Notices

OT: 960

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2019 has gotta be wrong. That would be a couple of years after the 458 replacement launches, as well as the 12C/650S replacement from McLaren. Although I have heard nothing about the latter.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Don't like the way porsche is heading lately. Would love to be a fly on the wall at the board meetings when they make these decisions.
This. Big time.

Originally Posted by MKW
the easy money is in the low hanging fruit of their ever expanding high volume non sport car lines ...dealers love it too, as it keeps their showrooms and lucrative service operations humming along
If they are so concerned with sales figures, maybe they should give up on making "Legendary" performance cars and stick to SUV's for soccer moms.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
2019 has gotta be wrong. That would be a couple of years after the 458 replacement launches, as well as the 12C/650S replacement from McLaren. Although I have heard nothing about the latter.
The author is Georg Kacher, one of the most respected automotive journalists in Europe. He doesn't make captivating videos of himself drifting, but he does have arguably the finest network of Continental contacts and sources to compliment his enviable industry knowledge. If he wrote it, it's probably as true as can be, at least for now.

Ask yourself:

Have you seen a mule? I haven't.

Is there any clarity surrounding the drivetrain? Haven't heard anything definitive.

Does Porsche have the engineering resources to develop the car at present? Doubtful. GT3 team under Preuninger are busy fixing their mistake with the 991 GT3, then they'll move to complete the 991 GT3 RS. There's also a full team of people trying mightily to sell the 918. Don't forget the motorsports commitments - Porsche is racing at Le Mans in just over a month with a car that proved to be less reliable than the competition last weekend at Spa.

960 isn't a priority; if you were a shareholder would you want them allocating resources to the project?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The author is Georg Kacher, one of the most respected automotive journalists in Europe. He doesn't make captivating videos of himself drifting, but he does have arguably the finest network of Continental contacts and sources to compliment his enviable industry knowledge. If he wrote it, it's probably as true as can be, at least for now.

Ask yourself:

Have you seen a mule? I haven't.

Is there any clarity surrounding the drivetrain? Haven't heard anything definitive.

Does Porsche have the engineering resources to develop the car at present? Doubtful. GT3 team under Preuninger are busy fixing their mistake with the 991 GT3, then they'll move to complete the 991 GT3 RS. There's also a full team of people trying mightily to sell the 918. Don't forget the motorsports commitments - Porsche is racing at Le Mans in just over a month with a car that proved to be less reliable than the competition last weekend at Spa.

960 isn't a priority; if you were a shareholder would you want them allocating resources to the project?
You make good points. However, the 918 is finished and the only resources dedicated to it are related to marketing. I suspect the same people who worked to develop the 918 will be working on the 960. There will be substantial crossover technology.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
You make good points. However, the 918 is finished and the only resources dedicated to it are related to marketing. I suspect the same people who worked to develop the 918 will be working on the 960. There will be substantial crossover technology.
I meant to say this as well; the 918 has been a failure when compared to the P1 and LaFerrari. They're sold out, the Porsche ain't. Sure, Porsche is making more cars - 918 is the goal - but they telegraphed that early, and now they may not achieve it. The same thing happened with the Carrera GT!

The 991 GT3 is also an abysmal black eye in economic terms.

If I were a shareholder, I would want Porsche to stop building supercars, stop racing in the WEC, etc. I would want mass-market 4 door SUVs, CUVs, and sedans, along with a few 911s to burnish the corporate image.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If I were a shareholder, I would want Porsche to stop building supercars, stop racing in the WEC, etc. I would want mass-market 4 door SUVs, CUVs, and sedans, along with a few 911s to burnish the corporate image.
Since I am not a shareholder, merely a sports car enthusiast, I would say that, unfortunately, this seems to be the precise direction Porsche is headed....
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Guess we will have the Cayenne Coupe to look forward to in the mean time. I wish I was kidding.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Guess we will have the Cayenne Coupe to look forward to in the mean time. I wish I was kidding.
+1

Ugh.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

IMO People buy cayenne, macan, etc--- Partly because of the reputation porsche has created from producing excellent sports cars.

