Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019 | 01:30 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hams955
Have Dundon on the 4 and the RS. Love the sound. Have the GT3 muffler on the 4 as well. Sounds wicked.
Can you run the stock center exhaust with the Dundon headers for the RS?
Old 05-04-2019 | 08:33 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
If you're asking me it's Sapphire Blue.
Sorry should’ve specified - wasn’t you.
Old 05-04-2019 | 09:05 AM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by skxf430
Can you run the stock center exhaust with the Dundon headers for the RS?
Yes. They replace the factory manifolds and side mufflers. I run my setup with the oem rear section.
Old 05-04-2019 | 09:05 AM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Sorry should’ve specified - wasn’t you.
i think you meant my car.

It is Olympic Blue.
Old 05-06-2019 | 07:07 AM
pothole
AutoX

Originally Posted by Soapman72
I've been hearing the same.....recent videos seem to support the flat 6 theory, but WHICH one? Kind of a crucial detail, because I feel that it is a major distinction, and will make the car much more special, and deserving of the GT4 name, if they put a 4.0 GT motor in it.
Disagree. All depends on the output. 4.0 420hp not particularly GT car to me. 3.6 and 420hp, now that would make for an exciting GT4.

Given the power on the GT4 is very likely going to be limited to make it sit right in the product portfolio, I'd prefer that power came from a smaller, not a larger engine. Problem is, most folk think like you, associate '4.0' with GT car, see 4.0 as a thing to aspire to in its own right. Me, I want a revvy, racey, peaky engine in a GT4, not a torquey muscle-car style engine.

3.6 and 420hp would be very similar to the 997.1 GT3 engine. Which is a ****ing nice lump. Actually, just buy a 997.1 GT3 and sod waiting for the GT4. Better steering, more overall feedback, no fighting for allocation at your dealer or waiting to see if the car ever appears, no feeling disappointed when the next GT4 appears and it looks shinier - your GT3 is already a bit old and charming and will just get more charming.

No need to thank me!
Old 05-06-2019 | 08:04 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

With the next GT4 after the 718, you mean the electric one?
Old 05-06-2019 | 09:23 AM
Soapman72
Advanced

Originally Posted by pothole
Disagree. All depends on the output. 4.0 420hp not particularly GT car to me. 3.6 and 420hp, now that would make for an exciting GT4.

Given the power on the GT4 is very likely going to be limited to make it sit right in the product portfolio, I'd prefer that power came from a smaller, not a larger engine. Problem is, most folk think like you, associate '4.0' with GT car, see 4.0 as a thing to aspire to in its own right. Me, I want a revvy, racey, peaky engine in a GT4, not a torquey muscle-car style engine.

3.6 and 420hp would be very similar to the 997.1 GT3 engine. Which is a ****ing nice lump. Actually, just buy a 997.1 GT3 and sod waiting for the GT4. Better steering, more overall feedback, no fighting for allocation at your dealer or waiting to see if the car ever appears, no feeling disappointed when the next GT4 appears and it looks shinier - your GT3 is already a bit old and charming and will just get more charming.

No need to thank me!
I actually dont care what the displacement is. I just dont want an old hand me down engine from a Carrera S. That said, the new car will likely oit run all current 718 models in a straight line. Given the roughly 3.6 sec to 60 and 12.0 quarter of the new S and GTS, The larger displacement engine will facilitate this marketing goal. Also Porsche will never make a unique 3.6L for this car only. The volume is too small. It makes the most financial sense for them to use something that is currently in production and emissions certified.
Old 05-06-2019 | 09:55 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Originally Posted by pothole

No need to thank me!
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. I rather have a smaller revvy engine as well. 3.8l is actually quite large enough already for this car. There ought to be ways to get more power out of it without making it bigger. One thing I do notice is that the current GT4 is incredibly thirsty at the track. I get a couple of 20-30 minutes sessions and the damn extended range tank is almost empty, that is crazy. This engine has ~20% more displacement than my last track car and makes about that much more power, but it uses easily 50% more gas. Considering that this is a lighter and 15 year newer car, that is one thing that isn't impressive about it.

