Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
Keep in mind particulate filters are in play so a smaller engine would have to be that much more exotic to hit the 420 HP power target. I would think the filter robs something like 20-25HP as a guess.
Good point but we are uncertain whether that applies to US cars as of right now?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MsGT3
Hello,

I’ve had a deposit on the new GT4 for some time now with the Porsche dealer here in Colombia. I told them I was interested in the car but it would depend on the specs of the car since there was no info on it at the time.

Today they contacted me and told me that they now have the “official” specs of the car;

4.0L
N/A
420 HP
6 Cylinder
Manual Gearbox

Apparently no PDK opción either.

They also said they got 2 allocations, and were trying to get more (We don’t get many cars here in Colombia).

Anyways I figured I would share, I’m not 100% sure if I should believe this info, this is coming from the only Porsche dealer here in Colombia.
This is exactly what I have been told by the sales person here in Belgium back in January
Old 05-06-2019, 02:49 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Good point but we are uncertain whether that applies to US cars as of right now?
Unknown whether US cars will have them or not, however due to diesel gate and everything I wouldn't be surprised if VAG puts them on all cars.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
US spec speedster's sporting some serious filters. There have been rumors that US and other regions won't get the opf's but all evidence points to filters being universal. No reason to think the GT4 won't get them as well.....

Old 05-06-2019, 03:57 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,

I’ve had a deposit on the new GT4 for some time now with the Porsche dealer here in Colombia. I told them I was interested in the car but it would depend on the specs of the car since there was no info on it at the time.

Today they contacted me and told me that they now have the “official” specs of the car;

4.0L
N/A
420 HP
6 Cylinder
Manual Gearbox

Apparently no PDK opción either.

They also said they got 2 allocations, and were trying to get more (We don’t get many cars here in Colombia).

Anyways I figured I would share, I’m not 100% sure if I should believe this info, this is coming from the only Porsche dealer here in Colombia.
This is exactly what those who are "in the know" have been saying for months. Lord Lucan and a few others are really sticking to their denial and claiming turbo, though.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

MsGT3 and Yellow Submarine, thanks for the input.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:01 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So the chances of PDK are really slim to none? Everywhere I read mentions PDK optional, but doesn’t seem like it.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:07 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Previous rumors from people who may have had inside information indicated that PDK would become an option sometime during the model run. Unknown if that's true and will still happen, or perhaps was true but Porsche changed its mind.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I’d rather have detuned version of the current compliant 4.0. Likely they would reduce the breathing capacity and lower the redline to keep it in check and not spend much to revise it. These would be easily reversed to get close to or better than GT3 specification (larger TB, revised intake, exhaust, etc.) That motor feels plenty “GT” to me. I know I’m probably dreaming at this point.
Not sure what you're meaning but you know that redline can't just be raised because you make the car breathe better, right? It means expensive titanium hardware, reducing reciprocating mass, etc. Not saying you couldn't get GT3 hp out of a detuned version with lower redline, but I am saying you couldn't get GT character and sound without spending a ****load of money.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:53 PM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If the PDK doesn't become an option later down the line that means Porsche saved me a lot of money. Really anticlimactic though. I've had a deposit down since before this thread was created.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by toppestofkeks
If the PDK doesn't become an option later down the line that means Porsche saved me a lot of money. Really anticlimactic though. I've had a deposit down since before this thread was created.
How does this work regarding allocations? Will Porsche announce PDK as an option with the release of the car, or can they just make it an option further down the line? For example, if I get an allocation at the time the car becomes available, can PDK still not be an option until later on? In that case I would have to hold the allocation until PDK becomes optional?

Sorry if my question is confusing, I’ve never had to deal with allocations like this. And the dealer down here is putting a little pressure on me with the whole allocation deal.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

How does this work regarding allocations? Will Porsche announce PDK as an option with the release of the car, or can they just make it an option further down the line? For example, if I get an allocation at the time the car becomes available, can PDK still not be an option until later on? In that case I would have to hold the allocation until PDK becomes optional?

Sorry if my question is confusing, I’ve never had to deal with allocations like this. And the dealer down here is putting a little pressure on me with the whole allocation deal.
If they only get a couple cars there, you might as well grab one while you can.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
If they only get a couple cars there, you might as well grab one while you can.

Unfortunately I'm #4 on the list, supposedly there's 2 confirmed allocations only.

The question was because I would prefer a PDK, but I'm not sure it'll happen before I get a chance at an allocation.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Dealers will get allocations that are tied to a date. When they fill them is up to them. Smaller dealer dates are spread out compared to larger dealers. Therefore it could be that they lose an allocation if not filled in time - fat chance on a car like this.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Not sure what you're meaning but you know that redline can't just be raised because you make the car breathe better, right? It means expensive titanium hardware, reducing reciprocating mass, etc. Not saying you couldn't get GT3 hp out of a detuned version with lower redline, but I am saying you couldn't get GT character and sound without spending a ****load of money.
Yeah, I've built and modified enough engines to understand that. Not always successfully!

What I'm saying is, assuming they've "detuned" the current 4.0 GT3 motor by restricting it's air intake and exhaust and artificially lowering it's redline the above would be possible.

Meaning they've left the crank, connecting rods, and pistons alone in the bottom end. This would be akin to the performance restrictions used to balance performance in race cars ie putting a restrictor on the intake of x mm so it can only produce y horsepower. They may also dumb down the heads with lesser components in the valve train and less lift/duration of the cams while having smaller and shorter runners. This could also be relatively easily dealt with which is basically what an X51 package is. I'm not saying it would be cheap but it's possible.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?