If they lose that reputation, sales of all models will fall.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Since I am not a shareholder, merely a sports car enthusiast, I would say that, unfortunately, this seems to be the precise direction Porsche is headed....
Originally Posted by -eztrader-
IMO People buy cayenne, macan, etc--- Partly because of the reputation porsche has created from producing excellent sports cars.

If they lose that reputation, sales of all models will fall.
I was at the PCA club race at Road Atlanta with a buddy of mine in late March. There were hundreds of people there, many of whom are passionate Porschephiles and have spent $$$$$ over the years on Porsches for street and track.

A similar conversation ensued with other enthusiasts regarding the direction of the brand.

As much as we gnash our teeth and pull out our hair, Porsche AG, PCNA, and your local dealer don't give a **** about the PCA, Panorama, Rennlist, R-Gruppe, Magnus Walker, RWB, Singer, etc. crowd. We're a niche. PCNA employees in their sweetheart deal company cars (identifiable by their "HT XXXX" Georgia plates) were conspicuously absent at one of the finest road courses in North America, situated less than 40 minutes from their office. Wonder why?

The real profit opportunity is monetizing the badge that the older cars earned gradually over time (on the street, at Le Mans, etc.). It may backfire and the brand may ultimately suffer, but it's a risk the PAG board is willing to take.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus

If they are so concerned with sales figures, maybe they should give up on making "Legendary" performance cars and stick to SUV's for soccer moms.
there are very few long time iconic halo sporty car nameplates available right now that have never stopped production going back more than 5 decades ......and this brand equity is therefore priceless and will never be " given up "

Porsche : the 911 ....50+ years
Ford. : the Mustang ....50+ years
MBZ : the SL .....55+ years
GM : the Corvette .....60+ years
Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW
there are very few long time iconic halo sporty car nameplates available right now that have never stopped production going back more than 5 decades ......and this brand equity is therefore priceless and will never be " given up "

Porsche : the 911 ....50+ years
Ford. : the Mustang ....50+ years
MBZ : the SL .....55+ years
GM : the Corvette .....60+ years
You can add the Jeep to that list; "sporty" in a different way.

But there are many more automotive brands that were around for even longer, but folded due to poor management decisions. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - VW is following GM's flawed game plan of acquiring brands to win the sales race, then badge engineering models within the brands to maximize profits. It may work in the short term, but in the long term it leads to cannibalization of sales, devaluation of brands, and ultimately restructuring.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 660 Likes on 334 Posts

I actually see it different.

-For the first time in many years, Porsche has put out a full on effort to win LeMans.
-For the first time...ever(??) Porsche is running a "factory" effort in the US.
-For the first time...ever(??) Porsche is running a "factory" effort in Europe (they actually purchased ownership in Mathany didn't they?)

I may be wrong on my "first time evers", but Porsche is putting in one of its most comprehensive and complete racing efforts in a long, long time. I, for one, am encouraged.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

But is there any more of a link between their racing efforts and vehicles currently in the showroom than between a NASCAR Camry and the one you can buy? It doesn't do me any good for Porsche to win LeMans if they are more interested in selling me a rebadged Audi crossover.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I meant to say this as well; the 918 has been a failure when compared to the P1 and LaFerrari. They're sold out, the Porsche ain't. Sure, Porsche is making more cars - 918 is the goal - but they telegraphed that early, and now they may not achieve it. The same thing happened with the Carrera GT!

The 991 GT3 is also an abysmal black eye in economic terms.

It depends on how you look at it. Do you realize that Porsche has sold more 918s' than McLaren sold P1s' and Ferrari LF? There is no doubt they will sell the car out.

However, I do agree that the corporate plan is to sell mass market cars which are attractive because of the brand. How long that brand attracts is dependent on how well their sport cars perform. Of late, they have not been doing very well.

Quick Reply: OT: 960