Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:07 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MsGT3
Unfortunately I'm #4 on the list, supposedly there's 2 confirmed allocations only.

The question was because I would prefer a PDK, but I'm not sure it'll happen before I get a chance at an allocation.
The magazines write that a GT4 with PDK will be an option sometime next year. I am sure they have it by the right end, because they are quoting Porsche people saying that they want to give customers the choice.

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Im honestly a bit surprised that demand for this car seems like it will be pretty high. The GT car bubble is bursting, volumes are probably going to be high and the car looks like a .2.
Welcome to the Wonderfull World of Porsche. I haven't got a GT car and I want one before we are all forced into autonomous EV's. It needs to be as analogue as possible. Loud as hell, heavy clutch and a hard ride! Give it to me! Take my money!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
I haven't got a GT car and I want one before we are all forced into autonomous EV's. It needs to be as analogue as possible. Loud as hell, heavy clutch and a hard ride! Give it to me! Take my money!
996.2 GT3
Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Granted, 996 are more analogue than a GT4 but I fancy a new car. Plus I don't like the interiors of that period. Everything counts, even the upholstery.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 244 Posts

Just speculating on my part... Let's assume a GT4 RS (with PDK) will be made available next year or so. A friend of a friend told me that he knows "for sure" this will happen @ a price of about 120k€. Such GT4 RS would have the GT3 engine, maybe slightly detuned to about 475hp.

Now, wouldn't it make more sense to use a simplified version (not that I am knowledgeable about engines, but deleting the expensive parts that let it rev to 9k) of the 4.0 GT3 to make a standard GT4 with 420hp vs using the old 3,8 from the new ClubSport?
The difference between a Carrera engine and a GT3 engine is essentially "the expensive parts". The Porsche product line is very modular and essentially a Carrera engine is a detuned GT3 engine and a GT3 engine is a tuned Carrera engine. The media and many on this thread seem quite obsessed with the engine being a "detuned GT3". It is really just semantics and marketing spin... I recommend to focus on the actual performance stats like HP and RPM and not get hung up on the pedigree or perceived lack there of...
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
The difference between a Carrera engine and a GT3 engine is essentially "the expensive parts". The Porsche product line is very modular and essentially a Carrera engine is a detuned GT3 engine and a GT3 engine is a tuned Carrera engine. The media and many on this thread seem quite obsessed with the engine being a "detuned GT3". It is really just semantics and marketing spin... I recommend to focus on the actual performance stats like HP and RPM and not get hung up on the pedigree or perceived lack there of...
That's really not true. If the GT3 engine was mostly the same but used more exotic materials for pistons and rods and maybe a different intake and tune, then I'd be on board with the statement, but entirely different heads and valve trains goes a bit beyond being the same engine with some different "the expensive parts".
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM
GT04VVV
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New vid

Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
I’m more interested in track durability than I am in a car manufacturer’s published performance numbers. Those “expensive parts” make a difference. Forged rods and crank, a true dry sump, upgraded oil pumps for the top end etc.

Also, the engine doesn’t cost porsche that much, the retail prices quoted don’t equate to the supply cost. It costs more than a 9A1 for sure but it’s marginal compared to the cost of research and Development, international certification, plant tooling costs etc to put a new engine in the 718 GT4 and Spydet that will only sell a few thousand units world wide before they go electric.

That being said, Porsche may intend to sell many more than last time based on the previous success and was able to make a business case that a new engine, or at least a heavily revised one, is warranted.

Again, I’m not expecting it to happen but for those of us who spend a lot of time on the track it would be nice to have that extra little comfort in engineering.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

That GT4 has the red brake calipers while the one from 04/12 by "cvdzijden" had the yellow ones..

Edit: there are 3 different GT4's!
Plate xx 852 has yellow calipers, plates xx 8580 and xx 873 the standard red brakes
Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM
GT04VVV
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That GT4 has the red brake calipers while the one from 04/12 by "cvdzijden" had the yellow ones..

Edit: there are 3 different GT4's!
Plate xx 852 has yellow calipers, plates xx 8580 and xx 873 the standard red brakes
presumably optional PCCB?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I’m more interested in track durability than I am in a car manufacturer’s published performance numbers. Those “expensive parts” make a difference. Forged rods and crank, a true dry sump, upgraded oil pumps for the top end etc.
Be careful there....981 GT4 turned out to be more reliable in the engine department than the 991.1 GT3...and we just had a lowly de-tuned 991 Carrera S engine.
But I do agree with your statement......for those that track durability and the manufacturer standing behind the product even when used on track is very important.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:30 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 008

Also, the engine doesn’t cost porsche that much, the retail prices quoted don’t equate to the supply cost. It costs more than a 9A1 for sure but it’s marginal compared to the cost of research and Development, international certification, plant tooling costs etc to put a new engine in the 718 GT4 and Spydet that will only sell a few thousand units world wide before they go electric.

That being said, Porsche may intend to sell many more than last time based on the previous success and was able to make a business case that a new engine, or at least a heavily revised one, is warranted.

Again, I’m not expecting it to happen but for those of us who spend a lot of time on the track it would be nice to have that extra little comfort in engineering.
If you want track durability you want the 981
718 GT4cs kept the 3.8, that engine will probably have more race miles on it than anything else in the PMA catalog.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Be careful there....981 GT4 turned out to be more reliable in the engine department than the 991.1 GT3...and we just had a lowly de-tuned 991 Carrera S engine.
But I do agree with your statement......for those that track durability and the manufacturer standing behind the product even when used on track is very important.
Originally Posted by ajw45
If you want track durability you want the 981
718 GT4cs kept the 3.8, that engine will probably have more race miles on it than anything else in the PMA catalog.

Great point! I have a 9A1 in my 99.1S too and have come to love the lump for what it is.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

I mean... they're blowing out transmissions left right and center but the engines are rock solid!!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:10 PM
blipit
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Conibere
Sounds more NA in this video than the last. The GPF is definitely making it difficult to nail down what motor it is. The filters really do quiet down exhaust notes. Interesting that the Speedster exhaust is 22lbs lighter than the RS because of the GPF. They reduce sound so much, the side mufflers are not needed.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Totor
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Same kind of noise as 992 tracking last week-end... unfortunately not very nice...

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?