you won't see them - think of the term black out. You would think White would be ideal, but the reflective quality of white makes it hard to see; although, the shadows will contrast with the white paint, the white-out affect will diminish the contours - think of the term snow-blind. IMO the best color will be light enough to contrast with the shadows, but still dark enough to allow the eye to distinguish modulations. I went with Rhodium for this reason among others.
Carrara white should show the lines a little better as it's not as bright.
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:53 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Couldn't agree less. In some of the pictures this may be the case, but in person you are talking about an entirely different car. I don't like Boxsters one Iota - no offense and I won't go into details because these things are subjective -clearly. I will say that I saw both at the NY auto show and there was no comparison. The Spyder looks stretched out - and resembles an older car something like a ferrari from the 60s-70s That gt4 bumper and those extra couple of centimeters in length make a huge difference especially with the lower suspension. The air vent up front which creates downforce really signals this is a serious car. The wheels look awesome, Skinny up front and very thick in back and if you didn't notice the brakes are huge in comparison. There is also some rawness to the car that you can see by looking through the wheel wells into the architecture of the car which makes it look like a bespoke supercar. I'm pretty visually oriented so maybe it's just my discerning eye. Just my 2 cents from seeing the cars in person side by side.
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:05 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Carrara white should show the lines a little better as it's not as bright.
True, the CWM has some grey to it, like carrara marble, but GTsilver is probably one of the best colors to heighten the shape/contours. It was too dark for me - I'll probably be doing a lot of desert driving so heat and reflective qualities were important to me this go around so I went the Rhodium which is lighter then GTsilver. I believe the show car was CWM but not 100% sure. I love black cars for their stealth quality. White is just classic -Period. I wish there were more options for colors! Especially more non-metallic color options. Why do the GT4 boys get all the fun?

Any guesses on numbers? My guess is 1 spyder for every 4 gt4s so maybe 200 in the first year in the USA?
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:12 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

True, the CWM has some grey to it, like carrara marble, but GTsilver is probably one of the best colors to heighten the shape/contours. It was too dark for me - I'll probably be doing a lot of desert driving so heat and reflective qualities were important to me this go around so I went the Rhodium which is lighter then GTsilver. I believe the show car was CWM but not 100% sure. I love black cars for their stealth quality. White is just classic -Period. I wish there were more options for colors! Especially more non-metallic color options. Why do the GT4 boys get all the fun?

Any guesses on numbers? My guess is 1 spyder for every 4 gt4s so maybe 200 in the first year in the USA?
Yeah, I wish they had offered a few more colors from the start. At least one other color in the GT silver price range. Carmine red would have been a no brainier
IDK about numbers, I'm guessing you're correct though. All reports seem to say less spyders then gt4 allocations so far.
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:27 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I wish they had offered a few more colors from the start. At least one other color in the GT silver price range. Carmine red would have been a no brainier
IDK about numbers, I'm guessing you're correct though. All reports seem to say less spyders then gt4 allocations so far.
Definitely sort of pissed about carmine red being absent because that would have been awesome and I would have went there. I didn't want to pay PTS prices for a color offered on other cars at half the cost. Wish I had more time to consider the PTS color option. It seemed like the window was open for a couple of weeks and came about with no warning! Carmine Red really would have played up the Ferrari look that the car seems to court IMO. I've heard other Ferrari mentions in a couple of reviews so I know I'm not crazy. I bet next years models if there is one will have more options in the color department. There were going to be 600 Gt4s but now I think some are speculating it's going to be more like 600+ cars. My SA said I was lucky and that they only got 4 Spyder allocations this is in NYC but who knows. Grain of Salt.
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:31 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

I'll say it again, you are lucky to have picked a custom color, and you picked a strong one with personality. It's going to look amazing.
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:40 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Definitely sort of pissed about carmine red being absent because that would have been awesome and I would have went there. I didn't want to pay PTS prices for a color offered on other cars at half the cost. Wish I had more time to consider the PTS color option. It seemed like the window was open for a couple of weeks and came about with no warning! Carmine Red really would have played up the Ferrari look that the car seems to court IMO. I've heard other Ferrari mentions in a couple of reviews so I know I'm not crazy. I bet next years models if there is one will have more options in the color department. There were going to be 600 Gt4s but now I think some are speculating it's going to be more like 600+ cars. My SA said I was lucky and that they only got 4 Spyder allocations this is in NYC but who knows. Grain of Salt.
I think GT4's broke the 600 mark for the USA (Based on VIN's). I was told that the 981 Spyder production will be smaller than the 987.2 Spyder (1883 global, and 891 for North America) How much is the question. My dealer managed to get 4 Spyder and 5 GT4 allocations.
Old 09-01-2015 | 01:06 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Bolster? Boxster? IMO you need a balance of shadows and light to heighten the surface plains/contours. Black will blend with the shadows so you won't see them - think of the term black out.
I totally disagree. I've always felt that no color highlights the lines of the Boxster/Cayman better than black. IMO, this design was tailor made for dark colors and black is the best of the bunch. And with the right wheels, it can be made to look downright mean.
Old 09-01-2015 | 01:10 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I don't agree entirely, as I think it's a bit more distinctive look out back, but I find the things I don't like about the Boxster, I still don't like in the Spyder. I talked to my dealer about an allocation early on, when the first details were leaked and I thought it would be a great car, but the more I looked at the pics and videos, the less it grew on me. I can't fully put my finger on it, but I just don't like the balance of this car. I think it's mostly the back end, but I can't put my finger on it exactly.

Performance wise, I think it's gonna be a hell of a car, but I couldn't get comfortable with the look of it.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!