Originally Posted by Soapman72
I actually dont care what the displacement is. I just dont want an old hand me down engine from a Carrera S. That said, the new car will likely oit run all current 718 models in a straight line. Given the roughly 3.6 sec to 60 and 12.0 quarter of the new S and GTS, The larger displacement engine will facilitate this marketing goal. Also Porsche will never make a unique 3.6L for this car only. The volume is too small. It makes the most financial sense for them to use something that is currently in production and emissions certified.
I kind of doubt that the GT4 will be faster 0-60 than the current S and GTS. Not sure that is achievable without going turbo. That is going to become more and more the conundrum for Porsche. Yes, we all want N/A engines in our GT cars, but it's probably a battle we will eventually lose. Look at Ferrari, BMW M etc. all having to go turbo to keep up.
Old 05-06-2019 | 10:13 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. I rather have a smaller revvy engine as well. 3.8l is actually quite large enough already for this car. There ought to be ways to get more power out of it without making it bigger. One thing I do notice is that the current GT4 is incredibly thirsty at the track. I get a couple of 20-30 minutes sessions and the damn extended range tank is almost empty, that is crazy. This engine has ~20% more displacement than my last track car and makes about that much more power, but it uses easily 50% more gas. Considering that this is a lighter and 15 year newer car, that is one thing that isn't impressive about it.

I kind of doubt that the GT4 will be faster 0-60 than the current S and GTS. Not sure that is achievable without going turbo. That is going to become more and more the conundrum for Porsche. Yes, we all want N/A engines in our GT cars, but it's probably a battle we will eventually lose. Look at Ferrari, BMW M etc. all having to go turbo to keep up.

Agree 100% with Mozart. Well reasoned out. My impression is the same as well. The motor is incredibly thirsty at the track. On normal driving I have gotten 380 miles on a tank when I drove to Asheville from Atlanta. So it's a broad stretch of performance. Motor being stock with the gearing it feels like it runs out of breath at the top end. I am sure some aftermarket mods would take care of it for me. All depends on whether I keep my current car or swap which depends on what the next car has in terms of motor. Sure everyone is in the same boat. If I stick with this car then I will definitely go nuts with Dundon parts on it. And some new forged wheels. And probably keep it forever.
Old 05-06-2019 | 11:58 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Agree 100% with Mozart........The motor is incredibly thirsty at the track
+1
Old 05-06-2019 | 12:20 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Hello,

I’ve had a deposit on the new GT4 for some time now with the Porsche dealer here in Colombia. I told them I was interested in the car but it would depend on the specs of the car since there was no info on it at the time.

Today they contacted me and told me that they now have the “official” specs of the car;

4.0L
N/A
420 HP
6 Cylinder
Manual Gearbox

Apparently no PDK option either.

They also said they got 2 allocations, and were trying to get more (We don’t get many cars here in Colombia).

Anyways I figured I would share, I’m not 100% sure if I should believe this info, this is coming from the only Porsche dealer here in Colombia.

Last edited by MsGT3; 05-06-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2019 | 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I’d rather have detuned version of the current compliant 4.0. Likely they would reduce the breathing capacity and lower the redline to keep it in check and not spend much to revise it. These would be easily reversed to get close to or better than GT3 specification (larger TB, revised intake, exhaust, etc.) That motor feels plenty “GT” to me. I know I’m probably dreaming at this point.
Old 05-06-2019 | 01:21 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by MsGT3
Hello,

I’ve had a deposit on the new GT4 for some time now with the Porsche dealer here in Colombia. I told them I was interested in the car but it would depend on the specs of the car since there was no info on it at the time.

Today they contacted me and told me that they now have the “official” specs of the car;

4.0L
N/A
420 HP
6 Cylinder
Manual Gearbox

Apparently no PDK opción either.

They also said they got 2 allocations, and were trying to get more (We don’t get many cars here in Colombia).

Anyways I figured I would share, I’m not 100% sure if I should believe this info, this is coming from the only Porsche dealer here in Colombia.
Old 05-06-2019 | 01:28 PM
trkshoe
Racer

Indeed...
Old 05-06-2019 | 01:41 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind particulate filters are in play so a smaller engine would have to be that much more exotic to hit the 420 HP power target. I would think the filter robs something like 20-25HP as a guess.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?